Random Acts of Kindness

Phantom

I was recently reading an article on Buzzfeed that got me thinking about what I can do to help other people just barbecue.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-world-isnt-such-a-bad-place

There are so many different situations that make it clear and known that even the smallest thing has the biggest impact on people, especially those who really need it. I know for a fact that for awhile I was suffering from a PTSD flashback on my way to work where I was really freaking out at Suburban Station in Philly where one of the Philly Police came to me, asked if I was alright and I guess the look in my face told him all he needed to know. He took me to one of the quite places in the station and let me sit down, got me a cup of water and just started talking about random things to get my mind out of the fixation I was in. When I was doing okay he took the time to walk me to my building at Two Liberty Place and made sure that I was okay before going to work. That will always stick with me and I really wish I could remember his name and just give my thanks. I did write a letter to Philly Police dept complimenting them on the amazing care that there staff exude to customers and passengers.

Later that day there was a homeless kid who looked hungry and scared so I took him out for dinner at IHOP and let him get whatever he wanted and at the same time I gave him the numbers that I knew of that helped him. I didn't pump him for information but just chatted with him because I remembered what that Philly cop did for me and I wanted to pay it forward.

Since then I always look for a way to help someone as best I can and was wondering if something like this has happened to you. It doesn't have to be a personal story but something that you've seen and want to share. I just think that we all need a breath of fresh air to show that in this chaotic world there are always something amazing that is going on.

• Like 5

When I was sixteen, my dad had a major heart attack while on a day trip out of state. I had the emergency cash he usually left me and some money I had earned babysitting, about $50 total. Dad was in the hospital for 3 weeks, and I still had that $50 when he got home. 

My sister and I would find bags of non-perishable groceries and personal care supplies on the porch when we got home from school. I would walk, since I didn't have a permit yet, to the local grocery store for milk, only to have the manager get bags of perishables, milk & meat, from his walk in. The donors wanted to be anonymous, and we never found out who was doing it, but we didn't go without.

• Like 3

I have no such wonderful stories.

But on a fairly regular basis if I see someone out and about (often on trains and such) who had particularly cool hair/shoes/eye liner/fabulous shirt/awesome earrings - I make a point of breaking the english "never speak to anyone you don't know while travelling" rule, and tell them so. Most often I catch them secretly smiling to themselves afterwards.

I also always pick up lone hitchickers, especially in the rain.

• Like 2

This isn't mine but I saw this pic today on reddit and I couldn't help but smile! I love the fact that this dad is encouraging his son or daughter's (can't really tell) creativity in his own way. 

0kfuB4q.jpg

Edited by Astro
  • Like 1

A few years ago, there was a natural disaster that destroyed over 1,800 homes. Thousands were left homeless. Even those with insurance were left mentally scarred and crippled, unsure of shelter, waiting for things to start to work out.

One of these, along with his domestic partner and their 2 dogs, happened to be a part of an online community. Word got out about what had happened, and 2 members of that community each put together a care package and shipped it to the victim.

One gift in the first package was a blanket. With fall closing in and being unsure of anything, having lost everything, they received a gift of warmth. The second package contained three special gifts. The first was a book, To Kill a Mockingbird, to begin to replace a library lost. The second and third were toys for the dogs. You see, the 2-legged people weren't the only ones who lost it all, and in the aftermath, that was all but forgotten.

We've bought a dozen blankets since then, but we'll always keep the one Wayne sent as a reminder. The dog toys have a finite life, but I'll never forget that KC sent me that book.

Sometimes, the smallest things can mean the most.

• Like 2

I don't know how many of you are members of goodreads, but one of the authors there nearly lost his partner to a brain tumor.  Someone posted about it in a blog and before anyone really knew it, these two guys had the money they needed to go home and get the care needed (beyond what the insurance was paying out).  I learned about this after the fact, but it's amazing how good-hearted people can really be.

P.S. Last I heard, the guy has pulled through and will be moving back into his house soon.

• Like 1