New Microsoft VP consigns the PC to irrelevance

hh5

mccoy_hockey_stick_its_dead_jim.jpg

With the Nokia acquisition, Microsoft hardly sees the PC as its future. Upcoming devices will likely further distance Microsoft from its PC past. Is the PC dead yet? No, but Microsoft-owned Nokia makes no bones about its increasing irrelevance.

Ronee2020

I use my pc for so many things, its like a command center.  Not even a laptop can replace it...the idea of using a cell phone or tablet is ludicrous.  I am also a gamer, and like the full graphics of a pc for my playing pleasure.  Take nokia and shove it somewhere!  What a ridiculous CEO you have now, Microsoft....just when I thought you couldn't get worse!

DavidG3276
Elop has demonstrated that Microsoft's long tradition of having clueless executives in charge will continue for the foreseeable future. Those clunkers known as PCs are what have kept Microsoft from going out of business thanks to its virtual monopoly of both operating system software and office suite. 

the PC will never be irrelevant to people who actually use them. And I'm not talking about office kids or writers. I mean geeks. and not trendy hipster geeks, but those "bedroom programmers" who are destined to run the future of our technological world.

If you can truly tell a computer what to do, then the world is really your shell-fish of choice. no phone/tablet/laptop/etc will ever be as powerful, as secure, or have the potential for customization that a PC has.

I'm so happy i married a geek...

• Like 1

Mobile devices account for 37% of internet activity, with the greatest share going to things like checking the weather, listening to music and connecting with social media.  The PC will probably be around for a long time, but it's not the centerpiece of internet activity that it used to be.  Cell phones were bound to evolve into more simply because it was possible.  It can be inconvenient to rely on a PC for all your internet activity, just like it was inconvenient to rely on a wired phone before cell phones made it possible to call from anywhere.

Now we have iPhones, smartphones and tablets, which can access your PC from anywhere.  It's like having your PC with you when you need it, and at some point you will want access to your PC when your not where it is.  Your mobile device still can't replace your PC.  I'm pretty sure something will replace all of these things eventually.  Technology will always make the latest thing a thing of the past as it evolves.  At this point mobile and stationary are merging.  What happens in the future is anybody's guess.  The only thing that's certain is there will be change.  Some changes will be positive, and others not.  Net neutrality is in danger of being destroyed.  Hopefully, something will happen to stop that threat.

• Like 1

Modern IT can be viewed as layers.

Institutional Systems/networks- goverenment and university networks. They have the big iron and budgets. They have lots of operators and users and a relatively high level of security.. 

The next layer is corporate businesses that need serious computer power. They are similar to the top layer but tend to be leaner and maybe more modern.

The next layer is smaller businesses without formal IT structure or staff but statutory requirements for data retention and tax records.

The bottom layer will be around the home and home office.

Mobile devices and apps will intersect with all of these layers but can't really replace them.

They add mobility and availability but they can't replace the big iron.

• Like 1