Zombie

Glastonbury. A place of mystery and Arthurian legend...

505023148_d050534fa8_o-1024x680.jpg

And where this dairy farmer, Michael Eavis, farms his land

article-2548435-067CB6610000044D-509_634

But Farmer Eavis - who's 78 - ain't no ornerry farmer. Oh no. Well, he is a farmer - that's his full time job - but he's also one of the key players in the global music business. For over 40 years he has organised and held the Glastonbury Festival [now the Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts] on his farmland - every year [more or less] since 1980. He has personally arranged for the biggest names in music to come from all over the world to perform in his fields - for a fraction of what big names and bands normally charge - often doing the deal around his kitchen table. This "business model" has helped him raise millions for charity and good causes. But every year it's he that takes the financial risk - effectively betting the farm

Will I be joining the 175,000 who'll be there? No - it'll rain :P Besides the Beeb's got over 250 hours of Glastonbury this weekend - the biggest names live - so I'll be watching bands like this in comfort... with the vol on 11 :lol:

So if you can get Beeb progs in your country you might want to check out who's on :)

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 3

Thats pretty cool. I've seen lots of clips of Glastonbury, but never knew it was on a farm or that it was for charity.

The big one around here is the Made in America Festival, which Jay-Z has run for the past couple years now. Its really cool because it's held on the Ben Franklin Parkway, right in the middle of Center City Philadelphia. 

crowd-made-in-america-festival-gets-off-

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I have friends that lived in Glastonbury for years.  One of these days I'll hop the pond to visit, hopefully within the next year.  :)