Scrivener and the GA editor

Go to solution Solved by Renee Stevens,

Hi

I'm having a problem, and I'm hoping that somone can help.  I write in Scrivener, and whilst I have it very nicely set up for all of my other tasks, getting stuff into GA seems to be a complete nightmare.  Mostly, as far as I can tell, this is because the final text on GA is rendered differently to the editor display, and you can't see the formatting marks to help you spot any problems.  This is mostly a spacing/no spacing/accidental double spacing issue.  I'm new here, so if I'm already wrong e.g. you can show formatting) then please tell me :)

So my question is, does anyone have a good workflow for getting something that looks OK In Scrivener into GA.  I may well be missing something easy or obvious, I'm not above that.

It would also be great if this worked in iOS (through not essential, I do have a regular mac) because despite the GA opinion that they 'are not content creation devices', in the real world they really are, and I spend a lot of time working on one.

Thanks

Sam

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

The 'not content creation devices' isn't our belief as in we don't think people write on those devices, it's simply that the programming on websites that accept text just doesn't work well with the way mobile devices format things. While more and more people are shifting from computers to tablets or phones as their primary internet device, technology for that sort of thing just hasn't caught up. The current work is still focused making everything on the site compatible just for viewing, much less anything else. 

I don't use Scrivener, but I do know if you copy and paste your text into the editor and use the link that appears below to remove the formatting, you'll end up with properly spaced text. Yes, you do have to go through and add back any bold/italics, but it takes away a lot of the issues. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Cia said:

I don't use Scrivener, but I do know if you copy and paste your text into the editor and use the link that appears below to remove the formatting, you'll end up with properly spaced text. Yes, you do have to go through and add back any bold/italics, but it takes away a lot of the issues. 

This definitely hasn't been experience - but maybe that's more about my workflow than anything else, it presumably works perfect well for most people.

• Like 1
  • Solution
22 hours ago, Sam Wyer said:

Hi

I'm having a problem, and I'm hoping that somone can help.  I write in Scrivener, and whilst I have it very nicely set up for all of my other tasks, getting stuff into GA seems to be a complete nightmare.  Mostly, as far as I can tell, this is because the final text on GA is rendered differently to the editor display, and you can't see the formatting marks to help you spot any problems.  This is mostly a spacing/no spacing/accidental double spacing issue.  I'm new here, so if I'm already wrong e.g. you can show formatting) then please tell me :)

So my question is, does anyone have a good workflow for getting something that looks OK In Scrivener into GA.  I may well be missing something easy or obvious, I'm not above that.

It would also be great if this worked in iOS (through not essential, I do have a regular mac) because despite the GA opinion that they 'are not content creation devices', in the real world they really are, and I spend a lot of time working on one.

Thanks

Sam

I use scrivener, but when I'm going to post a story on GA, I copy the chapter into Microsoft Word or another GA editor friendly program, make sure my formatting is correct, then copy it from there into the GA editor.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Renee Stevens said:

I use scrivener, but when I'm going to post a story on GA, I copy the chapter into Microsoft Word or another GA editor friendly program, make sure my formatting is correct, then copy it from there into the GA editor.

Yes, I'm going to have to experiment with Pages as I don't really want Word just for that, but I think something like you're method is going to be the answer for me.

• Like 1
Just now, Sam Wyer said:

Yes, I'm going to have to experiment with Pages as I don't really want Word just for that, but I think something like you're method is going to be the answer for me.

There's a free program, open office, that is similar to Word, that will work as well.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Renee Stevens said:

There's a free program, open office, that is similar to Word, that will work as well.

Yes, thanks :)  I actually use LibreOffice (it's basically the same) on my desktop mac if I need to, but if I can get Pages to play then I can be fully iOS compliant for those 'out of office' days.

• Like 1