20th Century Nostalgia

So, here is a place to talk about 20th century popular culture, music, movies, and historical events. What was your favorite decade? What was your least favorite? What movies do you still watch? What songs still get stuck in your head? 

Here's a song from 1902:

Here's a song from 1999:

Movies changed a great deal as well From Easy Street, one of the top films of 1917 to high budget action films like Armageddon in 1998.

ESlogo.jpg

81EdPNC3STL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 9:35 AM, Larry Davis said:

Since I am from the 90s, that is my favorite genre. 

This is one of my favorite songs from 1999.

That was also the year Star Wars Episode I came out. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And how can we talk about the 20th century without musicals! Naturally, Les Miserables, the musical was also done in French! This is Mon Histoire (On My Own)!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I was born in the 1990s, and I loved playing "Mortal Kombat," "Super Mario 3," "Alfred Chicken," "Donkey Kong Country," "Street Fighter," among many others, on my Super Nintendo. Then, my parents got a Nintendo 64 for me, and I loved "Pokémon Snap," "Pokémon Stadium," "Pokémon Stadium 2," "Super Mario 64," "Mario Kart 64," "Super Smash Bros." and many more! As you can see, I was obsessed with Pokémon, and still are! Lots of fond memories playing "Pokémon Blue," "Pokémon Red," "Pokémon Yellow," "Pokémon Gold," "Pokémon Silver," and "Pokémon Crystal" with my Game Boy Color. Beautiful memories linking my Game Boy Color with my friends in order to trade Pokémon and have battles. I had the cards, too! Twenty years later, and I'm still a huge Pokémon fan! I received a Play Station in 1999 and my favorite game was "Battle Arena Toshinden 3."

• Haha 1

Other fond memories:

My father renting "An American Tale" (1986), "The Little Mermaid" (1989), "Beauty and the Beast" (1991), "Aladdin" (1992), "The Lion King" (1994), "Pocahontas" (1995), "Toy Story" (1995), "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1996), "Hercules" (1997), "Anastasia" (1997), "Mulan" (1998), "Tarzan" (1999), and many, many more!

Collecting tazos, cards, Gogo's Crazy Bones, and sticker albums.

Buying magazines for the posters.

Waiting every week to watch my favorite show.

Carrying around a CD player with a bag full of CDs to play. Shakira and Britney Spears were my favorite 1990s singers. I remember going to the music store to get the cassettes or CDs.  "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers," "Rugrats," "Clarissa Explains It All," "Sabrina the Teenage Witch," "Ghostwriter," "Rocko's Modern Life," "Johnny Bravo," "Dexter's Laboratory," "The Powerpuff Girls," "The Angry Beavers," "Hey, Arnold!" "Cow and Chicken," "Courage the Cowardly Dog," "Doug," "As Told by Ginger," "Dragon Ball," "Pokémon," "Cardcaptor Sakura," "Sailor Moon," "Saint Seiya," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Charmed," among many more, were my favorite shows.

I could go on and on, but I what I truly miss the most was how carefree my childhood years were; to know that they aren't coming back is sometimes hard to accept.

• Haha 1

I terribly miss the fact that people were not glued to their handheld devices back then! Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone, but I can definitely live without it; some people depend upon their smart phones to do absolutely everything! They don't bother building up friendships or going out to the zoo or a museum. When I was little, I used to play with my friends on the streets; nowadays, you see babies playing with tablets. Yes, thanks to technology, I can have my whole music and book libraries on my fingertips, but lots of things have been lost because of it. I miss the simplicity of those days, BUT not the bigotry that we as homosexuals were subjected to.

• Love 1

I have four plus decades that I lived through to consider. (Of course, I wasn’t really aware of the first one and don’t remember it at all because I was too young at the time, so that’s the ‘plus’.)  ;–)

My favorite decade was the ‘80s. I love the music (New Wave) and the movies (Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, some of the early Star Treks, John Hughes, Spielberg, etc). My first VCR, a $1000 entry-level Sony Betamax SL-5400 in 1980 – later replaced with a Sony SuperBeta HiFi SLHF-400! Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series was still being serialized in the SF Chronicle and the SF Examiner, although the decade closed out with the unserialized Sure of You, the sixth book in the now-nine book series.  ;–)

In mid-decade, I started Coming Out and began volunteering with an AIDS education and support organization. I bought my first new car, a 4-door 1984 Mazda 626 sedan. I bought the first of many CD players. I got my first soft contacts for my eyes. I also got braces for my teeth – and got them removed before the decade ended!  ;–)

I wouldn’t buy my first one until the ‘90s, but the original Macintosh was introduced in 1984 (Apple itself was founded on April 1, 1976).  ;–)

Unfortunately HIV/AIDS was first identified in the early Eighties – and while there are treatments that work for many (but not all), there is still no cure!