Newsletter Subscription

Go to solution Solved by Cia,

A while back I remember the notice about needing to sign up for the newsletter again due to some European laws, and I clicked on something onsite that asked me to subscribe, but I didn't get last week's or this week's newsletters, so I'm assuming that didn't work.  I just went to the home page and followed the link to Subscribe, put in my email and username, and things went fine until the last step where you have to prove you're not a robot.  I saw the box with a check box in it, and the word reCapta, but nothing to read or type in what might have been there.  This could be due to my need for high-contrast settings, but even if they were off, I couldn't read one of these things.

Can one of the Admins please sign me up again using ColumbusGuy and my hdrainer@hotmail.com email?  Otherwise, I'm locked out of this site feature.

Thanks!  Oh, one of my friends said if I logged out, then back in that something would show up asking me if I wanted to sign up for it again...well, it didn't show up.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

This link to the subscription page, if anyone else who isn't a subscriber needs it: http://gayauthors.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=8586b6deff96506015dc71fc4&id=269eaacf64

Yes, the "Prove you're a human" recaptcha page brings up a pop up where it tells you to identify all boxes in the image that have such and such type of image in them, (such as a bridge, or car, or sign) or to press the skip button if none of the boxes have those image. That brings up another pop up boxed image to select areas with some type of image and verify that you're a human. Once you select all boxes with the type of image, click the 'verify' box, it checks the recaptcha box with a green arrow and says, "I am not a robot" and the option to press on the 'Subscribe to List' gray button becomes available. 

However... if you're already subscribed to the list, you don't have to do the full sign up like a new subscriber. You just need to update your subscriber information. Once you've completed all those steps in the last paragraph, it'll tell you that  you're already subscribed and give you a link that tells you to update your account, BUT that has to be done via an email that is automatically sent to the email account on file from that point. And apparently you didn't get that far.

This GDPR update email was sent out directly to everyone on the list several weeks back with a button link to update your settings, and I think that avoids the whole 'prove you're not a robot' thing. Not 100% sure on how that works for our subscribers as a step-by-step process, since I'm the list owner. I am going to send out a targeted GDPR campaign to just your email with that update your settings link, and hopefully that will help you. If not, you may have to ask for someone in person to assist you with the recaptcha since that is part of the whole compliance thing, and not an option we picked out just for the fun of it. Sorry! 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Cia said:

This link to the subscription page, if anyone else who isn't a subscriber needs it: http://gayauthors.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=8586b6deff96506015dc71fc4&id=269eaacf64

Yes, the "Prove you're a human" recaptcha page brings up a pop up where it tells you to identify all boxes in the image that have such and such type of image in them, (such as a bridge, or car, or sign) or to press the skip button if none of the boxes have those image. That brings up another pop up boxed image to select areas with some type of image and verify that you're a human. Once you select all boxes with the type of image, click the 'verify' box, it checks the recaptcha box with a green arrow and says, "I am not a robot" and the option to press on the 'Subscribe to List' gray button becomes available. 

However... if you're already subscribed to the list, you don't have to do the full sign up like a new subscriber. You just need to update your subscriber information. Once you've completed all those steps in the last paragraph, it'll tell you that  you're already subscribed and give you a link that tells you to update your account, BUT that has to be done via an email that is automatically sent to the email account on file from that point. And apparently you didn't get that far.

This GDPR update email was sent out directly to everyone on the list several weeks back with a button link to update your settings, and I think that avoids the whole 'prove you're not a robot' thing. Not 100% sure on how that works for our subscribers as a step-by-step process, since I'm the list owner. I am going to send out a targeted GDPR campaign to just your email with that update your settings link, and hopefully that will help you. If not, you may have to ask for someone in person to assist you with the recaptcha since that is part of the whole compliance thing, and not an option we picked out just for the fun of it. Sorry! 

I can confirm that it avoided that.

• Like 2