Jump to content

Danseur: A Film


MrM

Recommended Posts

An interesting idea for a film.

 

It’s a topic I’ve thought about often, especially when I’ve talked to Danseurs like @Mikie or a friend of mine who runs and teaches in a ballet school. I seem to meet a lot of Danseurs, for some reason, and not only enjoy their grace and beauty, but appreciate their struggle. As Gay men we are usually the only ones that have the courage to brook the societally imposed struggle to become Danseurs, but this should not only be a Gay dominated art form for thsi reason. Straight men should have a right to be as graceful and beautiful Danseurs as Gay men without being emasculated by general society.

 

What are your thoughts?

http://danseurmovie.com/

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, droughtquake said:

There’s a Norwegian documentary, Ballet Boys (there’s a 75 minute long cinematic version, as well as a 59 minute version for TV), from 2014. It focuses on three young male dancers. No mention on the IMDb page of orientation or homophobia, but it is Norwegian.  ;–)

 

I saw a reference to this after a deep search. It looks like a beautiful film.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/1/2018 at 6:22 PM, droughtquake said:

There’s a Norwegian documentary, Ballet Boys (there’s a 75 minute long cinematic version, as well as a 59 minute version for TV), from 2014. It focuses on three young male dancers. No mention on the IMDb page of orientation or homophobia, but it is Norwegian.  ;–)

 

Did some googling in Norwegian, and I can't find any references to sexual orientation. In the trailer they talk a bit about prejudice against male dancers, and how people just assume that ballet is very feminine, with one asserting that it's anything but and can be very masculine. (I knew a kid when I was in the Norwegian Opera's children's choir, who was in the opera ballet school, and he ended up flamboyantly gay, though.) Not too much homophobia here in Norway outside of religious conservative  (enough transphobia, though), much less in art and theatre Norway, so it's not that bad.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Not too much homophobia here in Norway outside of religious conservative  (enough transphobia, though), much less in art and theatre Norway, so it's not that bad.

That was basically what I was trying to imply…  ;–)

 

Skallamann (Baldguy), a cute Norwegian short film, is one of my absolute favorite shorts!  ;–)

 

 

I wasn’t aware of the Transphobia though.  :–(

Link to comment
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

That was basically what I was trying to imply…  ;–)

 

Skallamann (Baldguy), a cute Norwegian short film, is one of my absolute favorite shorts!  ;–)

 

 

I wasn’t aware of the Transphobia though.  :–(

 

We're struggling a lot with the TERFs right now. Hard to get into without getting too political, but we have our own bathroom issues at the moment. I have a lot of friends, trans women in particular, who meet a lot of prejudice. I mean, most people are happy to let transpeople be, but there's a vocal minority stirring up trouble. Still better here than most places, I guess, but that doesn't mean we're there yet. The greatest step in the past couple of years has been in allowing transpeople to officially change genders without surgery requirements. The step backward is that the national medical authority on transitioning still treats it as a mental illness, sometimes takes years to approve (or not) treatment, especially for young people, and recently decided that anyone who starts hormone treatment with a private practitioner is automatically disqualified from receiving treatment from them. I feel like I explained that very poorly...

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Trans issues are often confusing for those of us who are cisgender. Layer on top of that the medical and legal issues only complicates that. While it’s a little odd to me, using all-gender restrooms in the Castro Theatre during Frameline is not a problem and I’ve gotten used to it – a restroom is not the venue for sex in that sort of context*.

 

 

* A Gay bar I used to go to used to be notorious for sex in the men’s restroom, so everyone else used the women’s restroom instead. By the ‘90s, that sort of bad behavior was discouraged and people weren’t having sex in the restroom anymore. I’m sure some people miss that, but I don’t.  ;–)

Link to comment
6 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Trans issues are often confusing for those of us who are cisgender. Layer on top of that the medical and legal issues only complicates that. While it’s a little odd to me, using all-gender restrooms in the Castro Theatre during Frameline is not a problem and I’ve gotten used to it – a restroom is not the venue for sex in that sort of context*.

 

 

* A Gay bar I used to go to used to be notorious for sex in the men’s restroom, so everyone else used the women’s restroom instead. By the ‘90s, that sort of bad behavior was discouraged and people weren’t having sex in the restroom anymore. I’m sure some people miss that, but I don’t.  ;–)

 

There is still a Bear Bar in San Diego called 'Pecs' where the 'girls' bathroom ends up being the Sex Room and the men's bathroom is the pee room/pickup room.  They've not been called out on it as very few women who care about such things go to Pecs.  The Lesbians that have Gay friends usually end up using the men's room and will occupy the stalls in the women's room for Lesbian sex.

 

I had to explain Trans and GenderQueer issues to a Gay friend of mine who 'didn't get it' and had some very prejudiced views on the subject.  I recounted some stories from Trans people I have known and illustrated that the experience for Trans is much different than it is or Gays.  It is a different facet to human sexuality entirely.  To the credit of our Gay Center here in Hillcrest, San Diego, our big 'Gay' Flag has been setting the Transgender standard for the past month in solidarity with the nonsense Trump is putting Transgendered people through here in the US and A recently.

 

I love my Trans friends so much! They are among the most amazing, intelligent, and sensitive people I've ever met. That folk in the Gay community would discriminate against them in any way anywhere makes me quite angry.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..