Hamilton Gode by Luca E

This is my first online publishing attempt, apart from a short story competition. I like to think of this story as my first book, actually I have visions of it being a series. Chapter Two should get published later today (it's been in the moderation process, waiting whilst I get my head around how you publish stories here. It was @Cia the nice moderator who guided me through the process who suggested posting a discussion here was one of the things to do, to get noticed).

The crunch, getting noticed. This story definitely needs some readers, followers, and comments. From the page view numbers, only half of the people clicking on the story go on to read the first chapter. That's okay, I guess it is what you would expect, although I don't have a clue about any of this. Seems logical half the people aren't into fantasy with a little surreal, maybe a lot of surreal. Anyway they look at the genre and maybe the tags, and go!

The tags: I wasn't really sure about how to use them. I can easily talk about the story I'm writing, but not so easily label it. I don't, for example, want to label it no sex, although there is nothing graphic so maybe I should. This is where you come in (if you're still here), I need feedback. I desperately need you to give your advice. Your advice about the story, the writing, the style, and yes, even the tags!

If you find it a half interesting story, then perhaps you can help make it better with your comments. This is a cry for help. No, I shouldn't exaggerate, I would like some readers, lots of them, and to know what you think. I'm investing time in this. Of course I like writing. I like disappearing into this world I've created and interacting with the characters. If you can spare a little time too, that would be fantastic.

Here's the bumpf, the story summary and link, take a look... please -

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

It is perhaps time to announce that my first story, Hamilton Gode, which has a couple of chapters to run is part of a series titled Quantum Shift. If you were expecting to know what's going on in the plot and have an outcome, I should apologise, because there is an outcome, but far from a resolution, and as to what's going on...

I am writing book two now, it's titled Touma Shimizu. In book one you discovered Hamilton Gode, Zachary and Lowerstoff, so who is Touma Shimizu? That will very quickly become apparent in chapter one of the book, I can't say more.

I do have a question for you. It's the summer holidays and shortly I shall be away on holiday. Book one will finish publishing before I go, but then I'm away for three weeks. The question: do you want chapter one of Book two posted before I go? Write me, comment, however you like, because there will be a pause however it goes.

• 1 month later...

The second book is out, chapter one published, chapter two in moderation. The book is short and complete and will be published regularly. Although maybe not a same day, same time schedule, because I'm travelling. 

These books are short by design. It allows me to get a significant part of the story written, completed, and published. I have started book three.

@Luca EI'm reading your books and enjoy the premise, you have some creative ideas for plots. Though it's a little hard to follow at times due to the story structure. I'm used to reading variations of writing styles, so it doesn't bother me as a reader, but I know it's harder to get hooked on a story if you don't build on characters. 

• Love 1
On 9/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, W_L said:

it's harder to get hooked on a story if you don't build on characters. 

Thanks for your comments, I'm working on it and will try to develop the characters more. They're fully developed in my head, but maybe not written out enough!

If it is approved I shall be publishing Hamilton Gode New Edition. For the moment I have taken off the series label because the new edition will become book one.

As a new author I published my first book Hamilton Gode hoping for readers and feedback. Following comments I received and as I progressed what is intended as a series, I realised I needed to make changes. Hamilton Gode New Edition is a rewrite, not simply a revision, because I have changed from first to third person narrative, which fits with the rest of the series. This encompasses rewriting some passages. The constructive criticism (thanks to @W_L ) I received highlighted a need to not only have plot, but good character development. I have added some more detail and a little foreshadowing of the nature of the inter-relationships. 

If you have already read book one Hamilton Gode the plot and action remains unchanged. I did not want to replace the original, so hence this new edition.  

• Like 1

I don't think it's policy to add artwork to stories, so I thought I could put it here. 

Hamilton Gode New Edition - Chapter 2 - Asilah 1975 - The sea wall with mosque below and town beyond.

HG_Asilah.thumb.png.7334d3d68fceb21c26b9d990273026af.png

Oh yeah, it is a real place! The story is surreal fantasy, but the locations are real...

Edited by Luca E
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Faced with a choice... should I start publishing the third book in the series or hold off until it is completed? I welcome any comments on the way to go.

Picsart_22-08-03_15-40-47-304.jpg.a872c12479c51b66072d872eb16f8d50.jpg

Violetta Cantagalli 3. Quantum Shift

Zachary, Lowerstoff, Emile, and Touma, are bound together setting off to find Violetta Cantagalli, Emile's mother. There is a question hanging over their relationships which might be just as important as the question of the multiverse and its realities. Realities which are fracturing in explosive and devastating ways. Revelations come thick and fast. The world where they find themselves is familiar, but knowing that doesn't much help. The key may be the key, or it might be Touma Shimizu and Zachary. 

On 10/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, W_L said:

Do not be afraid to publish, good or bad, it's your creation. :) 

It is more a question about: do readers want a regular weekly publishing schedule (if so I wait until the next book is more or less complete) or do readers want chapters as they become available (which means irregular publishing and maybe long gaps between posting)? 

• 3 months later...

Series update: the third book and the reformatting of book one are delayed. The reason is I am spending my time editing a book for another author and it's a long book. As soon as I get it finished I hope to return to the series.

• 1 month later...

If you are still following the Quantum Shift series or maybe you forgot it or didn't see a new book and chapters pop up in the notifications... well it's online:

This is the third book in the series. It's short, easy to read, and progresses the story. Happy reading!