Editor Request

I'm looking for an editor who will be willing to read my next story series and not only point out the technical mistakes, but will also be willing to tell me if I'm getting verbose, repetitive, and comment on how the flow of the story is going and if you think the readers will enjoy it.  Let me tell you about the story series.  It is about shifters, but not of the were-creature variety.  I'm talking about skinwalkers.  

It will consist of three books that will focus on two particular families.  As World War II was ending, the head of one family saved a couple of Navajo code-talkers from either being badly beaten or possibly killed, and as a reward the shaman on the Navajo reservation offered to perform rituals on him that would make him a good skinwalker, not an evil skinwalker.  This trait is then passed along to future males in his direct lineage, and the youngest, his great-grandson, is gay and in love with a former neighbor, and that's how the second family involved.  Both sets of parents are supportive of the boys, who for most of the most of the story are college students, and once they graduate they'll be looking for jobs.  

I use MS Word, but I also have access to Open Office, and I prefer online edits.  I have quite a few chapters written already, but if your comments warrant it, I'm willing to add/delete text or even add a chapter every now and then.  

Please respond to this post to let me know if you're interest in helping out. 

Thanks, Bill 

Edited by Bill W
added information
  • Like 2
On 8/17/2022 at 10:32 PM, Bill W said:

I'm looking for an editor who will be willing to read my next story series and not only point out the technical mistakes, but will also be willing to tell me if I'm getting verbose, repetitive, and comment on how the flow of the story is going and if you think the readers will enjoy it.  Let me tell you about the story series.  It is about shifters, but not of the were-creature variety.  I'm talking about skinwalkers.  

It will consist of three books that will focus on two particular families.  As World War II was ending, the head of one family saved a couple of Navajo code-talkers from either being badly beaten or possibly killed, and as a reward the shaman on the Navajo reservation offered to perform rituals on him that would make him a good skinwalker, not an evil skinwalker.  This trait is then passed along to future males in his direct lineage, and the youngest, his great-grandson, is gay and in love with a former neighbor, and that's how the second family involved.  Both sets of parents are supportive of the boys, who for most of the most of the story are college students, and once they graduate they'll be looking for jobs.  

I use MS Word, but I also have access to Open Office, and I prefer online edits.  I have quite a few chapters written already, but if your comments warrant it, I'm willing to add/delete text or even add a chapter every now and then.  

Please respond to this post to let me know if you're interest in helping out. 

Thanks, Bill 

I'm interested in being a Beta Reader.

You know I have read a fair deal of Shifter fiction.

Question on the concept, are you writing this as merely a "slice of life" shifter series, or are you going to add in something spicier, i.e. evil skinwalker, trickster coyote spirit, or bring in other Native American mythology? 

7 hours ago, W_L said:

I'm interested in being a Beta Reader.

You know I have read a fair deal of Shifter fiction.

Question on the concept, are you writing this as merely a "slice of life" shifter series, or are you going to add in something spicier, i.e. evil skinwalker, trickster coyote spirit, or bring in other Native American mythology? 

W_L, I'd love to have you as a beta reader and I'll send you an email to discuss this. 

Thanks, Bill, I also suggest that you search for a technical editor as well. 

I've served authors best as a beta reader due to my experience in various genres for plot, character, and thematic progression, but my technical skills are not sufficient to be a technical editor.

------------

There's an old line my old high school English teacher made about writing:

"What is the difference between a beta reader and editor?"

"An editor will help to create books like Goodbye Mr. Chips, while a beta reader will help to create Harry Potter."

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a Beta, but I still need an editor for my story.  Please reply if you're interested.  The story concept is outlined in my first post and I really need an editor to work with me before I can start posting.   Thanks.