MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #13

Imperfection. The burden of all mankind (woman-kind too). Even the greatest writers, poets, musicians, dancers, architects, and artists are victims of it. Nobody's above a few mistakes here and there. Sometimes the artistic side of the brain isn't so good with the technical stuff.

Thankfully, however, there are plenty of people out there who are extremely good at recognizing these mistakes and helping the rest of us out before they become 'visible' to everyone watching. In online erotica, editing is a neccessity. Especially for the stories with the amount of depth and meaning as they have today. The question for this week is...

= Do you feel that outside editors are a must for your work? And if so, how do you go about choosing one? Or even BECOMING one? =

Would you rather self edit, or let someone else do it? How do you know whether or not you and your editor are 'clashing' in terms of opinion? How do you control who's 'voice' is coming out in the story...yours or the editor's? And what are some of the problems with NOT having an editor? Just stuff to think about! So Writers, Readers, Editors...let's hear what you think about editing?

The 'bored'...the 'baord'...the 'BOARD' is open!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been doing my own editing for over a year, and I consider it part of the writing and tweaking process. Despite my best effort, I have gotten occasional grammatical critiques and it bothered me that my lack of technical expertise was distracting from the pure enjoyment of reading for some folks. One of these critques was posted on my forum, and I facetiously challenged the poster to 'put his money where his mouth is.' He told me that he was serious about editing P&J, and we have just started the process. He is extremely professional and not only understands all the complex and convoluted grammatical rules of the english language, but also has a brilliant grasp of html, which baffles me completely.

While I am not looking directly for creative input, I do find it useful to hear his thoughts on style and character consistency and things of that nature. When a story gets as long and involved as P&J, it is easy to forget a character's appearance, or age, or forget a small plot point from a chapter written ages ago. While we have only committed to working on three chapters together, I hope the relationship will continue. I think that ultimately it will allow me to focus more on getting the story out, and less about sweating the technical details.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..