Downtime and stuff

Myr

• Site Administrator

I'm really sorry folks for the downtime today. I'm not sure what caused it and I'm not sure if it will happen again. Suffice it to say, I went into unexplored land to fix this today. (had to recompile the apache webserver among other things).

I think everything is up again. Keep your fingers crossed and drop me an PM/email if you find something off.

Myr

I'm really sorry folks for the downtime today. I'm not sure what caused it and I'm not sure if it will happen again. Suffice it to say, I went into unexplored land to fix this today. (had to recompile the apache webserver among other things).

I think everything is up again. Keep your fingers crossed and drop me an PM/email if you find something off.

Myr

That sounds like something in the system (libraries or other system updates) changed under you.

It was acting like we got hacked.

Both an unfriendly update or a hack could produce the same result.

I spent 15 years in unix system support before I retired so if I can ever be of any help I'd be glad to.

No need to apologize Myr. I've been on GA for a couple of years now and you run a great site. :worship:

In the wilds of the Internet, all sorts of things can go wrong: bad updates, bugs, hackers, malware, bad network connections... Truthfully- it's amazing that anything works. :unsure:

I've run UNIX boxes since the mid eighties: HP/UX, SVR4, Sun, Ultrix, Linux and so on. It's all good stuff.

The SysAdmin's big gun is always kill -9 pid It wacks those wild processes like Sicilian him man. :lol:

'Nother issue you probably know about, some of the author pages have issues... can't get into anything on Dio's, for instance.

Thanks for working to fix it. You guys rock. ~hugs you till your eyes pop out~

• Site Administrator

Basically, since I upgraded PHP in the process of rebuilding the webserver, the rules changed on how a certain program function is handled. It's one that we were pretty loose with in how we handled it.

a few of the author sites, and all of the archives (story, movie, book) and the shared member hosting all had the issues.

We're going to be cleaning up for a few days.