Jump to content

andy cannon

Author
  • Posts

    1,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by andy cannon

  1. andy cannon

    Chapter 10

    They are on adjacent tracks that are s-l-o-w-l-y converging. Jackson has thought they were becoming better friends and is coming to realize they are also better team mates and more. Noah thought they were becoming better team mates and is now realizing that there is more going on. Everyone else is saying, "Just kiss already!"
  2. andy cannon

    Chapter 10

    They'll get there... eventually.
  3. andy cannon

    Chapter 10

    I think Noah is the harder sell in this relationship because he has repressed his attraction for so long.
  4. andy cannon

    Chapter 10

    Baby steps, right?
  5. andy cannon

    Chapter 10

    Yikes! I had no idea that was going on until you pointed it out. Insofar as I have a writing "process", I usually cobble together a first chapter based on an idea, let it marinate for a while, then outline how each chapter should advance the characters and the plot, then go back to flesh out the chapters. This subject seemed to need a lighter, breezier voice than the more ponderously literary style I've used with other stories. Somehow in this case that translated into a brief drive-by story! It puts me in mind of a chapter in William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, which was, in its entirety, "My mother is a fish." I doubt Mr. Faulkner would be flattered by my appeal to his precedent, but there it is.
  6. Jackson I arrived before sunrise expecting to have the gym to myself. I liked the quiet. No coaches. No whistles. No music battling against someone's questionable taste, just the low hum of the ventilation system and an hour where hockey felt uncomplicated. The lights were already on. That gave me pause. As I pushed through the door I found Noah halfway through a mobility routine, one knee on a mat, resistance band looped around his boot as he worked patiently through his hips. He
  7. Noah The first thing I noticed the following Monday was that Jackson wasn't in the gym. Which was ridiculous. There were thirty players in training camp. One of them being absent should not have registered, but it registered. I looked at the clock. Six fifteen. Usually he was already there pretending not to race me through whatever pointless conditioning torture Coach Hayes had invented. I stretched. Waited. Six twenty. Still no Jackson. "Huh." I told myself I
  8. andy cannon

    Chapter 7

    Relationship Repair could be an interesting stat in the box scores of games.
  9. andy cannon

    Chapter 7

    They really are clueless.
  10. andy cannon

    Chapter 7

    Jackson always admired Noah's work ethic and skill, never seeming to harbor any negative feelings. Noah has a distinct competency kink when it comes to Jackson and finds him enormously attractive. However, he doesn't want to examine that too closely and finds it easier to tell himself that he resents Jackson. The truth always bubbles up.
  11. andy cannon

    Chapter 7

    Slowly but surely.
  12. Jackson Media day always felt faintly ridiculous. Professional hockey players liked to imagine we were hardened competitors. Then somebody handed us matching polo shirts and asked us to smile while pretending to discuss insurance. I stood in front of a green backdrop while three photographers debated whether my shoulders were too square. "I think he looks fine." "He looks intimidating." "That's because he isn't smiling." "I am smiling." Three pairs of eyes turn
  13. Noah The video room smelled of burnt coffee and quiet dread. Every team in the league had one. Dim lights. Three rows of seats. A projector that somehow made everyone look guilty. Coach Hayes stood beside the screen with a remote in one hand. Assistant Coach Daniels leaned against the back wall holding a coffee the size of a fire extinguisher. Nobody talked much. Film sessions had a remarkable ability to make grown men regret decisions they'd forgotten making. Hayes presse
  14. Jackson By Thursday morning I'd begun to suspect my rivalry with Noah had become an accepted feature of the organisation. The coaches had stopped intervening unless we looked likely to injure each other. The trainers no longer bothered asking why we'd turned another conditioning drill into a race. Even the equipment staff had begun taking bets. So when Emily from Human Resources appeared hesitantly outside the weight room clutching a clipboard to her chest like body armour, I assumed s
  15. andy cannon

    Chapter 5

    One does wonder about a relationship whose love language involves a penalty box.
  16. andy cannon

    Chapter 5

    Two men whose talent is exceeded only by their egos. Noah is 27 going on 13, no threat of maturity on his horizon yet.
  17. Both scenes are excerpted in short clips on the internet, but out of context they may not live up to the hype.
  18. Jackson The first week of training camp taught me two things. First, the Philadelphia Bobcats' training center had terrible coffee. Second, Noah Lindholm genuinely seemed to want me dead. Not actually dead. Probably. But certainly inconvenienced. I couldn't quite work out why. I understood not being thrilled about the trade. I'd captained Chicago for four years. I'd knocked Philadelphia out of the playoffs twice. We'd spent six seasons competing for the sa
  19. andy cannon

    Chapter 4

    Most of us have jobs we would only do in exchange for a salary. It must be a little surreal to be paid for something that other people do for fun. I remember a passage in North Dallas Forty where one of the characters complained that when they demanded that management treat them better they were told that it was only a game and whenever they wanted to loosen up and have fun, management told them this is a serious business.
  20. andy cannon

    Chapter 4

    At least it's all in good spirit, shenanigans rather than bullying.
  21. andy cannon

    Chapter 4

    Coach Hayes is an oasis of calm responsibility in a desert of rational thought.
  22. andy cannon

    Chapter 4

    Boys will be boys!
  23. Noah The first thing I noticed was that he had the nerve to look comfortable. The second thing I noticed was that he was sitting in my locker. I stopped dead. Then every miserable emotion I'd been carrying since the trade detonated at once. "Who the fuck gave him my locker?" Twenty heads swiveled towards me. Lemaire looked up from untying a skate lace. He didn't leap to his feet. He didn't apologize. He didn't even have the decency to look guilty
  24. andy cannon

    Chapter 3

    Now I am thinking of a scene where Noah (and it absolutely would have to be Noah) is missing a jersey so he sniffs his way through the dressing room searching everyone's locker.
  25. andy cannon

    Chapter 3

    Poor Noah! Not only is his arch rival entertained by his volatile emotions, but his friends orchestrate a reaction.
×
×
  • Create New...