-
Posts
6,530 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by sandrewn
-
nosegay - Word of the Day - Sun Nov 19, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I have been to my fair share of weddings, but 'a nosegay' is a new one on me. I think 'a bouquet' will remain my first thought, in the time I have left. As so often happens, when I look up one of the 'Words of the Day' other tidbits come to light. Nosegay - Wikipedia (A nosegay, posy, or tussie-mussie is a small flower bouquet, typically given as a gift.) The term tussie-mussie (also tussy-mussy) comes from the reign of Queen Victoria (1837–1901), when the small bouquets became a popular fashion accessory. Typically, tussie-mussies include floral symbolism from the language of flowers, and therefore may be used to send a message to the recipient.[5] In modern times the term specifically refers to small bouquets in a conical metal holder, or the holder itself, particularly when used at a white wedding. Tussie-Mussies Popular Victorian Fashion Accessory - Antique Trader -
I will answer by saying, I did two tours (almost 2 years) in the Middle East(UN). UNEF II (EGYPT) & UNDOF (Israel). I never once, missed taking my anti malarial pills (every Thursday) Note: Later tests showed that I had come in contact with the disease.
- 852 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
Excuse me, before I can comment on 'ravish', I will first have to look up 'dichotomy'(me thinks, I am not alone). Just saying,
-
mastiff - Word of the Day - Mon Nov 13, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Because my mind tends to wander(yes, its true). I pictured myself leaving the pet store, laughing demoniacally after the sales kid asked if might be interested in buying doggie poop bags in bulk, to save money? Once I regained control of myself(and reality), I went next door to the hardware store and got a few boxes of my usual.... -
inconceivable - Word of the Day - Tue Nov 7, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Sadly, this brings me back to an exchange you and I had last Thursday, lest we forget. Martin Niemöller First they came ... - Wikipedia First they came for the Communists And I did not speak out Because I was not a Communist Then they came for the Socialists And I did not speak out Because I was not a Socialist Then they came for the trade unionists And I did not speak out Because I was not a trade unionist Then they came for the Jews And I did not speak out Because I was not a Jew Then they came for me And there was no one left To speak out for me -
Each and every time I visit the 'Word of the Day', I never know where my wandering mind (and fingers) will take me. This comment triggered the trip today, fond memories/nostalgia!! The Carpenters - Yesterday Once More (INCLUDES LYRICS) - YouTube
-
What is the fastest killing spider in the world? The funnel web The funnel web “classically speaking” is considered the world's deadliest spider because it “kills so quickly”. “In terms of speed of death, in Australia we say funnel web, 15 minutes, no sweat,” Raven said. “With a funnel web bite to the torso, you're dead. No other spider can claim that reputation.”
- 852 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
Curiously, I am wondering? Not the most original 'Pickup line' I ever heard!
- 852 replies
-
- 4
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
@Mark Arbour No shot, smoke and powder, but a successful chapter(s) indeed. An Earldom, on the Privy counsel, a surprise gift from the Tzar, a settlement of sorts with his father and a promise of possible action with St. Vincent back on good terms(YAY). Then of course, tradition, yet another (ex)midshipman of his, Mr. Gatling bites the dust. I liked him from the very start. If circumstance hadn't put him and Calvert together, who knows what might have been? Ever faithful, awaiting your next. A reminder to the rest of your loyal crew, there is still a war on going! The Algeciras Campaign. First Battle of Algeciras - Wikipedia Second Battle of Algeciras - Wikipedia
-
lovelorn - Word of the Day - Thu Nov 2, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Thanks, I think you just answered the question as to why my local 'Hallmark' store closed, over six years ago. -
lovelorn - Word of the Day - Thu Nov 2, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
An unexpected item of interest I found when I did a search on 'Lovelorn'. A book I wouldn't mind reading (but would not pay $28 for). The Truth About Animals: Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos, and Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife -
folly - (noun) - 1: a lack of sense; foolishness; 2: a foolish action or belief --------------------------- Question: When was a folly, not a folly? Answer: When it was a "Seward's Folly" (or "Seward's Icebox") The US$7.2 million check used to pay for Alaska (equivalent to $117 million in 2021)[1] Signed March 30, 1867 Location Washington, D.C., U.S. Ratified May 15, 1867 Effective October 18, 1867 Signatories Russian Empire United States Languages English French Alaska Purchase - Wikipedia
-
You both got me curious as well. I found the answer. It is a Wolf Spider Camouflaged spider from closer - Ocyale guttata | This is a … | Flickr Bill, I have spent over an hour going through Nicky Bay photos. I will find an answer for you, eventually (hopefully).
- 852 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
I don't know if you are right or wrong. The following is an extract from the article below. The jury is still out on exactly what they are. " Although "sea spiders" are not true spiders, nor even arachnids, their traditional classification as chelicerates would place them closer to true spiders than to other well-known arthropod groups, such as insects or crustaceans, if correct. This is disputed, however, as genetic evidence suggests they may be a sister group to all other living arthropods. " Sea spider - Wikipedia
- 852 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
My lucky day, I found an answer for each of your posts. Sadly, sea spiders although related to spiders are not the same creatures. I have heard the expression 'No Guts, No Glory', but I think we are out of luck as far as using our guts to pump blood in case of a coronary. Read the article for an explanation. Are sea spiders really spiders? : Ocean Exploration Facts: NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research
- 852 replies
-
- 2
-
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
I found quite a number of references, but this one seems to answer your questions and is good read at the same time. What species of spiders live in Australia and are they venomous?
- 852 replies
-
- 2
-
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
I try to find the answers to any questions that are asked. Sometimes I get lucky. The following answer all of your questions. The first one answers your main question about food. The rest, any and everything else you might want to know about them. what does the diving bell spider eat - Google Search The Diving Bell Spider Encases Its Abdomen in an Air Bubble - YouTube Nature Blows My Mind! The Strange SCUBA-Diving Spider diving bell spider - Google Search
- 852 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
I suppose this all depends on your definition of 'HUGE'? Read the following/watch the video, tell me/us what you think? Heteroscodra maculata-Togo Starburst | My Monsters
- 852 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. As soon as I saw dangle, dingle came to mind, as in Dingle Dangle. Dingle Dangle occurs when one swallows a hair for it later to be digested and pooped out. This is where the Dingle Berries attach themselves to the hair, finally creating the Dingle Dangle (dangling of dingle berries). Wow Nan, you should have seen my Dingle Dangle last night. The amount of berries on that bad boy... speaking of nursery rhymes.... Dingle Dangle Scarecrow (Songs for Kids) - YouTube
-
Male Spiders Must Twerk — or Be Eaten Male black widows shake their rumps to let the ladies know they aren't a meal. Did you know huntsman spiders just want to be your friends? They're so misunderstood.
- 852 replies
-
- 3
-
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
I would hold off in doing that! I can't count the times, my weather channel shows sunshine/clear skies as I look out at the pitter patter of rain drops all over the place.
- 852 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
How to Weather Forecast And Weather Predict Without Technology Spiders make their webs stronger when a storm is expected, and rain is predicted. The webs usually have more cross sections that reinforce the web. Nature in the Ozarks Marbled Orbweaver Female.
- 852 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
This entire article is a fantastic read, but I think the the answer to your question, is here on page four. Spider Silk | HowStuffWorks
- 852 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
astraddle - Word of the Day - Wed Oct 11, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I don't know why but 'Saddles' is stuck in my mind (cowboys?). While wandering the web, I found this old favorite of mine. I thought you might enjoy it. GeneAutry.com: Watch a Gene Autry Video Clip - Back in the Saddle Again -
astraddle - Word of the Day - Wed Oct 11, 2023
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
You say astraddle, I say astride(athwart). You say tomato , I say tomato (pronounced toMAYto/toMAHto) is a fairly common expression that basically means, "you and I both have our own opinions on this, and neither one is necessarily 'wrong' ". You Say Tomato, I say Tomato - YouTube
