Jump to content

sandrewn

Members
  • Posts

    6,512
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sandrewn

  1. First I would say, the boy is braver, because of his age and not having lived long enough to know better. Now Mr . Tarantula, admittedly crazy, but not stupid by a long shot. He chose the Chilean Rose Tarantula for a very wise reason. Chilean rose hair tarantula - Zoo Atlanta ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Most spiders on the body - Guinness World Records - YouTube
  2. Oh, I don't know, depends on how cold the water is(was)?
  3. @Doha Right subject material, but I'm missing your point? On the off hand chance, based on your last couple of posts, you may have zigged instead of zagging to arrive here. Let me just say....... - I have been to New York(a long while ago), looked out from the top of the Empire State building as they worked on completing the North and South Towers of the World Trade Center. -Scuba dived in the Red Sea, with far off sharks, but real close(like I stopped to give them and their teeth, the right of way) Barracudas. -I have bobbed up and down in the Dead Sea. Hmm, it seems I am now, most definitely guilty of zigzagging. sorry,
  4. @Bill W I like it that you asked, then answered your own question. Prawns sparked a memory for me. June 1972, my first tour of duty in NATO, at CFB Lahr, West Germany. My second night there. Three of us went into town (Lahr) for a meal, to a restaurant and ordered what we thought was a large all dressed pizza. You guessed it, it was a prawn pizza. With a bloody big one on each slice, facing outwards, just staring at us. We laughed, we cried and yes, we played with our prawns. We ate the pizza, but not the prawns. Even the owner had a good laugh(after we paid the bill). The reason I had forgotten about this one, is because of the events that took place shortly after. I was on leave and at the Munich Oktoberfest when Black September struck.
  5. Do Tarantulas Make A Web? You’ll Be Surprised! | Keeping Bugs
  6. Life quite often is. Knowing your love of spiders, I know who you are cheering for. I should of titled that picture, 'The Predators and The Prey'. Symbiotic, no. Parasitic, yes.
  7. I have been to my fair share of weddings, but 'a nosegay' is a new one on me. I think 'a bouquet' will remain my first thought, in the time I have left. As so often happens, when I look up one of the 'Words of the Day' other tidbits come to light. Nosegay - Wikipedia (A nosegay, posy, or tussie-mussie is a small flower bouquet, typically given as a gift.) The term tussie-mussie (also tussy-mussy) comes from the reign of Queen Victoria (1837–1901), when the small bouquets became a popular fashion accessory. Typically, tussie-mussies include floral symbolism from the language of flowers, and therefore may be used to send a message to the recipient.[5] In modern times the term specifically refers to small bouquets in a conical metal holder, or the holder itself, particularly when used at a white wedding. Tussie-Mussies Popular Victorian Fashion Accessory - Antique Trader
  8. I will answer by saying, I did two tours (almost 2 years) in the Middle East(UN). UNEF II (EGYPT) & UNDOF (Israel). I never once, missed taking my anti malarial pills (every Thursday) Note: Later tests showed that I had come in contact with the disease.
  9. Excuse me, before I can comment on 'ravish', I will first have to look up 'dichotomy'(me thinks, I am not alone). Just saying,
  10. Because my mind tends to wander(yes, its true). I pictured myself leaving the pet store, laughing demoniacally after the sales kid asked if might be interested in buying doggie poop bags in bulk, to save money? Once I regained control of myself(and reality), I went next door to the hardware store and got a few boxes of my usual....
  11. Sadly, this brings me back to an exchange you and I had last Thursday, lest we forget. Martin Niemöller First they came ... - Wikipedia First they came for the Communists And I did not speak out Because I was not a Communist Then they came for the Socialists And I did not speak out Because I was not a Socialist Then they came for the trade unionists And I did not speak out Because I was not a trade unionist Then they came for the Jews And I did not speak out Because I was not a Jew Then they came for me And there was no one left To speak out for me
  12. Each and every time I visit the 'Word of the Day', I never know where my wandering mind (and fingers) will take me. This comment triggered the trip today, fond memories/nostalgia!! The Carpenters - Yesterday Once More (INCLUDES LYRICS) - YouTube
  13. What is the fastest killing spider in the world? The funnel web The funnel web “classically speaking” is considered the world's deadliest spider because it “kills so quickly”. “In terms of speed of death, in Australia we say funnel web, 15 minutes, no sweat,” Raven said. “With a funnel web bite to the torso, you're dead. No other spider can claim that reputation.”
  14. Curiously, I am wondering? Not the most original 'Pickup line' I ever heard!
  15. sandrewn

    Chapter 80

    @Mark Arbour No shot, smoke and powder, but a successful chapter(s) indeed. An Earldom, on the Privy counsel, a surprise gift from the Tzar, a settlement of sorts with his father and a promise of possible action with St. Vincent back on good terms(YAY). Then of course, tradition, yet another (ex)midshipman of his, Mr. Gatling bites the dust. I liked him from the very start. If circumstance hadn't put him and Calvert together, who knows what might have been? Ever faithful, awaiting your next. A reminder to the rest of your loyal crew, there is still a war on going! The Algeciras Campaign. First Battle of Algeciras - Wikipedia Second Battle of Algeciras - Wikipedia
  16. Thanks, I think you just answered the question as to why my local 'Hallmark' store closed, over six years ago.
  17. An unexpected item of interest I found when I did a search on 'Lovelorn'. A book I wouldn't mind reading (but would not pay $28 for). The Truth About Animals: Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos, and Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife
  18. folly - (noun) - 1: a lack of sense; foolishness; 2: a foolish action or belief --------------------------- Question: When was a folly, not a folly? Answer: When it was a "Seward's Folly" (or "Seward's Icebox") The US$7.2 million check used to pay for Alaska (equivalent to $117 million in 2021)[1] Signed March 30, 1867 Location Washington, D.C., U.S. Ratified May 15, 1867 Effective October 18, 1867 Signatories Russian Empire United States Languages English French Alaska Purchase - Wikipedia
  19. You both got me curious as well. I found the answer. It is a Wolf Spider Camouflaged spider from closer - Ocyale guttata | This is a … | Flickr Bill, I have spent over an hour going through Nicky Bay photos. I will find an answer for you, eventually (hopefully).
  20. I don't know if you are right or wrong. The following is an extract from the article below. The jury is still out on exactly what they are. " Although "sea spiders" are not true spiders, nor even arachnids, their traditional classification as chelicerates would place them closer to true spiders than to other well-known arthropod groups, such as insects or crustaceans, if correct. This is disputed, however, as genetic evidence suggests they may be a sister group to all other living arthropods. " Sea spider - Wikipedia
  21. My lucky day, I found an answer for each of your posts. Sadly, sea spiders although related to spiders are not the same creatures. I have heard the expression 'No Guts, No Glory', but I think we are out of luck as far as using our guts to pump blood in case of a coronary. Read the article for an explanation. Are sea spiders really spiders? : Ocean Exploration Facts: NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research
  22. I found quite a number of references, but this one seems to answer your questions and is good read at the same time. What species of spiders live in Australia and are they venomous?
  23. I try to find the answers to any questions that are asked. Sometimes I get lucky. The following answer all of your questions. The first one answers your main question about food. The rest, any and everything else you might want to know about them. what does the diving bell spider eat - Google Search The Diving Bell Spider Encases Its Abdomen in an Air Bubble - YouTube Nature Blows My Mind! The Strange SCUBA-Diving Spider diving bell spider - Google Search
  24. I suppose this all depends on your definition of 'HUGE'? Read the following/watch the video, tell me/us what you think? Heteroscodra maculata-Togo Starburst | My Monsters
×
×
  • Create New...