Jump to content

sandrewn

Members
  • Posts

    6,523
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sandrewn

  1. Yes, 'osculate' has two meanings, as mentioned by drpalidin. Fortunately for us there are multiple, at least one more: Definitions of osculate verb touch with the lips or press the lips (against someone's mouth or other body part) as an expression of love, greeting, etc. synonyms: buss, kiss, snog see more verb have at least three points in common with “one curve osculates the other” “these two surfaces osculate” see more verb be intermediate between two taxonomic groups “These species osculate” see more Osculate - Definition, Meaning & Synonyms | Vocabulary.com
  2. Poached from Merriam-Webster: Lugubrious Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster Lifted from Quara: 1. When and why would you chose the word “lugubrious"? When it is more descriptive, more apt to what you wish to convey , better sounding and succinct. Two characters where lugubrious is descriptive, apt and sounds how they are: The donkey character, Eeyore, in the book Winnie the Pooh Eeyore - Wikipedia Marvin the Android in the book/televised series Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy. Marvin the Paranoid Android - Wikipedia lugubrious: Adjective : looking or sounding sad and dismal."his face looked even more lugubrious than usual" synonyms:mournful · gloomy · sad · unhappy · doleful · Eeyorish · glum · melancholy · melancholic · woeful · miserable · woebegone · forlorn · despondent · dejected · depressed · long-faced · sombre · solemn · serious · sorrowful · morose · dour · mirthless · cheerless · joyless · wretched · dismal · grim · saturnine · pessimistic · funereal · sepulchral · dirge-like · elegiac · down in the mouth · down in the dumps · blue · looking as if one had lost a pound and found a penny · dolorous 2. When and why would you chose the word “lugubrious"? Funny you should ask. I was telling some grad students that not all the Middle English they were about to read was lugubrious, when the star student in the class asked what that word meant. I decided not to do that any more. When and why would you ever choose to use the word 'lugubrious'? - Quora
  3. 160 entries and nothing more to offer you. Except for the two, below. This one seems to cover it all, I am sorry to say. Fugacious - definition of fugacious by The Free Dictionary With this one, I hope and pray that he never had tenure. Also, that if watching this video was part of a course curriculum requirement?? My wish that any or all who made the syllabus, be restrained and forced to watch it on an endless loop(evil laughter in the background). 🔵 Fugacious Meaning - Fugacious Examples - Fugacious Defined - Literary Vocabulary - Fugacious - YouTube
  4. Honest, I had no intention of saying anything else, here today. Then, just now, as I was rereading Paladins' post I noticed " lassie " . A light clicked on and my mental wayback machine took off. A bit of background, since moving here(68+ years ago) I have never had a pet cat or dog. While my big sister had me to fetch for her and on occasion to blame things on(I loved her still/Rest in Peace, Sis). So when we finally got a TV, that particular problem became a much smaller ache. Two TV series especially, allowed me to live vicariously with the lack of a pet. The first you may have guessed, from my comment on Paladins' post: I included parts 1 & 2(I would not leave you with a cliffhanger). Lassie - Episode 1 - "Inheritance" - Part 1 - (Originally broadcast 09/12/1954) - YouTube Lassie - Episode 1 - "Inheritance" - Part 2 (Originally broadcast 09/12/1954) - YouTube The second, contains a heck of a lot that would not be considered politically correct today: Meet Rin Tin Tin [S1, Ep1] The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin - YouTube Of course there were others, like, 'Flipper' or 'Skippy the Bush Kangaroo'. I better stop now(sniff). Thanks for the memories, sandrewn
  5. I scrolled 248 entries and you're welcome to do the same. All I have to offer is a bit of add on to what drpaladin gave us. Gloaming | Word Genius
  6. Sorry, I've done it again. I am off on another wild goose chase. Has anyone, anyone of you, ever looked up in the sky and seen a distant " V " formation, far overhead,and thought, oh look a flock of goose????? No, it was always a flock of geese. It took 72 years and today's 'Word of the Day", for me to realize that: The female is called a Goose. The male is called a Gander. However the plural (flock, gaggle) or any grouping of these birds, is Geese. What wonders will tomorrows' word bring me!
  7. I was going to pick/patch and paste any interesting facts/info or details I could find about our word today. Then I came across, Dictionary.com, they seemed to cover what I was looking for, see what you think. Note, they offer an; American and a British version. Watch both, to see the differences. HORRIPILATION Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com My search about goose bumps, Oops!, I mean horripilation, is on going, more to follow, I hope.
  8. All I can add to what has been said, is perhaps some variety. Jocund - Definition, Meaning & Synonyms | Vocabulary.com The above led me(eventually) to, 'A Christmas Carole'. This in turn, led to the discovery of why, Bob Cratchit was called 'Bob' and what 'Bob' meant in that time and place. Then of course, what we all(?) wanted to know and now do. What does, Bob's your uncle and Fanny's you aunt, mean? Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt - What does "Bob's Your Uncle" and "Fanny’s your aunt" mean in British slang? - The Slang Podcast - Learn British English Now - Deezer Too Doo Loo,
  9. Nothing flashy to offer, just adding my 2 cents worth. Farrago Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster Well, perhaps I did find a parting chuckle, that might give you a smile to end your Saturday night with?! 9 Weird Words in Moby-Dick | Merriam-Webster Nite Nite,
  10. After I saw Myrs quotes, then all of the comments so far, the first thing that came to mind, was a mental picture of an extended middle finger and it is still there!! So, here are several items I picked for you all. The 1st, because that extended finger is still with me: To find out how to do how to do a triple middle finger, click on the guy in the first pic, to see a demo of how to do it. Middle finger Memes and Images - Imgur The 2nd is about an actual device, you guessed it, called 'The Dactylion'. Just, a bit scary, what some aspiring musicians or their (caring??) parents thought of doing. The Dactylion Device for Aspiring Pianists The 3rd, yet another device! As if 'The Dactylion' one wasn't enough. Strange, I now have an urge to go and watch(yes, I have copy) "Young Frankenstein". The Ochydactyl (The Finger Softener) I hopefully 🤞, have a Jiffy Pop in the pantry,
  11. As my final, no really it's true, my very final comment(s) on our, Word of the Day, "Ebullient". I journeyed to the end(28 pages worth)and much to my surprise found no/nil/none/zilch/zip, nada(zero) porn sites. I leave you with two selections to peruse, if I may? The 1st, is to let you know that the time you invested here, in reading these was time well spent, in my opinion. "Four things to keep an ebullient mindset" - I've Decided – Our mission is your success! The 2nd, that one just never knows, when seeing a/any 'Word of the Day', how timely its' appearance really is. Who knows, we might think back to the word "Ebullient" in the future and quip that it was here and now, it was seen. Is America ready for its first-ever First Gentleman? - New Vision Official May the Force be with you, with us all, live long and prosper sandrewn🖖
  12. Did you know? Someone who is ebullient is bubbling over with enthusiasm, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that ebullient comes from the Latin verb ebullire, which means "to bubble out." When ebullient was first used in the late 1500s its meaning hewed closely to its Latin source: ebullient meant "boiling" or "bubbling," and described things like boiling water and boiling oil instead of someone's bubbly personality. Only later did the word's meaning broaden beyond describing the liveliness of a boiling liquid to encompass emotional liveliness and enthusiasm. eg: The joyous celebration of one of the 33 miners rescued in Chile. When he reached the surface after 69 days underground, Mario Sepulveda led the ecstatic crowd in a patriotic cheer. He quickly became known as "Super Mario," and many news stories described him as ebullient.
  13. sandrewn

    Chapter 20

    It is a good thing that all three separate stories, are slowly working their way towards one another. Time(hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) and perhaps, our authors will connect a certain ex whipping boy, who just happens to have this needed spell, has the echelon required to use it, proof being his own new arm. With an 11,000 year old, (tween?) Garn prince in need of a new foot. Thus, one less favor to owe a trickster deity. Sounds like a plan to me.
  14. I try to add a comment here as often as possible, for variety or to inject some humor. Today, left me in the dust. My H.S. diploma long buried in some never again to be opened trunk(I picture the Lost Ark in the crate, as it is wheeled away, never to be seen again). I won't go into details, nor point fingers, but some of us (myself included) are full of it.
  15. As a rule, I would agree. There are times(yup), when the effort to do that, would itself cause you to loose self control, way before getting to your destination(been there, done that). Did you know: Absquatulate | Word Genius Words Full of Sound and Fury( grandiloquent ! ). Grandiloquent Words - The New York Times
  16. Once again, I googled them all and once again the very last entry was to a porn site. I picked four to offer you. The first/second, an expansion of what drpaladin gave us. The third, something just a little bit different, including a picture of a molt. ecdysis, ecdysiast | Sesquiotica ecdysiast - Good Word Word of the Day alphaDictionary * Free English On-line Dictionary Emmeline Lock: E is for Ecdysiast This last, a blast from the past. November11. 1901, to be exact, thanks to the courtesy of Thomas A. Edison. File:Trapeze Disrobing Act (1901).webm - Wikipedia
  17. I am sure that like everyone else, we all went pretty much through the same sites, looking for something different and/or unusual to say about, the Word of the Day. Multiple dozens & dozens of them, until finally reaching the end, which of course, were all of the porn sites. I picked out 4 that caught my attention. The first two, completely unrelated, with anything mentioned so far. Callipygian Boll – Backyard and Beyond Avery Callipygian Imperial Stout - Paste Magazine The third, something that could, be found in our own lounge here at GA. Callipygian Pygophilia | The Closet Professor Last but not least(my favorite) and a complete surprise. Not a song, but a dance or to be precise, a jig. Enjoy! Press the Audio button, to hear the 'Callipygian Jig'. Callipygian (jig) on The Session
  18. This may come as a shock to some of you, that GA/Myr, is not, I repeat not, the only site to offer a 'Word of the Day'. In fact there is a site, called that and guess what/all that it does? Surprise!! Word of the Day - yclept | Dictionary.com (Listen to its' PODCAST, 2min:12sec., yclept in a nutshell.) To top it off, if you like to read(a given), this site, has it all for you, info with some humor, facts, stories and visuals. Enjoy! yclept | Sesquiotica
  19. Every so often, Myr gives us a 'Word of the Day', like today's. Yare, it just breezes by and is gone out of sight in a flash, or sinks right in front of us, leaving the odd bubble(or two). Two(2) members responded, with a grand total of 46 words. Here is my minuscule bit of input. The first, expanding on their comments. The second, for entertainment and a possible smile? Yare meaning: Agile, quick, responsive, nimble, lively - OneLook What does Yare Yare mean in Japanese?
  20. As much as I was enjoying snooping around for more stuff on, the Word of the Day. After finding a reference to used condoms(that I would rather/will not talk about) the time had come to quit. I found a way to end this on a lighter note, with two; Merrie Melodies shorts. The funnier one, in my opinion, is, Daffy Duck in "Golden Yeggs" from 1950, but is not free(sorry). Golden Yeggs - Wikipedia The second one, Bugs Bunny in "Easter Yeggs" from 1947. It was my first time seeing it, hope you enjoy it as well. Robert McKimson’s “Easter Yeggs” (1947) Starring Bugs Bunny | (scroll down, then click on the cartoon) "That's all Folks!" ,
  21. I am not finished yet, but one site, Merriam-Webster, has an entry on it, as part of an interesting list of 11 obscure word for thieves: 11 Obscure Words for Thieves | Merriam-Webster And the search continues,
  22. Seeing the above, I fear that the family farm, as most of us imagine it in our minds, is just that, a fond, but wistful memory. I was born in a village, but came to Canada(got off the ship in Montreal and never left), when I was three years old and recall almost nothing of my life there. The old reference to the back forty, is now most likely the back 400/4,000 acres. The old Maw and Pa operation, of an age gone bye. For those of you, still interested in the farm thing(best of luck), I came across this, it might give you some new ideas and allow your dream to come true. 27 Most Profitable Small Farm Ideas Good luck, sandrewn
  23. For the majority, who did not noticed it, no surprise. For those, who did note it, but didn't really care, again no great surprise. However for the few that saw it, wondered, then quickly forgot about it, life goes on. Admit it, now you are curious, what is , babbling about, finally lost it, time for a tranquilizer? How about, if I mention that I live in the only province in Canada that has French as its' official language. As the lights all go on, Gotcha! The wording is not a, one for one translatable and it would most likely be genre, not sort, used. mais qu'est-ce que c'est, ce genre de merde (but what is this, this type of shit) Here endeth the lesson, (excuse my four letter word, but in my defense, @Myr used it first)
  24. I have spent the last hour or so, checking any/all references I could find on today's 'Word of the Day'. All of the comments so far, interesting, if not a tad, repetitive. Here then is my contribution (yes, I know, Wiki yet again...) : Witan - Wikipedia To quote what drpalidin said That's All Folks HD - YouTube ,
  25. As Bill W and drpaladin stated, this 'Word of the Day', is old fashioned, archaic and as with all emotions, the authors amongst you have a wide variety of words to use in its place. The following offers you a possible list of 161 synonyms and similar words to choose from(and antonyms): WROTH Synonyms: 161 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus In the end, I am reminded of one of the first principles of instruction taught to me, before I stood up in front of my very first class of students/recruits. OMG, that was over fifty years ago!! No bells or whistles, song or dance needed! Just keep it, K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Stupid ).
×
×
  • Create New...