Jump to content

sandrewn

Members
  • Posts

    6,514
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sandrewn

  1. Morning Myr, let me start by saying one of the first things I do after logging onto GA of late, is to check out the 'Word of the Day', thank you for that. What ever the word, it is often the picture/GIF/video that you use to illustrate, that often captures my attention. Take as an example the word for today, 'Ullage'. I am confident the usual members(thank you all so much), will make short work of it. So my two cents, today will only be: Ullage - Wikipedia Chin Chin, Oops, even my sign off, needs a comment. Two replies I found while looking up, chin chin and the actual Japanese meaning. 1. TIL "chin chin" can mean cheers. As an American, I only ever knew it as the Japanese word for "peepee". Which of course begs the question, Why do so many Americans know the Japanese word for “peepee” though? 2. Yep, you see stories sometimes from people in the UK who host Japanese exchange students or have guests/friends/business colleagues discovering far too late that what we use as a fun little alternative to Cheers! is going to make people who speak Japanese crack up laughing at the dinner table. 3. "Chinchin", a Japanese word for penis (similar to "Willy" in English)
  2. My first thought after reading the above was, 'TALKING HEADS!', and the mindless sheep who listen to them. Interestingly enough, but not surprisingly, while looking up any & or/all definitions of, 'TALKING HEADS', I finally came across this bit of wisdom. What does "talking head" mean in slang? A person whose talk is empty and pretentious. Enough said,
  3. I was going to start off with 'Old soldiers never die, they simply fade away' (his farewell speech to Congress,1951). Followed by Gene Autrys' song. Sort of referencing me(hoping to keep on fading away for another 10/20 yrs or more🤞). Then I was going to wander off and on to, about Gideon Bibles in hotel rooms, oops, there I go again, sorry. I even worked in 'Geronimo', due to my enjoyment of jumping out of planes, almost did it again, my bad. Okay, okay, back to 'Ultracrepidarian' the Word of the day and possibly a preemptive strike towards 9 other words, our leader(Myr) might have held thoughts on introducing to us. 10 Polite Words for Impolite People | Merriam-Webster (our word is no.5 on this list)
  4. In case you were wondering, no I did not buy a lottery ticket yesterday, surprise! (see 6 July comment) As far as today's word choice,'ulotrichous', I was yet again feeling, not up to speed. Then I came across this chart, ULOTRICHOUS definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary (scroll down the page until you get to the chart in question) and realized that I was not the only one, not up to speed, with regards to Myr's, 7 July selection. Sometimes, knowledge of collective ignorance can be bliss(feeling much better now, thank you).
  5. I will let the dedicated experts here do their usual great, pick it apart ritual, it is beyond my pay grade. I did find couple of references, just to add my two cents worth(note, that Canada doesn't make them anymore). 1. What's your ubiety? – UBIETY 2. ubiety | Sesquiotica A note of interest, if ever I find myself in a library in China and while wandering among its' endless shelves, come across these sets of characters: in Chinese (Traditional) 所在,位置, 客觀實在… or in Chinese (Simplified) 所在,位置, 客观实在… I would run out and buy a lottery ticket with a billion to one odds of winning. Compared to finding these translations of 'ubiety' (totally by chance), winning should be a foregone conclusion.
  6. Did you know? Just because nugatory isn’t the most common word in the English language doesn’t mean it’s trifling. Rather, nugatory is literally trifling because the two words are synonymous, as in “comments too nugatory to merit attention.” Nugatory first appeared in English in the 17th century; it comes from the Latin adjective nugatorius, which can mean not only “trifling” or “frivolous” but also "futile.” This sense carried over into English as well, and so in some contexts nugatory means “ineffective” or “having no force,” as when Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Marilynne Robinson invoked “the nugatory value of the contemporary penny.” Nugatory may mean little to some, but we think it’s worth a pretty penny. Nugatory Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster Note: 1. Thank you Myr, it was good to see, Hugh/Third of Five after so long. 2. Despite, Marilynne Robinsons' comment, "it's worth a pretty penny". When the cost of making one become more than it's face value, the writing was one the wall. Bye, bye penny, pretty or not. 3. How many of us have ever said (I did), "A penny for your thoughts".😢 🖖
  7. So we go from fiction, Pinocchio - Wikipedia Ellsworth’s Cinema of Swords: 3 Musketeers + 1 Long Nose – Black Gate to reality, Nasute Termites (Nasutitermitinae) | SpringerLink Proboscis monkey - Wikipedia Blobfish: Facts about the world's ugliest animal - BBC Science Focus Magazine Jimmy Durante - Wikipedia (“Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.”)
  8. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out, if and when you do.
  9. @Bill W You are quite right. We tend to associate nest building with birds. So it shouldn't be a surprise to learn, that their ancestors, the dinosaurs were also nest builders. Flexi Says: Many types of animals build nests, including a variety of fish, amphibians, mammals, turtles, lizards, snakes, and crocodiles. Nest-building behavior has been a common characteristic in the animal kingdom for millions of years. Even dinosaurs built nests! When I posted before, I had found 2 great articles on this. However I deleted them after I posted and I haven't been able to find them again. So I am using Wikipedia as a reference, sorry. Nest - Wikipedia Just for interest sake, names of some nests: A badger's nest is called a sett. A beaver's nest is called a lodge. An eagle's nest is called an eyrie. An otter's den is called a holt or a couch. A pheasant's nest is called a nide. A rabbit's nest is called a form. A squirrel's or ringtail possum's nest is called a drey. A wasp's nest is called a vespiary.
  10. Odds are, with the time left to me on this earth(damn that never ending, tick, tick, ticking), I will never come across this word again. Nidificate Nidificate: to build a nest. Nidification is a word that can be interpreted in many ways. Ultimately humans are animals with basic primal needs, hard wired into us, that we can not change. The act of “building a nest” is nothing but a normal human response to being alive. We want to feel safe and sheltered but also have the freedom to spread our wings and fly. We all build nests in different ways in our lives. No two nests are alike. Each is built from unique and individual parts. We use the resources available to build our nest and our shelter. The nest changes as we change and grow.
  11. I really don't think this would of worked for, KC & The Sunshine Band ?? Shake shake shake, shake shake shake Shake your booty, shake your booty Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake Shake your booty, shake your booty or??? Jabble jabble jabble, jabble jabble jabble Jabble your booty, jabble your booty Oh, jabble jabble jabble, jabble jabble jabble Jabble your booty, jabble your booty Soul Train Shake Your Booty KC & Sunshine Band - YouTube Doesn't work for me now, wouldn't of worked for me then()
  12. @Valkyrie Gadzooks!!! I agree, but I was gobsmacked, that you felt that way too!
  13. Thank you, drpaladin. Now, aegir rang a bell. As in Aegir, son of Capt. Gradon and Madelyn. From the on going story, Sands of Time, by GA Classic Author, @Roland. A part of the also on going, Kandric Saga, by another GA Classic Author, Kyle Aarons. Though, why they/Roland chose that name, considering its' meaning, bamboozles me? Ægir | Myth and Folklore Wiki | Fandom Ægir - Wikipedia
  14. I have spoken about this particular cheese before. So what the hey, why not one more time. If you are munching on yet more cheese, you might want to stop while reading about this one(fair warning given). Just to calm your nerves a bit, this cheese is not legal to have in the US or Cda. http://www.experiencesardinia.com/images/maggot-cheese.jpg Casu marzu: The world’s ‘most dangerous’ cheese | CNN ()
  15. It's comforting to know I am not alone. My first thought was of a ragamuffin. Which lead me to a rather surprising reference, Dictionaries of the Scots Language:: SND :: ragabash Go figure? This sure beats dumpster diving, cleaner and less smelly too,
  16. Or something from the Lion King?
  17. We have all had days like that, C'est La Vie . A belated, Happy Birthday Wish to you! Hope your weekend celebration plan(s) work out.🤞 Take care/be happy, sandrewn
  18. ii This is some info from the article that Bill posted. Specifically, the Emerald Ash Borer. The City of Montreal is known for its landscape. More than 200,000 ash trees make up nearly half of the city’s treescape, and one quarter of those (or 50,000 trees) are on public lands. Montreal Increases Pesticide Treatment by 6300% Annually - Eos
  19. PEOPLE vs SPIDERS!! - Funny Scare Compilation PEOPLE vs SPIDERS!! - Funny Scare Compilation - YouTube
  20. I myself stopped counting awhile ago. First heard of in the 1950s(by the odd person). JFYI, I have used a synonym for it on many occasions, gobbledygook. As a final note of interest, there was(is) a board game called.... Baffle Gab | Board Game | BoardGameGeek As a final, final comment, I have never ever used it(nor played the game). I have listened to both the English and American pronunciations of it and have now deleted any and all references I have of it. I think it is time to play the Goldfish card(3 second rule). I beg your pardon, what were we talking about?
  21. sandrewn

    Sesso a tre

    @drpaladin You keep a character chapter count until George converts them? Truth be told, I would of been the first to comment on this chapter, but? It took me awhile to backtrack, find and get a count of all the chapters. So the answer is no.
  22. sandrewn

    Sesso a tre

    Several points to make. You will probably be the only other person who will say ' Boldog Anyák Napját ' today, thank you. You presented, then proposed and/or solved several problems facing Granger and Calvert. You did so without the death/maiming of any crewmen, especially with regards to midshipmen, lieutenants and a certain captain. It has been 113 chapters since you introduced us to Rafael!! I think he holds the record as the longest holdout on our heroes to do/done to list (not that he had such a list???) Well done, Sir. Thank you,
  23. I am sure I did this once before. So I started scrolling backwards and then decided, screw this and started this new one, here goes. To all of you who are ' Wishing you all, A Happy Mother's Day'. To all of our Mothers, still with us ' Wishing you all, A Happy Mother's Day'. To the memory of those who have passed ' Wishing you always, A Happy Mother's Day'. To my Mom, her birthday was May 1, 1024. She would of been 100 years old for this one ' Wishing you forever, A Happy Mother's Day'. sandrewn
      • 4
      • Love
  24. Giant Spider Earrings Spiders. They're not just for creeping you out in dark, dusty corners anymore. Now, thanks to the wonders of fashion innovation, you can sport them as your favorite accessory! These Giant Spider Earrings will Make Your Halloween Outfit Unforgettable!
  25. It is true, the world can change overnight. The first thing I saw tonight was that purple banner. Then I focused on the words and in a blink of the eye, it did. Oh, the sun will still rise in the morning, but I think that when I look up into the heavens tonight, there will be a new star shining down up us. Science says, stars appear to blink due to the Earths' atmosphere. You and I know(believe) it is just Comsie 'Winking at us' from his new home. My second and last thought was forever, GFD. "Fair Winds and Following Seas"
×
×
  • Create New...