Jump to content

Summerabbacat

Members
  • Posts

    8,285
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Summerabbacat

  1. Promise, not "stalking". There a few authors whose "chart history" I follow.
  2. Just so long as she does not want to watch them "make out". That would be just too much like Kathy or Abel Taft.
  3. Your foray into the Fantasy and Historical genres has been a resounding success @Mark Ponyboy Peters, with this story #1 in the Fantasy genre for the month ending 20/03/26 (up from #9 for the month ending 20/02/26) and #3 in the Historical genre (your first placing in this category). Its #1 position is now your second #1, with A Good Place being #1 in the General Fiction genre for the month ending 06/06/25. You may not quite be ABBAesque yet, but to quote the fabulous Renee Geyer, you are Heading In The Right Direction . Well done.
  4. Maybe she will take on a "grandmotherly" role with Virgil as well.
  5. Brody fucked up. OMG, how dare he be human. Parker's ego was damaged, beyond repair it seems, his trust in Brody destroyed because he omitted disclosure. Parker's reaction infuriated me, and now it appears Brody is dead, or at least on the brink of death, a death which almost seemed liked suicide, at least to me. If Brody succumbs, Parker is going to be very lonely in his brownstone with just his ego for company. Just deserts I think. I wanted HEA for this story @Cap, but it seems that it is not to be. Parker is an arsehole and so disappointing.
  6. "And how's the shitting commune?" For just a moment I forgot Elaine's fondness for the "brown word" and interpreted her comment literally. A rather "unusual" shared passion if such a commune did exist, certainly not one I could see myself joining. Louis' new comic draft found favour initially with Charlie, was then warmly and enthusiastically received by Ruth and Eileen, and finally was read with much amusement by Gloria and PJ, and then a "begrudging" appreciation from the dog "Sarge" himself. A very amusing chapter @Robert Hugill.
  7. Grandma Maggie is certainly very different in attitude and temperament to her hot-headed, homophobic son. Her offer to move in with Maureen, Steven, Sam and Bobby is a win-win situation. Somewhat surprisingly all the boys are on board with her moving in. The only possible conflict I can see at this point in time will be if any of the boys badmouth their father she may not take kindly too it, although she does appear to be quite well aware her son is no angel. A wonderfully warm chapter @Lee Wilson.
  8. "This is it," Brody croaked, his voice sounding like a cement mixer full of wet gravel. “I’m done. I can feel the lights going out." This scene was hilarious; Brody reduced to a big baby by a viral illness. Brody's jealousy was completely irrational and he knew it, but felt powerless to control it. His behaviour when Parker returned home was frightening and obsessive, a little like his manic behaviour before Parker departed and he unpacked and re-packed his bags for him. Brody's impending departure for 4 months has him shell-shocked. I fear both he and Parker are going to have a meltdown of major proportions being apart for that long. A new "chapter" in the relationship between Parker and Brody, and it was off to a rocky start. Hopefully this does not herald an unsettled future for them, but I fear it does. Challenging times ahead @Cap. Let us hope they fare a little better than Britney has of late @Cap.
  9. Carronne's residents banded together to protect the Prince and his fellow escapees, their ingenuity ensuring none were found. From loaves of bread to slippery eels, they used whatever was available to halt Septimus' soldiers. Not a rocket launcher or AI in site. Marin's a bit full of herself isn't she. Maybe she needs to be brought down a peg or too. And for Felix's sake, get that woman a decent haircut. Prince Raemande and the Warlock are in need of nourishment, both weak after their recent imprisonment. No fast food outlets within cooee, will they survive? The food they were given by the residents of Carronne certainly cannot last long, and they cannot live on stream water alone. Where is Delia Smith when she is seriously needed? Out looking for crème fraîche again I suppose.
  10. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    "Life is full of irritating little coincidences. For instance, I caught up on the paperwork just in time to start interviewing for our new receptionist/secretary. Alanis Morrisette would have probably called it ironic." I knew this was going to be a good chapter from the opening paragraph. The text highlighted in bold, perfectly matched. Killian is not listening to you @drsawzall. Speeding again and possibly over the legal alcohol limit still from the night before. Perhaps it is time for you to pay him a visit in your beautiful frock and cardigan, with full "Nanna" make up, a beautifully coiffed "do" and "armed" with that garden hose. The interviewees were a motley bunch. I wonder if Novak has Judy in mind for the receptionist's job. I don't imagine her services as an interior designer/decorator would be in demand as much as they were when she and Jake moved to L.A. The distressed caller who sobbed but did not speak was disconcerting. I hope it is not Tad calling and he has gotten himself into a compromising situation or worse still a dangerous situation. The "Micah" situation is clearly a sticking point for Killian, but sooner or later he will have to make a decision. @Josh Aterovis as noted by several "Aterovisionados", a chapter without a cliffhanger. Perhaps this as an indication all hell will break loose in the next chapter.
  11. A deep and thought provoking tale of two men living somewhat shallow and unfulfilling lives in the military, men who meet by chance and soon realise they have found what they thought they never would - being seen by another, becoming important in the life of another, being a safe haven for another and mind-blowing, wholly satisfying, sex. A brilliant debut @Cap.
      • 2
      • Love
  12. It's testament to the strength of a relationship if a couple can find joy in the tedium of domestic chores or the mundane of grocery shopping. It was interesting to observe how these tasks, which had previously incited dread or even fear in Brody and Parker, suddenly became something to celebrate and enjoy sharing. Absolutely marvellous story @Cap, one which I am pleased to observe now has a sequel.
  13. One of the real joys of this story is the intergenerational friendship between Gran and Caleb. It is wholly believable, perhaps even moreso now they have had their first disagreement, with Caleb storming off and Gran now forlorn. I am sure it will all blow over quickly as both genuinely like each other and are inherently kind and respectful. Kilby has turned a corner. He is feeling guilty for lying to Edward about his former nocturnal profession. I don't believe Edward will be either shocked or disgusted when Kilby finally reveals all, in fact, his "slip up" in his conversation with Edward did not go unnoticed. Given Kilby's life with his mother, Edward may have contemplated Kilby turning tricks to survive. Peggy rules, but she needs a friend. Perhaps a kitten named Lee, Julie (London) or Doris (Day) or Clara (Bixby) an alias of Doris Day's.
  14. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 14

    My, you do cut a "fine figure" in your frock and cardigan @drsawzall. I am trying to work out what it is you have placed around your neck. Is it a tea towel or some other decorative accoutrement? And what is it that you place in your mouth ever so delicately? LOL. Certainly one of Massachusetts finest older "lady's" by the look of you.
  15. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 14

    3-5 TV channels you say @weinerdog; such variety. In my youth growing up in rural Australia we had 2 TV channels to choose from. TV's did not have a remote control to change the channel or volume, one actually got off one's arse, walked to the TV (often a in a "box" with a timber frame) and turned a knob to change the channel (mind out of the gutter now). TV stations did not run 24/7 and until 1974 (I was 10) programmes were in black and white. Expletives were not commonplace (I did not learn to swear from TV that is for sure); if there was any swearing it was as "offensive" as bloody or sometimes poofter; certainly no fuck, motherfucker, cocksucker, shit or any such "vulgarity". In my family (pre-divorce of the parents in 1977), one was allowed to watch certain programmes, but not others (nothing with sex), and preferably either Aussie or British produced (which I did not mind).
  16. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 14

    I have heard of a Rolodex @drsawzall, but I don't recall ever having seen one 'in the flesh' before. I wonder what the significance of the skull is? Was the "owner" of the skull perhaps murdered, and if so, will said owner inhabit Killian's body at some stage to do some "spirit talking"? Or will Professor Healy perhaps do so? I wonder if your speculation is indicative of your generation @weinerdog because I had the same response. Elyse referring to him as Quinn initially surprised me because she had previously indicated she was not personally fond of him, but this suggested if not a level of intimacy, certainly some degree of camaraderie. The fact she "corrected" herself quickly and referred to him as Professor Healy made me suspicious. I think we may be of a similar vintage @weinerdog, so our reaction may have been generational. I was not surprised when Elyse revealed Professor Healy was a chauvinist. I got that impression of him in his dealings with Lily. Her strong personality and no bullshit attitude would no doubt have rankled him even more. I think I may have speculated this previously, but I wonder if the copper beads found at the dig site resemble those found on the Thompson farm? @drsawzall appears correct, the red herrings are multiplying.
  17. "Wow, dad really screwed up this time. His temper has gotten him close to trouble before, but this time... holy fuck." Steven confirmed what I suspected. His father is not very smart and has gotten him close to trouble before. With the police possibly, which may be why he was so hostile towards them when discussing Sam with Maureen before Sam returned home. I doubt he will be released from prison any time soon given the number and severity of the charges. Steven was very comforting to his brother. I wonder if Steven's gay friend is Alan, and Alan's gaydar pinged when he has met Sam? I Maureen's parents live in the same town/city it may be that she will move in with them if there is room. It would be a win/win scenario for all concerned. Her parents would get to see more of their grandchildren, all of whom appear well adjusted and well behaved, the children would see more of their grandparents, and financially all we be better off. This assumes Maureen's are still alive and pleasant. I daresay both Sam and Bobby will cop flak from some of their fellow classmates once it becomes common knowledge their father is in prison awaiting trial for attempted murder. Bobby may cop the worst of it being that he is the youngest. Well well well @Lee Wilson. The lives of the Lassiter family have certainly been turned upside down to put it mildly. Phil's temper has almost certainly cost him his marriage, and more than likely the respect of all three of his children and his virginity. Bubba awaits and he is very horny for daddy butt.
  18. It must have been the calming effect of The Flooral Dance (Terry Wogan's version obviously, LOL) which set ablaze dopamine production and allowed you to relax @Gary L, or was it Mr Blobby?
  19. The song was first recorded in 1912 by an Aussie bass/baritone singer, Peter Dawson. You might like this version better than Terry Wogan's:
  20. An interesting pronunciation of floral as "flooral" @Robert Hugill. Do most Brits pronounce as "floral" or "flooral" or does it vary depending on where you reside in the UK?
  21. Mine too @MastaMak, and I still say it too. For once I was trying to be more eloquent, because I usually swear like a fucking drunken sailor.
  22. It's pretty awful, but it's a gem compared to the UK #1 Christmas song for 1993, surely one of the worst songs ever. I put it in the same category as the execrable Disco Duck.
  23. A journey through the "bowels" of the castle, literally in some places it seemed, with the stench of "sludge" almost overpowering them at times. A journey not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach. I found it interesting, and it may have been quite unintentional on your part @Mark Ponyboy Peters, that the knights referred to their young rescuers as urchins, whereas Prince Raemande referred to them as waifs, the only notable difference between the two being urchins are poorly or raggedly dressed, whereas waifs may not be so. This suggested to me Prince Raemande is perhaps more tender-hearted and sensitive to slighting the boys, whereas the knights are more rough and tumble. Dare I say Prince Raemande is a little more "woke", a word which I despise, primarily because it is used derogatorily by "humans" I despise, as I too "bristled" each time the boys were referred to as "urchins", even if by themselves or their own kind. As noted by several of the "ponyboy posse" this was a very suspenseful chapter, with several near misses for the waifs and their charges, including near misses with the fetid Dark Lord, Septimus, himself. Oh to see him drown in a deluge of shit, a very fitting ending, but one I fear will not occur.
  24. No, no, no, once again I missed it. Too busy listening to The Floral Dance in my head. It is quite bizarre, but I only thought of that song recently and looked it up to see if it had an accompanying video. I cannot quite remember why I thought of it. It was perhaps when I was listening to the fabulous Chanson D'Amour by The Manhattan Transfer which was a #1 hit in your homeland in 1977 and a hit in Australia too. I hated it as a teenager, but now love it.
  25. I don't think I could live on a canal boat, I get "sea sick" on a boat before it even leaves Sydney Harbour, on a calm clear day. I love the colours of the canal boat above, green with purple. It reminds me of my first Dyson vacuum cleaner, when they were still made in the UK and a great product. It lasted 12 years. The second one, industrial grey with a splash of red, made in Malaysia. One of the wheels fell off within 12 months. Flimsy crap, but still cost a fortune. Never again. Louis and Charlie delighted in helping (organising) Tom. I still wonder what is really going on with him. I don't think Charlie twigged when Joss referred to PJ that it is the same PJ who ordered the lacquered anniversary gift from him. I am almost certain PJ referred to himself as such when he bought the gift. A quirky little chapter @Robert Hugill, one which I enjoyed immensely. I must say though that the PS regarding the grandfather's axe has me somewhat confused. The mention of the brass band reminded me of a song which was a massive hit in your homeland in 1977 (#2). I was 13 at the time and the British pop charts always fascinated me with the numerous one-hit wonders, often with very un-pop pop songs, and this was certainly one. Not a hit at all in Australia. The video quality is crap, but the song still shines through.
×
×
  • Create New...