Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,968 Words
  • 1,468 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

It Had to be Good! - Christmas at Famous-Barr 1929 - 13. XIV. Week Four – Chapter 3: Escape & XV. Consummation – Bet's Holiday Treat

XIV. Week Four –

Chapter 3: Escape

 

On this Christmas Eve, he still lacked that one genius idea for his holiday ad campaign, but Lowell Fredrick's heart glowed nonetheless.

"Alley oop!" A pinched-face German lady hefted her fifty-pound Kartoffelkloß[1] of a five-year-old son onto his lap. "Ja, Ja, tell Kristmas Mann what you will for presents tonight."

Lowell's hand instinctively went up to smooth stray fibers from his beard out of his line of sight. The woman's little potato dumpling was blue-eyed and full of wonder and awe-struck fear. The disguised adman bounced the young man a moment by raising a knee and sending the child's weight into Lowell's pillow-padded stomach. "What's your name?"

"Hans."

"Well, Hans, have you been doing what your father says, and helping your mother out as much as you can?"

Lowell shot a glance to the boy's Mutter, who had clasped hands in silent joy.

"Yes, sir."

"Good lad. So, tell Weihnachtsmann what you vill for Christmas."

As the shy boy began prattling vociferously about Buddy 'L' delivery wagons and fire trucks, Lowell nodded and kept his fingers stroking the hairs of his chin wig. He was sure that motion was conveying the right Santa-Claus image for mother and son alike.

Truth was, Glen's beard was a little too tight, and consequently itched him. However, with the help of the troupe's official costumer, Lowell felt confident the rest of his guise was picture-perfect, right down to the holly sprig on his cap being centered above his left eye for full charm effect.

Also, he was beat, for the long morning of squirming tikes on his lap, and the more-than occasional screams of protest – both of him and of the photographer's flash bulbs – was wearing him down. Right now, his pillow needed adjusting, for little Hans was elbowing his liver relentlessly in his zeal to tell Santa all about the fire truck's swinging hook and ladder.

A glance over the contented Frau's shoulder produced a sight of Singer at the doorway checking up on him – well, on 'Glen.' Lorna's idea would work because of two things. One, the adman and the blues-singing cowboy were the same height, same build, and came complete with blue eyes. The other essential feature of the ruse was Lawrie feeding reassurances to Singer and Dandiprat Dave that Glen was well under surveillance at all times; that the vaudevillian and the troupe's daughter could not effect an escape. Lowell felt like laughing.

How wrong they were, and the sweet notion was also broad enough to encompass thoughts of Alden. He remembered leaving the bruised but resolute man sitting amongst their luggage in his Saint Nicholas hotel room. By tonight – by the time this wonderful store and its Santaland Circus closes – Alden will be at Union Station and Lowell can join him. They'd soon be snuggled in an Atlanta-bound Pullman and anticipating their new life together. The adman's Christmas would be bright after all, even if inspiration failed to work its holiday magic. He could lose his job now and still feel he was leaving town with much more than he arrived with. In that regard, Christmas had come early, and he was as giddy as any one of the elves now waiting in line for his lap.

"Smile!" the photographer called out. The motion of him raising his flash wand drew the eyes of both Hans and Santa to the camera lens.

Whoop!

The picture was taken, and Lowell's hand reached to his left; this was by far his favorite part. He picked up one of the red-edged Santa Books and placed it in the boy's grasp. "Ho, Ho, Ho! Merry Christmas from Famous-Barr."

The boy blinked, and his mother helped him down with a warm "Thank Santa Claus."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, Hans. Be a good boy."

Lowell knew with bottomless clarity that that message and this experience would be remembered and treasured by the boy for the rest of his life.

The next child on his lap was a bright little girl in neat pigtails and satiny-luxe clothing. Barely able to speak the preliminaries, the assertive young lady took over with her wish list and résumé of qualifications to make it on the 'Good List,' and this allowed Lowell to sit back and consider what Glen and Bettina must be up to right about now.

A few hours ago, while Bet hid out near the Bargain Basement's jewelry counter, Glen had checked into the green room to get into his costume like normal – and, to be seen by Singer. That accomplished, Lorna dressed Lowell and the boy sneaked down the employee staircase to the 8th floor below, and then rode the staff lift all the way down to the cellar. There, the happy pair would pick out a ring, catch a cab to City Hall, and make their way to Union Station. Lowell couldn't glance at his wristwatch, but he expected by now the newly-married, freshly-eloped couple – and their horse – were on a westbound train destined for a complete life together.

As the photographer drew their attention, the adman realized the four of them would all leave Saint Louis with more than they bargained for, and in a way, it was all due to this store, to this place and time.

Whoop!

'Life sure is funny,' he thought with a hidden smile.

Just as Lowell was handing the bright young girl her souvenir book and wishing her a Merry Christmas, Lorna appeared.

She nodded at him and proceeded to the head of the line, where the woman strung the velvet rope and announced that "Santa has an urgent telegram from the North Pole. He'll be back in 15 minutes."

He stood, and she escorted him towards the exit by latching onto his arm and reminding him in hushed tones: "You'll have to stay in costume, and you cant go to the green room either – don’t want anybody finding out you're not Glen."

"Fine," he said. "But I'm really thirsty."

"Then go downstairs."

And Lorna was right. A little stretching of the legs, a little refreshment, and he'd be right as rain to close out the day.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Knowing he didn’t have much time to waste, Lowell stood in the descending public elevator feeling awkward. He had it brought home to him that even outside of Santaland, the adman was representing Santa and all the magic that Saint carried on his shoulders.

People smiled to simply see him, and Lowell's holiday spirits bloomed. "Ho, Ho, Ho!" ripped out of him and delighted his fellow elevator passengers.

It was the same merry cloud of jollity that followed him as he made his way through the throngs of folks shopping Famous-Barr's main floor. In his eyes, the seasonal color glowed extra bright, while the fresh pine scent from the many wreaths on the columns refreshed his nose.

He knew he looked jovial, and he certainly felt that way as his hands automatically latched onto his broad belt. 'Yes,' he thought. 'An American Santa, bright, open, fatherly – that's what people want.'

As he turned into the aisle at the head of the Soda Fountain, he was a bit dismayed to discover every stool was taken. This place was bustling, but never mind, he had been sitting all morning, so he could stand.

He strode about halfway down the length of the marble and onyx counter, enjoying all the turned heads greeting him with smiles and laughter, and asked one of the handsome soda jerks with the paper caps for a Coke.

The young man replied "Sure!" and filled one of that beverage's signature glasses to the brim. A young mother sitting at the counter passed the glass to Lowell. He paid and moved to stand in the center of the aisle. With one hand on his belt, and head kicked back, he drank his Coca-Cola with lip-smacking enjoyment.

He had been so wrapped up in the moment, so dedicated to quenching his thirst, that he temporarily forgot time and place. But when he glanced down again, a great sight met his eyes. Several moms had gathered their children to see Santa, and pointed at him with soft-spoken whispers of wonder.

Lowell blinked, holding his glass before his inspection for a moment. A light bulb went off in his head.

As if in rollicking slow motion, he kicked his head back once more and let out a tremendous: "Merry Christmas from Famous-Barr!"

             


 

XV. Consummation –

Bet's Holiday Treat

 

The train's smooth clickety-clack continued to take them towards their holiday destination.

Glen crossed the compartment and snuggled in close to Bettina Curtis' side. She loved that contact and held up her magazine to the Coke ad for her blues-singing husband to inspect with her.

A great, light blue-green background showed enormous white snowflakes and framed a portrait of Santa Claus. He stood in the aisle of a soda fountain – hand on his hip, head kicked back and sipping a Coke – while a mother and children gathered before him. Wreaths and chandeliers like upside-down wedding cakes of frosted glass made it clear to anyone who had been there exactly where Kris Kringle stood.

She read the ad text for her man:

 

It Had to be Good to get where it is

 

World's largest soda fountain

In the great department store of Famous-Barr Co., Saint Louis,

where busy Christmas shoppers pause and refresh themselves

with ice-cold Coca-Cola.[2]

 

"Oh, Glen!" she squealed with delight. "Isn't it wonderful?! I knew Lowell would come up with a simple and great idea."

"Yes, Coca-Cola and Santa Claus; it seems like a natural. I predict we'll be seeing this campaign for years to come."

"Look, Glen! That's exactly as I remember you from last Christmas, right down to the holly on your cap."

"Yes – Yippee Kaiyay – I made a dashing Kris Kringle!"

"Yes – you and Lowell most certainly did."

"Alden must be so proud. He and Lowell must be so happy."

"Well, Bet, why don’t we see for ourselves?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, once we're in Florida with your family, we can send a telegram to them and go back to Hollywood via a slight detour through Atlanta."

Bettina was deeply moved. "You know, don’t you, that a holiday without seeing Alden just won't be the same for me."

"Well, I suspected it, Bet. And I want you to be happy."

"Oh, I am Glen." She lovingly picked up his hand and used it to stroke her belly. "We are, Glen."

He leaned in and kissed her very gently, making her heart rate skip a contented beat as a blissful whiff of coconut met her nostrils.

He pulled back, appearing like a momentary flash of discomfort had broken his train of thought. He drew up the flap of his jacket, reached into his pocket, and told Bet, "I know I missed it last year. And I'm sorry."

He held an orange before Bettina's eyes.

"But I promise, Bet, I'll never forget your holiday treat again."

She slowly took it from his hand, fighting back tears of joy.

"Merry Christmas, wife."

"Merry Christmas, husband."

They kissed, and then leaned back against their plush seats to let the clickety-clack lull them into a peaceful holiday slumber.

                    

 

~

     

 

 

 

 

[1] Kartoffelkloß: German word for potato dumplings – big ones!

[2] Famous-Barr and Coke ad from December, 1930: this ad created the modern-day, friendly Santa Claus we know and love drinking a Coca-Cola. And it was all because of the Famous-Barr Santa Claus; without him and the store, Coke might never had hit upon this simple yet wonderful idea.

 

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/25/2015 04:06 PM, Cole Matthews said:

Fantastic! I will give you more privately.. So proud of you. This story is amazing. Jmo.

Thanks for the review, Cole. I'm glad you enjoyed this Christmas at the store. I have a few more historical years planned ;)

Link to comment

This was indeed a great present to find under the Christmas tree. Thank you, AC.

 

An ingenious escape. And by helping others Lowell got his job-saving idea.

 

I had been wondering for a while now, what the title referred to. Now it’s clear as day. Did that ad inspire the story ?

 

Singer’s rage at finding out the mistaken identity of Santa is left to our imagination.
Because of the Initiation and the Consummation, embracing the story like a big Christmas hug, we know that the rage is over and Singer will soon be Granddad Martin.

 

Christmas cheers to two happy couples. Thanks for a marvelous story, AC.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh AC, such a Christmas treat! I'm sad it's over. But I'm happy that it's a happy ever after for both couples.
Can't wait to return to Famous-Barr...
tim

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh Gosh! It took me a second to get the implication of the Santa switch! Brilliant, and from that we get Lowell's Santa Coke ad. Total glee at that! The link at the chapter's end note brought it all together too.

 

See, not even Lorna could fix the Alden fiasco, but at least we know he is happy. Glen is a wonderful and thoughtful husband for making the time to see Alden and Lowell.

 

We've come all the way around, and there's a baby on the way to boot. Best present, even though I'm never happy when your stories end. This was an absolute joy to read, and may be, but only just by a splithair, my fav of yours.

 

Thank you AC!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The Great Escape AC!

 

Beautifully accomplished, and even gave us a little more insight into Lowell. Lorna came through, as we knew she would.

 

And my guess was correct about Santa and Coke!!! I knew it was around that time Coke won the Santa 'endorsement' but, of course, was completely unaware of the FB connection. I never even heard of FB until you blessed us all this holiday season with It Had to be Good!

 

And bless YOU for that!!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/25/2015 05:01 PM, J.HunterDunn said:

This was indeed a great present to find under the Christmas tree. Thank you, AC.

 

An ingenious escape. And by helping others Lowell got his job-saving idea.

 

I had been wondering for a while now, what the title referred to. Now it’s clear as day. Did that ad inspire the story ?

 

Singer’s rage at finding out the mistaken identity of Santa is left to our imagination.

Because of the Initiation and the Consummation, embracing the story like a big Christmas hug, we know that the rage is over and Singer will soon be Granddad Martin.

 

Christmas cheers to two happy couples. Thanks for a marvelous story, AC.

Thank you, Peter, for the great review and for enjoying the novella so much. As for inspiration, by now the Appendices will be posted, and you can see my main inspiration came from the 1928 Santaland, and from the Coca-Cola ad of 1931. This is a fictional account, but one based on history.

 

A warm hug…I like that analogy…reminds me of Glen and Bet sitting back and drifting into their holiday slumber.

 

Thanks again for all of your support!

Link to comment
On 12/27/2015 02:09 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh AC, such a Christmas treat! I'm sad it's over. But I'm happy that it's a happy ever after for both couples.

Can't wait to return to Famous-Barr...

tim

Thank you, Tim. I have a few more Christmases in mind to visit. The store will be waiting for us…

Link to comment
On 12/27/2015 06:33 AM, Defiance19 said:

Oh Gosh! It took me a second to get the implication of the Santa switch! Brilliant, and from that we get Lowell's Santa Coke ad. Total glee at that! The link at the chapter's end note brought it all together too.

 

See, not even Lorna could fix the Alden fiasco, but at least we know he is happy. Glen is a wonderful and thoughtful husband for making the time to see Alden and Lowell.

 

We've come all the way around, and there's a baby on the way to boot. Best present, even though I'm never happy when your stories end. This was an absolute joy to read, and may be, but only just by a splithair, my fav of yours.

 

Thank you AC!

Thank you, Defiance19. I wanted and hoped there'd be a moment of disorientation at the beginning of this chapter – a 'what…? who's in the costume…?' moment. This feeling is hopefully distracted by how adorable little Hans is with his poking elbows and Buddy 'L' truck requests.

 

Yes, this chapter, although not long, is meant to tie everything up. I liked imagining the elopement through Lowell, for it seems he' imagining it just as we might.

 

Thanks as always for a wonderful review, and for all of your enthusiasm. It means the world to me!

Link to comment
On 12/29/2015 03:50 AM, skinnydragon said:

The Great Escape AC!

 

Beautifully accomplished, and even gave us a little more insight into Lowell. Lorna came through, as we knew she would.

 

And my guess was correct about Santa and Coke!!! I knew it was around that time Coke won the Santa 'endorsement' but, of course, was completely unaware of the FB connection. I never even heard of FB until you blessed us all this holiday season with It Had to be Good!

 

And bless YOU for that!!

Thank you, skinnydragon, for a fantastic review! Lorna, Lowell and Lawrie (the three 'L's, lol) made a dream team for Bet and Glen's future happiness. Hooray for them, and hooray for Famous-Barr – the store once again saved the day and gave us all some incredible history to boot.

 

I'm glad you read the novella and enjoyed it. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement!

Link to comment

Man, this is a wonderful ending for this story--everyone has gotten their wish for love, and Bet will be a mother! That Glen gave her the orange cements the bond of love they share...and she will get to share it with Lowell and Alden as well.
Lowell's ad campaign is so fitting for the time, when new traditions were coming in to alter the old view of Christmas into a kid-friendly time--before this it was more from an adult's perspective, though kids weren't forgotten.
We're just on the brink of genuine sentiment giving way to commercialism as it would within twenty years.
A sad and heart-warming conclusion to a story exploring the similarities and differences between straight and gay love--and finding they are more alike than others might think.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 04/06/2016 04:43 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Man, this is a wonderful ending for this story--everyone has gotten their wish for love, and Bet will be a mother! That Glen gave her the orange cements the bond of love they share...and she will get to share it with Lowell and Alden as well.

Lowell's ad campaign is so fitting for the time, when new traditions were coming in to alter the old view of Christmas into a kid-friendly time--before this it was more from an adult's perspective, though kids weren't forgotten.

We're just on the brink of genuine sentiment giving way to commercialism as it would within twenty years.

A sad and heart-warming conclusion to a story exploring the similarities and differences between straight and gay love--and finding they are more alike than others might think.

Oh, you make me happy with this review!

 

I'm fairly sure we never discussed this topic in the editing process, but much of the way I see 1920s American culture is tied up with this awareness of modernity tempered by Neo-Romantic escapism. In many ways, that's a mood that has not gone away yet, but in the 20s it was pronounced. People wanted fast cars and skyscrapers, and they also wanted over-the-top pictures of The Spanish Main sailing open seas.

 

This spirit of the times is perfectly encapsulated in the original lyrics of Gershwin's "Meadow Serenade," which Glen sings to Bet in the Piano Room (although with new lyrics by yours truly). The original song is about commercialism (Victrolas, Buick and Doges) versus the lovely walk in the countryside.

 

So, thank you for picking that up and mentioning it here, and for a great review.

Link to comment

I don't know how I forgot to comment on one of my favorite chapters of my favorite FB story, but I think I wanted to come up with something special to celebrate the happy ending and the brilliant ad idea by Lowell. Every time I read this chapter I end up laughing with joy and the pleasure of a job well done by the clever adman. I'm glad he achieved success in love as well as work life. I can never praise this story enough - or the whole series. :worship: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/25/2017 at 1:38 AM, Timothy M. said:

I don't know how I forgot to comment on one of my favorite chapters of my favorite FB story, but I think I wanted to come up with something special to celebrate the happy ending and the brilliant ad idea by Lowell. Every time I read this chapter I end up laughing with joy and the pleasure of a job well done by the clever adman. I'm glad he achieved success in love as well as work life. I can never praise this story enough - or the whole series. :worship: 

Thank you, Tim, my friend. The more time-distance I get from this novella the more I see how important it. One, its story is really interesting, and I've enjoyed all the reactions and emotions it's raised, and two, the fact that Coca-Cola's Santa exists at all is really remarkable. Famous-Barr's Santa, as the living, breathing embodiment of the season, inspired the first ever ad uniting the man in red and white to the warm-weather beverage. It's a fact any department store in the world would have promoted and touted and a big deal, because it means Famous' Santa defined the very image of the icon for many around the world. That I find breathtaking. And as if having FB's Santa in 1929 shape our view of him were not enough, William P. Barr and Company invented the entire concept of a department store Santa Claus to visit with in 1880. That is another fact any other store in the world would promote regularly, but quite frankly, I'm convinced (based more and more on what I learn from firsthand material) that miracles at Famous were a routine occurrence ;)         

 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart <3 Your help and support added richly to this long project.

 

 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..