Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 193 Words
  • 972 Views
  • 4 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Pride Month, and other Haibun - 7. Goethe to Behrisch

.

Goethe to Behrisch

Haibun

 

“Ha, Behrisch, here is one of those moments. You’re gone, and this paper is cold company compared to your arms. Oh, God, God….”[1]

 

Tod ist Trennung,

dreifacher Tod

Trennung ohne Hoffnung

wiederzusehn.

 

Death is parting;

a threefold death

is parting without hope

of reunion.

 

Gerne verließest du

dieses gehaßte Land,

hielte dich Freundschaft

mit Blumenfesseln an mir.

 

I know you’d gladly leave

this detested country,

if not for my friendship’s bond

in chains of blossoming links.

 

 

◇ ◇ ◇

 

Be callous!

A heart unmoved lightly

Is fitting tribute

To the uncaring ways of the Earth.

 

But Behrisch, your shining features

Need not be lit by the smile of spring,

Nor darkened by tempestuous

Frowns from wintertime.

 

Therefore do not lean upon

The anxiety-ridden breast of the girls,

Or within the moody arms of your brother

Who might bring you nothing but grief. [2]

 

 

 

~

 

 

 


[1] Letter from Goethe to Ernst Wolfgang Behrisch, November 10th, 1767.

[2] Drei Oden an meinen Freund Behrisch (“Three Odes to My Friend Behrisch”), 1767.

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

beautiful and touching ... but at least he had the paper...

Well, it's good for the rest of us that he had the paper ❤️  Thanks for reading and commenting, Tim.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

How I love these morsels; Goethe seems less Olympian here, far more human. So very lovely. Thank you! 

Thank you, Parker. I was struck to try and translate these by how utterly short and grief-stricken are the words: Tod ist Trennung. Only four beats in this line, and yet the young poet's feelings are laid out for all the world to see. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..