Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 446 Words
  • 733 Views
  • 6 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Pride Month, and other Haibun - 5. Watching a Dance

.

Watching a Dance

Haibun

 

"A day so lovely, it makes the angels sigh."

I know I have heard these lyrics before, and as clear, summer weather approaches, I conjure up images of the season: of moving shards reflected on placid lake water; of high, vaporous clouds barely tracing themselves overhead; and of honest smiles squinting through the sunshine. It is the one season where our experience might seem identical to the others which have passed. Through the temporal, the eternal.

 

With methodical movements

the dancer's fan unfolds.

 

Here her motion balances

material with spiritual.

 

The gracefulness on display

is like a dervish's fingers –

 

Up to capture the divine,

down to channel it to substance –

 

To the earthly-spun fiber

making the matter of our souls.

◇ ◇ ◇

 

Poets know about enjoying these quiet moments of communion with ourselves. Recently I've read about Hanjō. He lived two consecutive lives, one as the partner of the Emperor Nimmyo, and another as a recluse meditant. You see, the worldly and sophisticated poet lost his lord to an early death, and Hanjō retired to take holy orders in the Buddhist faith. Giving up everything he ever obtained in 'life,' the widower sought the higher answers which might make himself the impeccable example of a love for another that would not be spoiled by further voluptuousness. How many of us could follow a similar path...?

 

Now a cricket chirps,

not caring for closed windows

or what lies beyond.

◇ ◇ ◇

 

So these thoughts lead me to consider a wonderful folktale, and in fact I suppose if someone wants to know what is at the heart of Japanese sensibilities, they should study this legend. It goes that one day an angel was flying through the sky and felt so moved by the beauty and serenity of the countryside she decided to alight. By a cool mountain stream, she disrobed her wings and hung them on a tree before going in. A short time later, a farmer came along and found these totems of paradise. The angel was distressed and begged the man to leave them, but he would only agree to trade. "What do you want?" she asked. "One dance with you." And so she arose from the water, donned her heavenly vestments and spent a few minutes endowing the mortal with the bliss of a perfect dance.

Hanjō captured a moment of summertime just like this.

 

Not too quickly, wind,

part the clouds and take from me

this heaven on earth –

the ethereal maidens'

dance of perfect perfection.

 


 

~

 

 

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

33 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Thank you for these reflections on the divinity and eternity of summer. 

Thanks for reading it, Parker. I appreciate it. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's beautiful .. i'm lucky in that you share things with me before you even write .... i remember the wonderful pictures.  The pictures of summer days and the dancing angel. And  the poet who sought out religion once his husband had passed on, rather start anew.  i think that's beautiful.. being so happy, so loving the memories he already had.

 

All of these are wonderful AC.. thank you.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

It's beautiful .. i'm lucky in that you share things with me before you even write .... i remember the wonderful pictures.  The pictures of summer days and the dancing angel. And  the poet who sought out religion once his husband had passed on, rather start anew.  i think that's beautiful.. being so happy, so loving the memories he already had.

 

All of these are wonderful AC.. thank you.

Thanks, Tim. This particular Haibun was a coming together of different threads, but they all enmeshed to form a solid somehow. I think that's the beauty of Haibun. 

 

Thank you for reading and commenting; it's always appreciated :) 

 

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..