Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 599 Words
  • 989 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fabulous Pride - 1. Chapter 1

Fabulous Pride

Dale scrolled through the news. Bored out of his skull, he drank three coffees and had origamied himself through most of the Pride flyers scattered all over the table and produced half a dozen rainbow-colored boats in different sizes. He frowned at articles he’d normally ignored. ‘Yankees are in serious hot water after loss to Red Sox’. Who the fuck cared about the fucking Yankees? ‘So-and-so changed their hair color from platinum blond to whatever and is sooooo happy with the new ‘do.’ Ugh. Even the hissing steam, blubbering milk, and clinking of spoons against glasses and mugs didn’t soothe him with their usual white noise. The whining of the coffee grinder bugged him like nothing else.

He’d been prepared to wait for Avery. His best friend had set a loose time frame for them to meet, but that was stretched beyond reason.

When he heard someone pulling out a chair, he looked up and almost swallowed his tongue.

“Ave?”

Instead of his usual neat, ash-blond combed over, his best friend’s hair was dyed every color of the rainbow, or so it seemed. “Did you lose a bet?”

Ave’s excited expression crumbled, his body collapsing in on itself. A flush crept across his cheeks.

Realizing his major fuck-up, Dale switched off the grin. Here bashful, shy Avery made a bold statement, and he mowed him down with his big, stupid mouth. Watching his friend fidget with a napkin, he frantically thought of a way to make up for his thoughtlessness. Apologizing wasn’t good enough.

His gaze darted around until it zeroed on his paper boats. With an exaggerated gesture, Dale smoothed down one of the flyers with his palm. “What are the plans for the weekend? The program is huge.” He ran his finger down the bullet point list of events. “How about Friday we go to the park and listen to the different bands playing there? We could bring a blanket, some food, drinks, and meet with Noah, Alex, and her new girlfriend. I’m curious about her. Saturday we could....”

“I don’t know—”

Dale thought of the tiny rainbow tattoo he had gotten many years ago at a spot no one ever saw, even himself. And how insanely proud he’d been for doing it.

Proud. Holy shit, he was such an idiot! Noah! Avery had a crush on him for ages. The man was the personification of out, proud, and loud. Ave did it for Noah. Dale didn’t like him. The man was brash, sometimes abrasive, demanding everyone should be like him. In their face. They had some epic fights when Dale accused him of being divisive and disruptive. Being private about one’s sexuality wasn’t hiding, and even so, it was everyone’s own, personal decision. Shit. He should have reacted more supportive. I disappointed him. He was pushing Ave directly into Noah’s arms.

“Are you done beating yourself up over there?”

A balled napkin hit his head. “What?”

Avery grinned. “I admit I’m not ready to suggest you for the best-friend-support-award 2021, but that’s that. I’m not mortally wounded by your um, flippant reaction to my fabulous hair.” He smoothed a purple strand back behind an ear. “I won’t throw myself off the next bridge in utter misery. I caught you unaware; I surprised you.”

Dale opened his mouth.

“And no, I didn’t do it for Noah. I did it for myself. I felt like celebrating this year, to be proud of who I am, nothing more.” He pushed back his chair and opened his arms. “Now come here; gimme a hug.”

As always, :thankyou: to @Valkyrie for editing . :glomp:
Thank you for reading . :)
Copyright © 2021 Aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 13
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I liked the rainbow haired Avery, celebrating himself is what Pride is about :) Express your truth

Good little Pride month story

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great little tale for Pride.

Thank you, Chris. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, W_L said:

I liked the rainbow haired Avery, celebrating himself is what Pride is about :) Express your truth

Good little Pride month story

Yes, pride comes, from proud. Express your truth. Exactly. When your ready. Thank you, W_L. :)

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I love how Avery knew exactly what Dale was thinking.  It's a wonderful thing to find your inner Pride and be able to express it.  I love Avery's rainbow hair and how he found the courage to outwardly show his inner Pride.  Great story!  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I did it for myself.  What a perfect summation: Avery has it exactly right. Thank you very much for this story.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

I did it for myself.  What a perfect summation: Avery has it exactly right. Thank you very much for this story.

Exactly! I'm so happy you said this: What a perfect summation.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great example of how mortally wounded we feel when we inadvertently hurt a friend. But, true friendship allows us to make mistakes... and allows us our bad moods. I loved how Avery could read Dale, and knew exactly what he was putting himself through. They should be PROUD of their friendship. :) Sweet little story, Adi. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/23/2021 at 4:39 AM, headtransplant said:

Loved this little story. Avery might be shy but he owned that conversation like a boss. Good for him.

Being himself gave him a boost. Thank you for your comment, headtransplant. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..