Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 919 Words
  • 2,057 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prickly Prompts - 4. #762 More Angels

#762 First line:“You're early," stated Death as they set their newspaper down and turned to face me.
Timothy M. and I wrote a short prequel for Diego's Dance with Death.

“You're early," stated Death as they set their newspaper down and turned to face me.

I wasn’t sure if this was a reprimand or a simple statement and decided to stay by the door and wait for Azrael to tell me what to do next. Should I come in? Take a seat? With one sentence they had managed to unsettle me, a feeling I despise. Additionally, I had expected to be led to a small, austere conference room and not into this cozy room with a fireplace and two comfortable loveseats facing each other. When the Angel of Death didn’t say anything more, I couldn’t help saying, “Too early is almost as bad as too late, and I apologize for this.”

They dismissed my apology with a wave with their hand and smiled. “Please take a seat.”

It had been a long time since I last saw the Angel of Death. They hadn’t changed much. Dark cloak, face half hidden by its hood. “Do you remember when we met first, Marcellus?”

I gritted my teeth. “I will never forget the day I lost my wife and son.”

“Even after you fought for their lives and lost and they died in your arms, you tried to save a child. You died carrying a slave’s daughter outside of the burning building. That was why I couldn’t let your soul go on to the afterlife without asking you to become a Guardian. You became a formidable angel, and now you are their Commander.”

“An eternal life spent trying to protect other humans from the kind of fate my beloved wife and child suffered.” I wanted to ask where their Guardian Angel had been, but I knew Azrael didn’t have the answer. Only the Powers higher up knew, and they never answered such questions. Not from humans and not from angels.

Azrael nodded gravely and pushed their hood back. It was the first time I saw their dark eyes close enough to discern their compassion and sadness. “Now let me ask you a question: What does a Guardian angel fear most?”

“To lose their charge prematurely.”

“And even worse?”

I didn’t have to think about the answer. “When a child dies, and it didn’t have enough time on Earth to make an impact.”

“Would you agree with me it takes a special angel to accompany and soothe a young frightened spirit and give it to me, so I can guide them along?”

“Yes, they have to be empathetic and calm to not scare the child even more.”

“You trained all your angels well, Ariel. They do their best, but one angel is remarkably gentle.”

“Who are you talking about?”

“Diego Fuentes. The two times he has handed me a human spirit, they were unusually calm. The first one was an old man at the end of a long life, so I didn’t think much of it. But the second time it was little boy, and his spirit was serene, even hopeful as if he knew his journey wasn’t finished.”

”Didn’t you recommend him specifically for Guardian duty when he died together with his brother?”

“You have a good memory.”

I shrugged. Finding new Guardian Angels wasn’t easy, and any help identifying potential candidates was welcome. Even Azrael’s. We added between five and ten angels every year, which was barely enough to keep up with the demand for guardians. When would humans learn to curb their excessive breeding and take better care of their world?

“Diego is becoming one of my best Guardians, but his brother Sablo is a rebel. However, they both take their duty seriously. So thank you for sending them along to Guardian Central.”

“You’re welcome. Now I would like you to do me a favor in return and assign Diego to SCP duty.”

I suppressed a shudder. Special Child Protection missions were hard on Guardians since SCP children had a high likelihood of dying no matter what their companion angel did.

“I normally spread them out, to lessen the burden.”

“Which is fine for your Guardians, but not optimal for the children. They need someone extraordinary.”

“I’ll need to take this up with—”

Azrael held one hand up to interrupt me, and with the other hand the Angel of Death pulled out a sheet of paper and handed it over.

I took the seal-embossed form, and as expected, it was an authorization from the Powers to assign Diego to special missions as requested by Death. I bit back a curse and stood up.

“As you wish, Lord Azrael.” I made no effort to prevent the ice creeping into my tone of voice.

“Thank you, Lord Ariel.” The words came out with a sigh while they replaced their hood.

In the next moment, Azrael was gone, and I hurried from the room to the elevator so I could get back down to GC. I still needed to decide how to tell Guardian Diego about his new duty. Maybe it would be easier for everyone if he didn’t know? I could make sure he had some easier missions in between the SCP jobs. After all, there were rarely more than a couple of SPC jobs per year.

“Why the fuck did I ever agree to become a Guardian, let alone Commander?”

But I knew why. Flexing my scarred hands inside the black gloves, I swore again never to be remiss in my duty to protect the innocent from danger. In spite of the loneliness which haunted my loveless heart.

We had to do it again! @Timothy M.  We're a great team!
Thank you @Valkyrie for editing and beta-reading. :hug:
Copyright © 2019 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

ou and Tim do make a great team

Thank you! Ariel needed someone in his corner. ;)

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

This prequel makes some of the story that follows clearer; it illuminates well. Thank you. I like it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

This prequel makes some of the story that follows clearer; it illuminates well. Thank you. I like it.

I'm glad you feel this way. Thank you for your comment, Parker!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It wasn’t the right decision, but now we know why Ariel decided not to tell Diego about his new assignment. It would have been better to explain the rationale behind the change. But many men are less adept at these sorts of subtleties than most women (because of cultural expectations?).
;–)

Link to comment
58 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

It wasn’t the right decision,

I agree with you.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Excellent prequel, Adi and Tim. Marcellus is a tragic figure, and you touched me deeply with a few words. Is it possible we will hear more from him? I wouldn't mind that at all. :)  He has a tough job, but so does Azreal. We see how involved they are in overseeing death. Well done... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Marcellus is a tragic figure, and you touched me deeply with a few words. Is it possible we will hear more from him? I wouldn't mind that at all. :)  He has a tough job, but so does Azreal.

Didn’t we see Ariel getting shot by one of the special arrows? I remember two people glaring at the Cupid before they got distracted by each other. (Or am I getting characters confused again?)
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

Didn’t we see Ariel getting shot by one of the special arrows? I remember two people glaring at the Cupid before they got distracted by each other. (Or am I getting characters confused again?)
;–)

This is a prequel ... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, dughlas said:

This is a prequel ... 

So you’re confirming that @Headstall will get his wish if he reads the story in chronological order rather than their posting order?
;–)

Link to comment
9 hours ago, dughlas said:

This explains so much ... Thank you both for gifting it to us.

Thank you for your comment, dughlas. And thank you @comicfan for inspiring this. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Knowing the pain from great loss is perhaps necessary to do that sort of work well. Still, it's a kind of growth no one desires... 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Knowing the pain from great loss is perhaps necessary to do that sort of work well. Still, it's a kind of growth no one desires... 

That would be insane. Thank you, for your comment.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, aditus said:

Thank you for your comment, dughlas. And thank you @comicfan for inspiring this. 

No, thank you both for using this prompt to enrich the world you've created.  This was simply beautiful and answers some very important points. Nicely done gentlemen. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..