Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 171 Words
  • 1,097 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prickly Prompts - 6. #774 Me and I

It has been a long week and . You spot this nice restaurant as you go home and decide to give it a shot. As you walk in the door the loud noise in the place becomes suddenly silent. You pause as you fear the place might be in the midst of a robbery. You notice everyone shooting glances at you and then toward the back of the place. Wondering what could be going on you follow their glances and find … yourself? Only your doppelganger seems completely different somehow. What happens when you meet?

I watch the huge, golden ‘thirty’ balloon bob up and down under the ceiling, following the hostess to my table. What a coincidence! Here I am treating myself to a nice lonesome meal, and there is another birthday party going on, much better attended than mine will ever be, mind you. As we get closer, I can see everyone staring at me. My hand shoots to my throat, adjusting the knot of my suddenly too-tight tie. Beads of sweat are running down my back. A guy wearing a green shirt steps aside just when we pass the table, and my gaze falls on familiar curly brown hair. I know the reason for the small scar bisecting the left eyebrow. Bicycle accident, and— Mum’s pearls. A tentative smile greets me. And all of a sudden I have my arms full of me, and I can see myself mirrored in my eyes as the scent of Jil Sander’s ‘Sun’ envelops me, and she whispers, “I’m so glad you came out today.”

Thank you @comicfan for providing this prompt, it took me a while to find the right spin.
:thankyou: @Valkyrie for the edits and comments. :hug:
Any comment or reaction are appreciated. Thank you for reading!
Copyright © 2019 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I love this twist on the typical doppelganger.  Who says our doppelganger is of the same gender?  Interesting little snippet :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I had to pause at "she whispers" thinking I misunderstood the protaganist's gender. I like that they are the same and yet not. That is a nice twist. Now as to why he is planning to celebrate alone ...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I guess I’m not awake enough to have understood what was going on! How ironic after all those Comments I’ve made wondering (intentionally provocatively) if a character is Trans. I’m glad others understood and explained it to me before I said something dumber than usual.
;–)

I remember Heinlein had a protagonist who had two clones created who were younger, twin female versions of him – and all three had flaming red hair!
;–)

Link to comment

You always have some interesting twists in your stories.  Nice little piece. When can we get more? Lol

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, dughlas said:

I like that they are the same and yet not.

Ooh! You said this perfectly. :hug:

  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, comicfan said:

You always have some interesting twists in your stories.  Nice little piece. When can we get more? Lol

Thank you! When can we get more? Just keep the prompts coming

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I love this twist on the typical doppelganger.  Who says our doppelganger is of the same gender?  Interesting little snippet :) 

Thank you, Val!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

before I said something dumber than usual

You just say what you think and I do the same. :hug:

  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Oh, and I should have noticed the title of the story!
;–)

:gikkle:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, aditus said:

Thank you! When can we get more? Just keep the prompts coming

That's my job. Two a week. I just never know when one will click wirh an author. Glad you've found a few that inspired you. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I was like... Wait?... What?... Oh! Twin sister! Nice, Adi. I wondered at the possibility she was his 'trans' twin, but either way, brilliant. :)  Cheers... Gary....

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 8/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, droughtquake said:

I guess I’m not awake enough to have understood what was going on! How ironic after all those Comments I’ve made wondering (intentionally provocatively) if a character is Trans. I’m glad others understood and explained it to me before I said something dumber than usual.
;–)

I remember Heinlein had a protagonist who had two clones created who were younger, twin female versions of him – and all three had flaming red hair!
;–)

Oh, Trans occurred to me right away too, drought, so we can be dumb and dumber together. :P 

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Headstall said:

we can be dumb and dumber together.

Hey! No one is dumb here. You see what you see and I'm happy you read  my little story. Thank you for reading and commenting, Gary. :hug:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..