Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,232 Words
  • 453 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rocky Prompts, Tennessee - 10. PT Prompt #59: It's a Cake!

A sequel to a previous prompt response, Eggsplosion! Check it out here: https://gayauthors.org/story/astone2292/rocky-prompts-tennessee/8
PT Prompt #59: The protagonist of your story finds a beautiful cake on their doorstep, without a card or any hint who gave it to them. Help them to unravel the secret.

“C’mon,” whined Andy, “it’ll get you out of the house.”

I rolled my eyes. Sometimes I wondered if my fiance ever realized being a big, burly man inhibited him from giving me puppy-dog eyes. Then again, when his hands landed on my hips, he usually got his way. “I guess. But I’m paying.”

“But we have the same ba—”

Prodding my finger against his lips, I tisk, “Don’t blow it.”

We dressed for a nice Sunday breakfast, but I took my time gathering my keys and wallet. I liked my new home. A little too much, that is. Everything was in its proper place. “Just the way I like it,” I mumbled under my breath. As I reached the door, I took one more look. A shiver ran down my spine. No… Nothing’s going to happen.

The car started. “Tony! Better hurry before we have to wait for a table. If the Harrolds family gets there before us, we’re better off grabbing McDonald’s.”

Sighing, I walk through and close the door behind me. The last thing I want right now is a McMuffin sludge sandwich. In the car, Andy rubbed my thigh. “You’re doing great, babe. Dr. Wen said you should get out more often.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I instantly regret my dismissal of him. Interlocking my fingers in his, I mutter, “I’m sorry. It’s… It’s just a lot for me.”

“I know, but we’re a team. You’re my partner in crime.”

“Are you going rogue, officer?”

Andy growled and leaned over. “Only with you.”

His love is infectious. We briefly kiss before backing out of the driveway. Time flew, and we finished breakfast at Julie’s. Slapping my card down with authority, Andy playfully waved his hands and made a face. He has always been my dork.

Arriving home, Andy pointed at the door. “What’s that?”

I look, and see what he spotted. Getting out, we escalated the stairs and found a cake. It was a simple, one-layer cake. Shaped in a circle with a white base, there were many colors coating the sides. Written in child-like handwriting, it said, “Happy Pride, Neybors!”

“Aww. It looks like little Nina made it.”

From Andy’s guess, I turn around to the Richardson household. None of the three cars were on the lot. Not even their teenage son’s beater. “Andy…”

He joined me, and I caught the frown. He compensated by rubbing my shoulder. “They might’ve dropped it off before going somewhere.”

“All three of their vehicles though?”

“One might be in the garage.”

“Andy, there’s no other kids on this street—”

His cell phone rang. The James Bond theme song from Dr. No blared obnoxiously before he answered, “Hello? I-I’m sorry, you got the wrong number… Any time.”

As he slipped the device into his pocket, mine went off. My feet felt like quicksand, for what I saw on the caller ID made no sense. “Nina Richardson…”

Andy lurched over my shoulder. “She’s four. That’s impossible.”

Biting the inside of my cheek, I answered the phone with a trembling hand. “H-hello?”

“Hello again, Mr. Miller.”

I clench my eyelids. My knees lost all power, and Andy managed to catch me before I hit the concrete porch. It was him again.

The Bun.

Last Easter. Bombs. Explosion. House on fire. Everything flooded back to me. All the mental progress I made… Gone.

“Wh…” As hard as I tried, I could not create words. The terrorist that haunted my every nightmare over the last year was back, and I could react. What was he planning? Who the fuck was I kidding… What did he plan? Wheels were most likely in motion.

The man’s laugh could make a dead man’s skin crawl. “Tell Andy I said hi. I misspoke when I asked for Betsy Hilgenhold.”

My childhood babysitter. Not even Andy knew about the sweet lady, so how the hell did this sick fuck?

“Cat got your tongue, Anthony?” asked the Bun. His tone was as deep and conniving as it was before. “Don’t you fret. I have no need for that Catholic bag of bones.”

“Why? Why now?”

“Why the cake? It’s simple. Happy Pride Month, to my favorite couple.”

I scrambled. Grabbing Andy’s hand, I pulled as I ran. “Go!” Both of us dove on the lawn, unsure if history would repeat itself.

When nothing happened, I fumbled forward and clutched my phone. I was seething. “Listen, you son of a bitch. They’ll find—”

“You mean the local police office?” The voice grew serious, implying the man was either threatened, or annoyed. “The Fumbling Bureau of Investigation? They can’t even figure out how I keep tying their shoelaces together. You think they’ll find me because of a fucking cake? Have I not shown you I intend to make peace?”

“That’s not a cake.”

Silence. The call was still in progress. I couldn’t focus on anything else until I heard the man’s voice.

The Bun chuckled. “A healthy assumption. I’m going to guess you haven’t taken a lick of the icing? No, probably not. There would be screams in the background if you or Andy did.”

Bile churned in my stomach. It was a trap. “Wh-what do you mean?”

“I whipped up that icing with you in mind, Anthony. It has vanilla, shreds of coconut, and a heaping amount of hydrochloric acid. Took me a while to get the recipe right, but I did it. Just like my mother used to make. She would be so proud.”

I look at Andy, who’s already on the phone, presumably to the authorities. Maybe they can trace my call. Keep stalling then. “Why now? Before, I lied about working on Easter. What did I do now?”

“Oh, you think I’m that petty? To hold a grudge for your misbehavior? My dear Anthony, I’ve forgiven you for lying about working on my special day. I merely gave you this cake as a form of treaty, if you will. A peace offering. A means to an end.”

“You’re… You’re done?”

“With you and dear Andy.”

The familiar two beeps echoed in my ears. He was gone. Was he coming back? Staring at Andy, I let the phone fall from my grasp.

Andy murmured into his, “Call ended. Did we get… Damn it!” He chucked the black rectangle into the street.

I scooted into his arms and whispered, “The cake’s coated in acid. Can’t let anyone touch it.”

His breath landed behind my ear. “Is that all?”

“As far as I know.”

“Bomb squad’s on the way.”

“Insurance probably won’t cover a second explosion.”

It wasn’t meant to be funny, but we both shared a laugh before deciding to create more distance between us and the deadly dessert. That bothered me. Was there an unspoken psychological tendency of normality after dealing with the same bomber more than once? Why were we laughing? Should we be laughing? Will we think the next bomb’s a joke?

Hopefully not. “I think we should go to our session with Dr. Wen in the morning.”

Andy snorted, then held my back as we walked to the curb. Sirens were nearing. “We’ll go see her every day if that’s what we need. I just have one favor to ask.”

“Yeah?”

He smirked. “Gotta notify the neighbors and evacuate them. Mind coming with me to tell Lena May? She’ll probably need a bigger army helmet.”

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
  • Wow 10
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, Gary L said:

Ace reaction to the prompt.  Reading this before turning off the light wasn’t a good idea 😱😱😱

Let's be thankful The Bun didn't pull this stunt at Anthony and Andy's wedding...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Let's see what we have here...a yoker with eggs, baking a poisonous cake...does The Bun have a reoccuring yeast infection???

An eggsemplary continuation!!!

I should have seen an egg joke coming. Eggcellent comment, doc! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Aditus said:

No food related prompts  anymore, got it! :unsure:

Nah, keep them coming. Just no carrots please. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Nah, keep them coming. Just no carrots please. 

Is there such a thing as the Swiss Army Knife of vegetables???

cucumber GIF

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Is there such a thing as the Swiss Army Knife of vegetables???

cucumber GIF

the lord of the rings actor GIF

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

The Bun is back!!!  Absolutely loved this one too!!!  The evil one is back and at it again, ready to terrorize the couple...  Great continuation! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

The Bun is back!!!  Absolutely loved this one too!!!  The evil one is back and at it again, ready to terrorize the couple...  Great continuation! 

Ah, but will he terrorize again?

Only the prompts will tell. 

Thanks for reading, Patch!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

@Valkyrie is right, isn’t she? The Bun will be back.

Seriously, though, I don’t think I’m going to be able to look at the Easter Bunny without thing of his maniacal dark side. 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

@Valkyrie is right, isn’t she? The Bun will be back.

Seriously, though, I don’t think I’m going to be able to look at the Easter Bunny without thing of his maniacal dark side. 

Beware the man in the suit for the Easter kid photos at the shopping mall... It could be The Bun...

  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, astone2292 said:

the lord of the rings actor GIF

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. 

This is true...but can you take 'em to bed with you???

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
15 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Beware the man in the suit for the Easter kid photos at the shopping mall... It could be The Bun...

This popped into my head a while later:

Who knew the Easter Bunny could hold a grudge? :o

Not me, that’s for sure. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

This is true...but can you take 'em to bed with you???

I mean, you can if you want to, but I wouldn't go around announcing it. That's quite a kink to be into...

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..