Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Children of the Dust - 3. The Orphanage

The country known as Vietnam in the twenty-first century, was colonized by the French in the eighteen hundreds, occupied by the Japanese during World War Two, and partitioned―by agreement of the super powers―at the beginning of the Cold War. Each event engendered armed conflict, with suffering by the Vietnamese people the primary outcome. Millions of them died, were injured, lost family and homes, went hungry, and suffered at the hands of both their oppressors and their so called protectors.

When American GIs were sent to South Vietnam in the sixties, they followed in the tradition established by their French predecessors, and openly fraternized with the natives of the country. Women, young girls, and often young men, provided them with a sexual outlet. It was mostly consensual, often paid for, but occasionally forced. The leftovers of these actions were a multitude of children, straddling two worlds, but belonging to neither. Most of them never knew who fathered them; often they didn’t know who their mothers were either. They were frequently abandoned in hospitals or at the gates of orphanages; some were tossed into garbage cans.

In the midst of the misery brought by constant war, the Sisters of the Order of the Infant Jesus of Prague, attempted to offer hope to some of the children of the dust. That is how Vietnamese society dismissed the Amerasian boys and girls the sisters offered succor to at the Child of Saigon Orphanage.

No one knows how many of them were born—and ultimately left behind in Vietnam—during the time the United States stationed armed forces in the country. A large number of births of children resulting from liaisons with foreigners went unregistered. A lucky few were kept off the streets and in the classrooms, away from the violence of gangs, from peddling drugs, or from selling themselves. Those lucky ones were the ones who, somehow, found their way to an orphanage such as Child of Saigon.

I was one of the lucky ones. In nineteen sixty-three I was left at the door of the orphanage, swaddled in what I now know was a Tropical Combat Neckerchief. The note left pinned to the olive green piece of cotton fabric I was wrapped in, claimed my father was a US Marine. It said I was named Vincent Samuel Blake, Jr.

C. A. Hazday
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..