Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Children of the Dust - 5. The Search

I grew up in an affluent Sydney suburb, went to a private school, and eventually had two brothers and two sisters. The man who’d brought me out of Vietnam married shortly after his return to Australia―offspring soon followed.

You could say I led a sheltered life for the next half-dozen years. Because of the environment, I was spared much of the teasing and name calling children of mixed races often had heaped upon them. I was an Australian just as much as my siblings. My features revealed my heritage, but I wasn’t openly being called gook, slanteye, or Charley, as many of the Amerasians were in the countries in which they settled.

The plight of those who remained behind was much harsher. The Vietnamese government considered them an unwanted element, possibly subversive. Other children, and adults, treated them as sub-humans because of their features. Mothers rejected many because they were a reminder of what they had done during the war. There were no extended families willing to provide shelter and comfort. Poverty was rampant in Vietnam in the years following the war; Amerasians supposedly suffered the most.

My Vietnamese roots were never of interest to me. Being part of Operation Babylift was but a minuscule part of my life. I knew my mother had abandoned me at the door of the orphanage. Searching for her, as was sometimes suggested by others, would have been like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. For better or worse she’d made a decision which she must have felt was the right one at the time.

Thoughts of my father, however, were always in the back of my mind. My Australian parents had decided I should keep my name when they adopted me. They felt a change as a teenager might add to the chaos in my life. There was never any question I was adopted, hell all you had to do was look and my features and you’d realize I wasn’t a blood relative of my blonde brothers and sisters. So I was part of that loving family, but I was an outsider at the same time.

Dreams of my father began to frequently plague my sleep around the time I started year twelve. On the cusp of adulthood, a desire to find my biological father―the man who’s name I carried― became almost an obsession. My adoptive father, using his skills and resources as a reporter, supported and aided my search.

C. A. Hazday
  • Like 10
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can relate to these kids on some level... being less than the rest, outcast. So sad to blame children for the mistakes of their parents.

 

tim

  • Love 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, mansexlover said:

A very sad state of affairs indeed. He still hasn't opened his letter?

The letter will be discussed in an upcoming chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..