Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Children of the Dust - 4. The Fall of Saigon

I was twelve years old when I was handed an envelope by one of the nuns at the orphanage in which I lived. It was addressed to My New Vietnam Friend from Drew in Oakland. I knew I was supposed to read the letter inside and write one back, but at the time I had more interesting things to do. I stuck it in my pocket and went out into the city.

In January of that year, the North Vietnamese Army began a military campaign aiming to reunite their country after decades of separation and strife. Without the help of American forces, which had left after the Paris Peace Accords, the South Vietnamese were unable to stop the communist onslaught. They overran the central highlands and several coastal cities. Saigon, the capital of South Vietnam, fell on the last day of April of nineteen seventy-five, when forces of the North Vietnamese Army invaded the city, and captured the presidential palace.

The previous year, an Australian journalist had written an article about Child of Saigon Orphanage. He interviewed and photographed me for it; subsequently keeping in touch. He would drop by about once every other month, bring a couple of bags of groceries to the nuns, spend a little time with me, and leave some pocket change behind when he departed.

One day in the first week of April, a group of men and women showed up at the orphanage, my reporter amongst them. The nuns gathered all the children, explained we were about to get on an airplane, and fly to a place where we would be safe. Being older, I was handed an infant to look after, and loaded into a military truck. We were part of Operation Babylift, which saw thousands of children evacuated from Saigon to the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia.

While he chronicled the departure from Vietnam, and the arrival in Australia, I stuck by the side of my reporter. At the airport, soldiers, nurses, and volunteers flocked to the new arrivals, hugging us, comforting those who were crying, and wrapping the infants in clean blankets. The baby I had cradled through the entire flight was taken from me by a young couple, who thanked me profusely for looking after the little girl. I was told they’d responded to a notification in the newspaper, and offered to adopt one of the children from the orphanage. No one came for me.

Hours later, when I was completely exhausted, my friend put his arm around my shoulders and asked if I was ready to go home. I was certain he meant back to Vietnam, back to Saigon. I was wrong. He’d made arrangements to keep me for himself.

C. A. Hazday
  • Like 10
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I loved that last bit at the end the end about Vincent's going home not being back to Saigon but going home (as his son) to Australia with the reporter. Unlike many people who only want to adopt babies or young children, the reporter saw the value in adopting the older child.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 01:25 PM, Reader1810 said:

I loved that last bit at the end the end about Vincent's going home not being back to Saigon but going home (as his son) to Australia with the reporter. Unlike many people who only want to adopt babies or young children, the reporter saw the value in adopting the older child.

If I had ever had the chance to adopt a child I'm not sure I'd selected a baby. Seems much easier to adopt one who's potty trained already. The teen problems one would have to deal with either way.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

We've talked about fostering some street kids.. we don't want kids of our own. There are two many now that need parents.
The last line sounded ominious to me... but its likely just me.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..