Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Children of the Dust - Prologue. Prologue

Prompt 422 The Gift

Vince is Vietnamese. But he’s also an Aussie. And he’s most definitely as American as apple pie. Confused? Yeah, me too, but only at first. After my mother called me, to let me know she had a small FedEx package for me, later it all made sense. The envelope was addressed to me, Andrew Gable; sent to my parents’ house in Oakland, by a Vincent Blake in San Francisco. That was just across the bay from my hometown. Why would somebody use FedEx to send something such a short distance? I had no idea who this Blake guy was, or why someone in San Francisco would be sending a package to me, at my parent’s home.

I asked Mom to open it and tell me what was inside. She refused. It was addressed to me and I should be the one to open it. Fine, if that’s how she felt then she should just forward it to my place in Los Angeles. Once again, she refused. The sender had used a shipping company instead of regular mail, and had it insured. It must be something valuable. She wasn’t about to tempt fate again by sending it all the way down to LA. What if it got lost? She would never forgive herself.

Slow me, I finally caught on to her game. She was using the damn thing, and the mystery surrounding it, to blackmail me into riding the train up for a visit. I didn’t get back home as often as she’d like; the shooting schedule kept me busy. Rarely did I have more than a day or two off in a row. But with the show’s star leaving town to fly around the country promoting her upcoming movie, we had a two week break the following month. I promised to come see her then.

When I eventually opened the package, its contents would end up taking me back in time some fifteen years, and lead to a lifetime of good times with the man who sent it.

C. A. Hazday
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Okay,so I'm slow too. I thought the mom was being rather mean refusing to forward the package. She wasn't being mean, just sneaky.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 04:26 AM, Reader1810 said:

Okay,so I'm slow too. I thought the mom was being rather mean refusing to forward the package. She wasn't being mean, just sneaky.

LMAO!

 

I just channeled what my mother would do if I didn't visit either!

 

Thanks for the review, let me know what you think of the rest of the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 08:12 PM, Bucket1 said:

Ok tell me more, a blackmailing mother is always a good start to a story :*)

LOL

 

Figures you'd zero in on that little point! You and I are probably long lost brothers considering how alike our thinking seems to be. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/24/2015 01:59 PM, thecalimack said:

This feels like my own mother.

I think almost every mother in the world is the same! :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..