Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Children of the Dust - 1. The Summer of Seventy-Four

The summer of seventy-four stands out in my mind because of baseball. Major League Baseball to be precise. Dad had taken me to watch the A’s play at the Oakland Coliseum, the moment mom would trust him to be alone with me. She hated the game and would rarely go to one. In nineteen seventy-two and nineteen seventy-three, the A’s won the World Series. The fans flocked to the stadium the year following each win. Dad and I were amongst them.

I attended my first Oakland A’s game while I was still wearing diapers; I had my first baseball glove soon after I stopped wearing them. Once those were gone, and I was able to hold a bat in my tiny hands, I was playing T-Ball. If my father pushed me into baseball at an early age, I soon turned the tables on him, and I was the one pushing him. Forget the comics; I wanted the sports page so I could scrutinize the box scores for the previous day’s games. I monopolized the TV to watch games and pestered any adult I came in contact with about the game. I was obsessed with the national pastime.

As an eight year old fan, my heroes were Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, and Rollie Fingers. My hitting was okay. I’d never be a Jackson, but I could pitch. Boy could I pitch. The heat was with me at an early age. I could throw a fastball, and eventually a curve and a slider. I was always ready to play, always asking the coach to put me in.

During the nineteen seventy-four season, I’d drag my father out to the stadium early, so I could watch batting practice, and try to get players’ autographs. Reggie was Mr. October in Oakland, before his years in Yankees pinstripes made the nickname known all over the land. Catfish won the Cy Young Award for the American League that year, after winning twenty-five games. Fingers’ handlebar mustache is most likely the cause of my fascination with facial hair, even if I’ve never been able to grow one myself. I collected their autographs, and those of many of the other players, on baseballs and multiple baseball cards.

The A’s won their third consecutive World Series championship that October, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games. I was in the stands for the three games played in Northern California.

C. A. Hazday
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

It's amazing how what happens in our past can have a signicant impact on our future.
The baseball cards that Drew collected when he was young played an important role later in his life as they became proof positive of his earlier connection to Vincent Samuel Blake, Jr. If those cards didn't exist then he might not have believed Vincent and both of their lives would have been different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/08/2015 07:11 AM, Reader1810 said:

It's amazing how what happens in our past can have a signicant impact on our future.

The baseball cards that Drew collected when he was young played an important role later in his life as they became proof positive of his earlier connection to Vincent Samuel Blake, Jr. If those cards didn't exist then he might not have believed Vincent and both of their lives would have been different.

The older I get, the clearer it becomes to me each action we take has repercussions for the rest of our lives.

 

Drew sending out some baseball cards, which probably meant a lot to him,gained him a friend for life who he'll probably share grandchildren with.

 

Thanks for reading, and THANKS for the comments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..