Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 968 Words
  • 5,708 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Buried Treasure - 4. Part 4

I woke with a start, my senses telling me I wasn’t alone in bed. I slammed my shields up trying to remember what had happened the night before.

“You know it’s not nice to have the mental equivalent of the door slammed in your face this early in the morning!” Craig stated fairly calmly from the other side of the bed.

I started to remember parts of the previous day, I remembered the child dying and racing home. I remembered pushing Craig out the way and falling onto the bathroom floor. I thought I remembered Craig stripping me, feeding me pills, putting me to bed and holding me till I passed out.

I did a mental check and found I was in much better shape than I should have been. I should have still been passed out and I should have woken with the symptoms of a very bad hangover.

I finally turned over to face Craig; he was lying on his back and had obviously had trouble getting on the bed as his chair was tipped on its side on the floor.

“Morning,” I said quietly, because although it wasn’t as bad as it should have been, I still had a dull headache.

Craig must have seen I was in pain but instead of saying anything he laid his hand on my face. I instantly felt my headache reduce even more till I could barely feel it at all.

I stared at him in astonishment; the only people I knew who could do what he had just done were psychic healers.

“How did you do that?” I asked.

“I’m a psychic healer, remember?” Craig answered with a frown, “I healed you as much as I could over night, but you were in a lot of pain and the best I could do was keep you asleep.”

“When did you become a healer?” I asked, what did he mean by ‘remember’?

“I wrote to you from University last year, my ability was slow developing, so it didn’t manifest itself till I was nineteen.”

“I didn’t get a letter about any healing ability.”

“I wrote so many letters how on earth could you remember one specifically? Maybe you just forgot I told you?”

I looked at him a while before making a decision. I left the room and returned a few minutes later with a package that I handed to him.

Craig looked at what I had given him; it was a pile of letters, tied up with string. He opened them and his eyes went wide at what he saw. “This look like every letter I have ever written you. You kept them?” His gaze met mine and his eyes had tears in them.

“You are my best friend and the only one who accepts me as I am without questioning me all the time. No one else likes it that I keep my shields up all the time, no one else understands my need to be left alone at times. When you were at university it was the longest we’d been apart. So when I got a letter it was like you were here with me.” I realized I was babbling and quickly shut up, I hadn’t meant to say that much but by the look on Craig’s face he didn’t mind.

“I didn’t ask any questions about why you kept your shields up because I figured when you were ready to trust me, you would tell me. I got used to reading your expressions instead, I can tell when you’re lying, happy, sad or annoyed.”

I looked at him in surprise, “I’ve always trusted you and if you had asked, you are the one person I would have told without hesitation.” I leant back on the bed and tried to get comfortable.

“As you know my father was killed when I was five, well my abilities surfaced soon after that. My mom found a mentor, named Mark, who lived near us by going to the council and asking their advice. To protect me from questions at school it was put out that I had a private tutor to help me with some advanced school work.

“As Mark worked with me my abilities grew very quickly. First I was only able to search for people who I knew and who were conscious. Then it expanded to include people I didn’t know. It was quite by accident we found out, I could find unconscious people. You remember that neighbor’s kid that went missing?” I waited for Craig to nod, “Everyone was told she lost consciousness after I found her, but the truth was she was already unconscious, but I knew exactly where to look for her.

“The last abilities to make themselves known were telekinesis and the worst one, the ability to hurt someone mentally if I wanted to or if they made me angry enough that I lost control.”

When I had finished my brief story, Craig was staring at me but with my shields up I couldn’t tell what he was feeling.

He must have seen something on my face because he reached to lay a hand on my face, “Trust me,” he whispered “drop your shields… at least partially.”

I looked into his eyes and I dropped my surface shields but made sure any romantic feelings I had for him were buried deep under a second shield. As I started to feel his emotions, I found he felt sympathy for me and gratitude that I assumed was for sharing my story. I caught a flash of another emotion but it was gone so quick I didn’t have time to name it.

Then I realized Craig was leaning towards me, he looked like he was going to kiss me. But he wouldn’t, would he???

Prompts used: "Trust me"
Copyright © 2015 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

thanks for taking the time to write this story ......i think im gonna like this story...i love how this is unfolding

 

Bob

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 09:56 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for taking the time to write this story ......i think im gonna like this story...i love how this is unfolding

 

Bob

Thanks. Even I don't know whats going to happen, I'm letting the story unfold on it's own.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/11/2014 06:06 PM, Morgana_lefay said:
thank you for sharing this story. I like what I read so far and can't wait to see what will happen next :)
Thanks. Just writing this weeks chapter. :-)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yes he would kiss him and you stopped before he did :P Now I have to see what is going to happen next :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/13/2014 11:35 PM, joann414 said:
Yes he would kiss him and you stopped before he did :P Now I have to see what is going to happen next :D
We'll just have to wait and see where the story takes its self.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This story has a very good feel to it but I am curious as to why He didn't remember Craig telling him about his healing abilities if he kept every letter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/09/2015 04:02 PM, Headstall said:
This story has a very good feel to it but I am curious as to why He didn't remember Craig telling him about his healing abilities if he kept every letter.

You'll have to wait and see ;)

 

:hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

As you knew me, I like short stories of your's. But this, one twist on every chapter ending making me both tempered and tempted. I think I don't have to say I am connected to the story, as you already know that. And to continue the journey, moving on to next very fast. Yeah, it's the KISS...

 

~Emi. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 6/2/2017 at 8:04 PM, Emi GS said:

As you knew me, I like short stories of your's. But this, one twist on every chapter ending making me both tempered and tempted. I think I don't have to say I am connected to the story, as you already know that. And to continue the journey, moving on to next very fast. Yeah, it's the KISS...

 

~Emi. 

 

Is there a kiss, or isn't there? ;) You'll have to get to the next chapter to find out. :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/10/2017 at 1:30 AM, Timothy M. said:

oho, seems they are both keeping their feelings under wraps. 

 

No one wants to be the first one to put themselves out there in a vulnerable position. We'll have to wait and see you will grab their courage first :) 

 

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment :hug:

 

Edited by Caz Pedroso
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..