Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 2,009 Words
  • 7,224 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Spring - A Night To Remember Entry

Bonds Unbroken - 3. Chapter 3

Every day that week I threw myself into my training. But no matter how hard I worked the nightmares continued to grow. I couldn’t see or hear anything in the dreams but now all they were was pain. Constantly punishing, never-ending pain was pierced by moments of agony so intense that it stopped my breath. Worse, the emotions were consuming me, terror, resignation, and hatred surged inside me. I felt those emotions after my father's death of course but these were so intense, so vividly real they felt more acute than what I experienced awake.

Every night I woke up writhing on my bed, gasping and crying. I longed for my father, for the comfort of his arms and his wings. I tried desperately to remember what he taught me, that the dreams were not real but they were so vivid that I had trouble getting them out of my mind. It was getting to the point that I couldn't sleep more than an hour at a time.

The lack of sleep was beginning to take its toll on my mind and my body. I couldn't figure out why I had these dreams and why they kept getting worse as I got older, instead of better. I desperately needed a good night’s sleep but that wasn't possible. In the end I did what I had to do, I went on with my life and endured.

My best friend in the clan, Alseliol, brought my work from school. I was so close to graduating that I couldn't afford to fall behind. Alseliol was a few years older, but still a fledgling. He hadn’t met his mate yet. He stayed to let me borrow his notes from class while I studied and I kept catching him staring at my wings.

What?” I asked.

"Did . . . did that hurt?" he asked, nodding at my wings.

I didn't like to talk about them. I pretended not to notice but I saw the glances and heard the whispers every time I left the house. The fledglings I understood; it was pure curiosity and wonder on their part. I knew how fascinating it was to see someone who had newly got their wings while they still waited. The youths tended to be very welcoming, including me in their training though I had no partner to share it with. It was the adults that I minded the most. The whispers about my strangeness and the coloring of my wings coupled with the sidelong looks inflamed my already volatile temper.

I’d be glad when my body leveled out and finished changing.

I met his eyes, looking at the innocent look in his eyes with a bit of fear. He had heard the stories everyone was whispering. Alseliol was my closest friend and I owed him, so I put down my pencil and told him what I could. I left out the dreams though, I had never told anyone about what actually happened in them. I could see the description of the pain I felt and the sudden sensation of my wings busting from my back scared him a bit.

"I don't know what it is really like when it comes down to it though, Alseliol. My wings didn't come after I found my mate like they normally do. No one knows why this happened." I looked down. I didn't want to remind him that I was a freak but I also didn't like the look of fear I saw in his eyes.

"You know what they say; the high of finding your mate is so overwhelming that you don't even notice. I don't know, maybe it feels good. The youths and the adults won't talk about it; they say it's just too private."

The fear on Alseliol's face turned to sadness. "I'm sorry this happened to you Velaku. Do you think you will have a mate someday?"

"I don't know." I had always sort of secretly hoped not, though it was my duty to the clan to have an heir to take over guardianship of the Carthera clans in our territory. I never wanted to mate with a female of our clan. They were too fragile, too small, too, well... female. Not even Alseliol knew of the crush I had on Natham. I hid it from everyone.

He had been a student at our school for all too short a time. By the energy he exuded, a sleek sinuous predatory sense I had every time I saw him, I could tell he was Carthera.

One day I was trying to pull my overfull backpack out of my locker where it was wedged. I misjudged the last big tug and when it came free with a jerk I fell backward into the strong arms of someone I could not see. I felt a deep shiver in the chest of the person holding me and I tilted my head back, strangely unwilling to pull away like I would normally have done if anyone grabbed hold of me like that.

It was Natham and his face was strangely slack, but his eyes burned into mine with intensity. His were a deep dark brown that looked almost black. His pupils were dilated as wide as they would go and his nose quivered as his mouth fell open. He took in a deep breath and exhaled sharply.

"You're a bird!" He looked shocked. I could smell him this close and finally figured out what he was.

"And you’re a cat, what of it?" I suddenly realized we were in a crowded hallway and pulled away. For an instant I felt the arms around me tighten before they let me go, and Natham took a step back. I turned and looked up at him, his tawny skin and dark eyes were complimented by the brown hair with russet highlights he had pulled into a long braid that fell down his back.

"What is your name? Your clan?" Natham demanded to know, leaning toward me with his big hands flexing as if he wanted to grab me again.

"I don't see why I should tell you that since you are being so rude. I mean, thanks for catching me but what is your problem?" I was acting indignant, trying to cover up how much I liked it when he had his arms around me.

"I . . ." he paused with a frown, "I'm sorry. I need to know your name, your clan, please."

I relented when he spoke in a quieter, backing away from the demanding tone he had used before. I saw how his hands were twisted and tugging at the hem of his t-shirt and that prompted me to speak before he tore it in his odd anxiety.

"My name is Velaku, and I am of the Falcon Clan. My father is Keserem, the leader of all the Carthera in this territory."

"My name is Natham." He didn't offer his clan and I didn't ask. I was too busy inching closer to him to see his downturned eyes. It was my turn to catch my breath when he looked up, the heat in his eyes piercing me. He licked his lips, and my breath caught.

"Will you meet me at lunch down by the spruce tree? The little one by the shop building?"

I considered for a moment. If he was into dominance games he would find me no easy prey. I was anything but weak though I had little doubt he would win in the end. Like all of the bird Carthera, I was small and slight, barely coming to the top of his shoulder. He carried within him all the grace and power of whatever cat he was, full of sleek strength and deadly capability.

I cocked my head to the side, considering him for a long moment until the bell rang, startling us from our frozen positions. I made a snap decision, prompted by a feeling I couldn’t really name.

"I'll meet you. Lunch at the spruce tree." I picked up my backpack and walked away, barely resisting the urge to look back at him.

I had met him that day for lunch and we talked the entire hour, each topic flowing smoothly into the next; at least after the first few awkward minutes while we both assessed the other. Thankfully right then neither of us was more than fledgling or young in our clans, the aggression level we carried toward outsiders and Carthera not of our clan was relatively low. We had been so engrossed in each other we completely missed the bell signaling return to class and spent two more hours getting to know each other.

We had been sitting on the grass part in the sun and part in the shade of the spruce tree. I had my back to the tree, trying to stay out of the sun with my fair skin and he was facing me. Our non-stop talking had fallen into a bit of an awkward silence after I asked him about his family. He had told me his clan, but other than the fact he was a lynx I knew nothing. I had told him all about my father and mother but the second I asked about his he shut down. His face went blank and his slanted eyes shuttered. The abrupt change from the open and happy youth to the quiet, almost frightened kid had the skin on my back tightening as I reacted instinctively to whatever had scared him.

I reached out and touched his cheek, pushing some of his hair that had escaped his braid back behind his ear. He nuzzled my wrist, a deep rumble in his chest sounding an awful lot like a purr. He looked up, his dark eyes capturing me and holding me motionless with my hand still against his face. I forgot how to breathe out when he leaned forward and his lips touched mine gently. I had let out the breath I was holding in a quiet keening noise, suddenly moving into his space and onto his lap, bring my other hand up and holding his face still as I sucked and licked at his lips and he tried to devour my tongue.

A distant bell brought students in school t-shirts and shorts onto the field for Phys Ed and broke us apart. One boy in particular was staring at us, a heavyset older student that glared balefully. When Natham saw him he blanched and then jumped up, knocking me to the ground. He rushed off, ignoring my calls for him to wait.

That had been the last time I had seen him. He hadn't come back to school and all the questions I had asked at the office were answered with 'he moved and we can't release his information to another student’. I had felt oddly bereft.

But I never forgot him. Often his eyes and his voice starred in my dreams, at least the ones that were not nightmares. The last few months since that fateful day had passed oddly slow as if I waited for something important to happen. It was like I was not quite all there, always one part of me looking or listening for something only I could sense coming.

Since the day I heard of my father's death and my wings had burst forth so suddenly, the days hadn't been nearly long enough though. Spending hours each day on the practice field, doing my schoolwork, meeting with my father's advisors and comforting my mother had me up from dawn until I passed out at night unable to stay awake any longer. I usually managed to stay awake until I heard from the daily messenger from Mishtar before falling face down on my bed only to wake up from nightmares over and over each night.

Then, on the eigth day since news of my father's death reached us, Mishtar himself returned dragging with him a pair of surly humans and an unconscious Carthera.

Copyright © 2011 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2013 - Spring - A Night To Remember Entry

Story Discussion Topic

Since there is already one thread for Bonds Unbroken, I was unsure If I should leave a comment in there or start a new one. I decided to start a new one, so shoot me   I thought the the old thread was fine for the saving of e-fiction reviews, but I wanted a living discussion thread too!   I'm so excited about the bird Carthera! I never ever thought it would be possible to get so smitten about birds, but then again everything with a predator quality appeals to me!   Well, compared to cats
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Natham sounds interesting, very interesting. I am loving him and I have a strong feeling we haven't seem the last of him/

 

You wrie very good dialogue and that is the main thing I look at in a story. It also handles emotion with delicacy and insight

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/14/2011 04:55 AM, Nephylim said:
Natham sounds interesting, very interesting. I am loving him and I have a strong feeling we haven't seem the last of him/

 

You wrie very good dialogue and that is the main thing I look at in a story. It also handles emotion with delicacy and insight

Oh no, Natham is definitely central to the story. For me, dialogue is the hard part. I really work at that part of a story. I'm glad that the attempts are paying off!
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wonder if this is going to turn out to be a Carthera version of Romeo abd Julius?

 

Can Falcons and Lynxes bond outside their own species? Or is that again an impossible question to answer at this point?

 

And those dreams... what are they telling!?!?! So many hooks in thi story :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/27/2011 04:35 AM, Marzipan said:
Wonder if this is going to turn out to be a Carthera version of Romeo abd Julius?

 

Can Falcons and Lynxes bond outside their own species? Or is that again an impossible question to answer at this point?

 

And those dreams... what are they telling!?!?! So many hooks in thi story :)

Oh yes, reoccuring nightmares, unknown bonding, plots afoot... Lots of intriguing questions for readers to try and figure out. I hope you continue to enjoy the story as you read!! Hugs for all the reviews, I really appreciate it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Natham is the lynx with the humans that killed Velaku's father, isn't he? Their probably mates as well. But if that is right, does that mean that Velaku having wings early is also related to Natham? Seems like things will start to get complicated.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/08/2011 03:22 PM, Ramon said:
Natham is the lynx with the humans that killed Velaku's father, isn't he? Their probably mates as well. But if that is right, does that mean that Velaku having wings early is also related to Natham? Seems like things will start to get complicated.
You got it right, but one step even farther when it comes to Velaku's dad. Things are complicated for the poor guys but they're muddling through. Thanks for the review!!
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

If allowed by Cia, I can see Velaku and Natham as mates.  It is unfortunate that Natham or someone in his family have something to do with the murder of Velaku's father.  That might explain Natham's quick disappearance after being discovered talking to Velaku.  I wonder if Natham is the lynx that Mishtar is dragging into Velaku's home.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..