Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 3,949 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Never More Lonely - 6. Chapter 6

"Look into my eyes." The nurse's voice is quiet but firm. Pete turns his head and looks at her. "Good morning Pete, you have some visitors," she says. "Is that okay?"

He blinks. "Sure." His voice is deep and steady.

I come to visit Pete as often as I can, but I can’t tell anyone why. I make sure I never go when his family is there though. They are part of the apostolic church and had lived through some of the most conservative times. They aren't bad people but they'd been very strict when we were growing up.

Pete was supposed to be at my place that night. I'd helped him sneak out and meet a date at the movies. His parents hadn't even allowed him to go to movies, calling it 'Sin'ema, much less date. If they'd known he was seeing a guy they would've probably had a stroke.

Instead, Pete had skidded off the road in my car before he'd ever gotten there. I was supposed to be in the car with him but I'd had a horrible cold and was coughing up a lung. I'd stayed home and stayed whole.

He’d put his head through the windshield. He’d lived in a care facility ever since.

"G'day," Pete says. "Do I know you? Are you friends with my parents?"

I wish that Owen could hold my hand but his solid warmth against my back is soothing.

"No. I'm your friend, Pete. My name's Cooper. We went to high school together."

Pete's head cocks and his eyebrows scrunch. "We did?"

It isn't one of his really good days. Sometimes he recognizes me from my last visit. It’s been a while. "Who's he?" Pete asks, pointing at Owen.

"Oh, hi." Owen shuffles his feet behind me. "I'm Owen. I'm visiting Cooper."

"From where? You have a weird accent."

Owen laughs. "To me you guys have the accents."

That makes Pete smile. "Guess so."

Walking into his room, I hold out the bag in my hand. "These are for you."

"Really?" He takes the bag from me and opens it. "Oh! Yum. These are my favorite!" He pulls out a handful of passionberries with a wide grin and pops a few in his mouth, chewing quickly. "Thanks mate! It was ace of you to bring these. Must have cost big bikkies though. It’s cold outside."

I shrug. I see Owen soundlessly echo Pete's sentence in confusion.

"A friend with a greenhouse grows them, it wasn't too bad. I got a mate's rate."

Pete finishes the berries in his hand then puts the bag down. He's watching me with those big brown eyes. His fingers trace the seam on his jeans, wiping berry stains on them. “You’re nice. Thanks.”

Nice. I shake my head.

He looks at me carefully. He bites his lip, then says, "You look sad. Because of me?"

"No." I shake my head. "It's because of me. See, I'm moving to the United States."

"You don't want to go?" Pete’s mind was broken but he wasn’t stupid. "Or are you sad because of something else?"

My eyes burn and it hurts to swallow. "I want to go, but mostly I'm sad because I won't be here anymore."

"Why?"

My breath catches. How do I explain? Admit that it is my fault he’s here? I'd come up with the plan to sneak him out on his first date. Pete's head injury, the fact that he’ll never be able to function normally, and will spend the rest of his life in a care facility—all of that is my fault. And now I wouldn't even be here to be his friend, to do what I can to make it up to him.

How in the hell do I tell him that I was abandoning him to go live a life he should've had?

Owen's hand slides down and rests on my back gently. He'd spent hours listening to me talk earlier; he knew why I felt guilty. He'd told me that deep inside I knew Pete wouldn't blame me if he knew how I felt and could understand. Spending my life alone wouldn't take away Pete's brain damage and make him whole.

"I'm going to miss coming to visit," I finally say. A few tears escape my control. "I'll miss you a lot. You’re my best friend."

Pete leans forward and pulls me into his big arms. He smells like Acqua di Parma shave gel he'd always had to have from David Jones. His voice is like a deep rumble in my ear, but I can't understand him.

I pull back. "What?"

"It’s nice of you to come and to bring me the passionberries, but," his eyes met mine, "I don't really know you."

I close my eyes briefly.

"My nurse tells me lots of things, but I don't remember." Pete points to a picture on the nightstand labeled Mom and Dad. "I don't even remember them, not really. They were here yesterday and they seemed so sad. Now you're sad too."

He runs his hand through his hair. "I don't like making people sad. Maybe moving will make you happy."

Struggling, I try to find control. I’m making Pete unhappy, the last thing I want to do. Owen's quiet but his touch helps me calm down.

"I think I will be."

A wide smile crosses Pete’s face. "Good." He yawns. "Sorry. I was up really early; the guy down the hall was upset again. I think I'm ready to take a nap."

Pete and I hug one last time. "Bye," I say quietly.

"Bye, Cooper." He looks at Owen who’s already standing by the door. "Nice to meet you."

Owen nods. "You too, Pete. Thanks for letting us visit."

I stand up, letting my friend go one last time.

Owen takes the keys from me when we get outside. He waits and when I break down he holds me.

"It's hard now but it'll be okay, Cooper. I promise."

Copyright © 2012 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That's a lot of history and emotion to pack into a small package without feeling rushed. Well done. It's nice that it can be accomplished without having to resort to endless chapters. Nice and concise and still powerful.

 

That's good storytelling. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/25/2012 12:45 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
That's a lot of history and emotion to pack into a small package without feeling rushed. Well done. It's nice that it can be accomplished without having to resort to endless chapters. Nice and concise and still powerful.

 

That's good storytelling. :)

Thanks Mann! It's actually really freaking hard to contain each week's flash piece (has to be 500-1,000 words) as a separate entity yet keep it all within the framework of the entire story. I love flash but it's more of a challenge for me than longer fiction just for that issue. I use words to paint pictures and a limit makes you consider the worth of every single one chosen. That makes it a challenge, but one I enjoy trying! Thanks for reading, and for the review, Mann.
Link to comment

Wow Cia, I'm in tears. The whole scene with Pete was heartbreaking. I guess it's better that Pete doesn't remember Cooper, otherwise he'd be even more upset that his best friend wouldn't be visiting him anymore.

 

Great job with the chapter Cia. I'm looking forward to the next one. =)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/25/2012 01:37 AM, Lisa said:
Wow Cia, I'm in tears. The whole scene with Pete was heartbreaking. I guess it's better that Pete doesn't remember Cooper, otherwise he'd be even more upset that his best friend wouldn't be visiting him anymore.

 

Great job with the chapter Cia. I'm looking forward to the next one. =)

Which is the source of Cooper's pain but also his salvation. Pete doesn't remember, so while visiting him is nice, it hurts Cooper. Would Pete want that? I didn't think so, but guilt is not an easy thing to reconcile. Pete's injury isn't Cooper's fault, imo, but he feels that it is. He's cut himself off from a lot of people because of that, but now he has Owen. Time, and Owen's love, just might be enough to overcome his feelings of responsiblity. Anyway.. I ramble, lol. Thanks so much for the review Lisa!
Link to comment

I was sitting in my garden, enjoying the sunshine and reading your lovely story....and you or rather Pete made me cry :,( Really beautiful chapter and so very sad.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/06/2014 07:32 PM, Suvitar said:
I was sitting in my garden, enjoying the sunshine and reading your lovely story....and you or rather Pete made me cry :,( Really beautiful chapter and so very sad.
Awww, I'm sorry. Not really, I mean, I love drawing emotion from readers, but yeah... not everything can be perfect. :hug:
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..