Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,034 Words
  • 4,109 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Never More Lonely - 5. Chapter 5

"What do you mean you have to go back?" My hands lower my camera from my face slowly. I'd been staring at a decaying cherub fountain, walking around it to get a good angle to show the curve of the cheek along with the slowly consuming moss.
 
I turn to stare at Cooper. He has his hands jammed into the pockets of my windbreaker. He scuffs one shoe through the damp grass.
 
"Well, I have to pack up my apartment and I should explain to my family exactly why I'm not coming back home. My parents know about my plans and are happy for me, but I need to say goodbye to Pete." Cooper’s shoulders slump when he says Pete’s name.
 
I rub the back of my neck. How can I argue with that? I know how important Pete is to him. He is part of the reason why I never thought Cooper would move. "When do you think you will go?" I ask carefully. I really should have expected it, but for some reason, I wasn’t.
"I was thinking about going this weekend. The office is running and Jacob is going to take care of my duties for my week's leave."
 
A single month. That's all it had been and I was already so used to having Cooper living with me. The thought him being gone for a week is depressing. What will I do for a whole week without him to spend my evenings with?
 
"You said you're done with your job, right?" Cooper starts walking again and I follow him.
 
I am tucking my camera back into my bag. "Yeah," I say. I don't feel like taking pictures anymore.
 
He stops and turns to me. He puts on hand on my arm. "Come with me."
 
Blinking, I stare at him. "Go with you? To Australia?" I hadn't considered that.
 
"Sure. Why not? Your job is done, so you can afford to take some time off right? My company gets a discount on airfare so it's really not that expensive. I want you to see my home, Owen. I promised to take you to my favorite beach, remember?"
 
Impulsively, I agree. "Okay. Yeah, I'll go!" I've never gone anywhere. I'd gotten a passport last winter, just in case the chance ever came up to visit Cooper in Australia. I’d never gone anywhere outside the US before and this was my chance. The best part is that he will be coming back with me; it won’t be a short visit where I would have to leave him behind.
Cooper jumped at me and wrapped his arms around my neck. His giant grin lights up his eyes. "Awesome. I'm so excited now."
 
I lean my head down and capture his lips. They part and I slip my tongue into the warm heat of his mouth. I can taste the cherry Coke he'd been drinking as our tongues tangle. I pull back and he captures my lower lip in his teeth.
I groan and back him off the path into the grove of trees. His feet shuffle between mine as he refuses to let go of my mouth.
 
Our breath comes harshly through our noses as his back ends up against a tree.
 
"Oof." He finally lets go when our chests slam together. He has time for one breath before I surge forward and take his mouth again. I put one of my hands behind his head to protect it from the rough bark and to hold him in place. One of his hands creeps between us and over the bulge testing my zipper's strength.
"We are too far from home," he says with a groan. The palm of his hand rubs against the head of my erection. I feel like I can’t breathe.
"Fuck." I draw the word out as he nips at my neck.
 
"Have you taken," he tugs on my ear with his teeth, "enough pictures?"
 
"Unngh." Words completely fail me. I nod.
 
Cooper laughs and I shudder. His fingers slip into my front pocket. "I think I better drive," he says.
 
***
 
My boss had no problem when I arranged for a week's vacation. My next big project was starting after I got back, so it was actually perfect timing.
 
I insisted we get to the airport three hours early. I'm not surprised when I get picked to go through the screeners.
"I bet you're glad I insisted we come early now," I say to Cooper as he waits for me. He shrugs. He was dressed casually; he was hot in his suits but something about the way his tight t-shirt fit to his chest made my fingers itch to caress him. I resist the urge to molest him in public, but barely. The flight was going to be really long but we have first class tickets.
 
It's been years since I flew and I'd never been in first class. "This is nice."
 
Cooper takes my hand. "It is."
***
 
I'm not quite sure what I expected, but Cooper's dad isn't anything like him. Large and gruff, his accent is even more pronounced. He got most of his looks from his mom.
 
Not quite sure what I expected, but the city looked just like ... a city. I was cold, the weather is chillier than I am used to considering it is heading into winter and back home it is early summer. Needing a jacket in June is definitely a first for me. Our first two days were spent packing.
 
Tuesday morning I wake up and Cooper wasn't in bed. I get up and go looking for him, wending my way through the boxes littering the hall. There's a light on in the kitchen.
 
Cooper's sitting at the table, his head in his hands. I crouch down beside him and put my hand on his back.
 
"You okay?"
His eyes had dark circles under them. "I don't know what I'm going to say to Pete."
Copyright © 2012 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 10/18/2012 06:08 AM, ninecila said:
Maybe I missed it - but who is Pete? But I like the chapter :)
Nope, you didn't miss it. Pete is a mystery! You'll find out next week though. :D
Link to comment

Yay for travel! I enjoyed this little nibble. I like these two boys. They have a good thing going. Also. The line about "wending his way through boxes" worked well. Wending was a good choice to add flavor without adding snobbery. I always enjoy your work though. thumbsup.gif

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/18/2012 09:56 AM, Carrie76 said:
Yay for travel! I enjoyed this little nibble. I like these two boys. They have a good thing going. Also. The line about "wending his way through boxes" worked well. Wending was a good choice to add flavor without adding snobbery. I always enjoy your work though. thumbsup.gif
I was asking in chat the other day to see if wending was too obscure for the average person. I'm a giant geek who likes to read dictionaries, so I'm always wondering if I'm letting my brainiac side show too much. LOL Thanks for reading Carrie; I'm glad you like where the story is headed!
Link to comment

Haha, I echo ninecila; I thought I'd have to go back and reread b/c I didn't remember a Pete either. lol

 

I'm thrilled Coop took Owen with him. A week is definitely TOO long a time to go w/o seeing one another; especially since the relationship is really new.

 

Looking forward to more. )

Link to comment

I love this story so far...God I hate Wed Briefs!!! This is a WB story right? They drive me crazy being so short. The only thing that makes it easier is that it must be worse for writers like you who put so much into their stories!

One thing I feel when I read your short chapters is that you keep the pace up at the same pace. I realized it when I re-read it here from the start. It's interesting to me how you do it. I like these two b/c the passion always feels like it's going to explode right under the surface.

I, too, wanna know who Pete is. If it is his brother I will scream at you though lol. But, I don't think you'd make that a mystery.

cannd

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/19/2012 12:40 AM, Lisa said:
Haha, I echo ninecila; I thought I'd have to go back and reread b/c I didn't remember a Pete either. lol

 

I'm thrilled Coop took Owen with him. A week is definitely TOO long a time to go w/o seeing one another; especially since the relationship is really new.

 

Looking forward to more. )

Once a long distance relationship, which they sort of had, is over any time apart is too hard! Yeah, Pete was a wrench I threw at readers with no explanation this week. Darn 1k limit! More will be coming next week; thanks for reviewing Lisa.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/19/2012 12:48 AM, Cannd said:
I love this story so far...God I hate Wed Briefs!!! This is a WB story right? They drive me crazy being so short. The only thing that makes it easier is that it must be worse for writers like you who put so much into their stories!

One thing I feel when I read your short chapters is that you keep the pace up at the same pace. I realized it when I re-read it here from the start. It's interesting to me how you do it. I like these two b/c the passion always feels like it's going to explode right under the surface.

I, too, wanna know who Pete is. If it is his brother I will scream at you though lol. But, I don't think you'd make that a mystery.

cannd

Pacing in a story is very important. I've read a lot about story arcs. Especially in a short story like this, and yes it's a Wednesday Brief story, I have to be really careful how I present the story. Cooper and Owen have a lot of passion built up with their online friendship and consequent relationship in person. I love those beginnings; the emotions are so very explosive and consuming! It makes for good story material.

 

I'm not going to tell who Pete is before next week though. Sorry!! LOL Thanks so much for the review Cannd!

Link to comment

I almost went back to check if I had missed Pete, but I don´t think I did, so I´ll read on and find about him in next chapter.

A week seems like a very short time to go all the way to Australia and pack your old life and say all the goodbyes. They definitely needed to go together.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/06/2014 07:20 PM, Suvitar said:
I almost went back to check if I had missed Pete, but I don´t think I did, so I´ll read on and find about him in next chapter.

A week seems like a very short time to go all the way to Australia and pack your old life and say all the goodbyes. They definitely needed to go together.

Yes, I didn't give them very long, at all. Probably not realistic of me, but hey, I wanted my guys together! lol
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..