Jump to content
    Circle
  • Author
  • 1,879 Words
  • 2,228 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dan's Conundrum - 9. Chapter 9

A lesson or two.

‘Stop staring at David!’ Chris told me the next day in P.E..

‘I wasn’t staring at him!’ I retorted. Though I did, for a second or two. David was taking off his shirt – impossible to resist. In an instant my eyes were onto his smooth, gorgeous body, lavishing the sight of his abs, his arms, his chest, and I could not pull away. But it was only for a second, not like I was ogling him for minutes on end. I mean, I could have but I chose not to because I didn’t want to be obvious. And how was that Chris’s business anyway? I could stare at David all I want.

If this guy keep outing me in public, I swear I’ll twist his arm…

‘Yeah, right.’ Chris snickered, nudging me on the side. I wanted nothing more than to strangle him on the spot.

‘See anything you like?’ David grinned, turning to me. He paused, shirtless, and flexed some muscles, presumably to give me a good look.

Anything and everything about you, I wanted to say. Can I touch you? But the words never got past my throat. Instead I said, ‘You two are meanies.’

‘This is called tough love, Dan. You need to stop being so damn obvious,’ Chris said, shaking his head in frustration. ‘Let me show you this.’

He sucked in a deep breath and stood, pretending to be serious. He demonstrated a comic, albeit exaggerated version of myself innocently throwing glances in all directions while his eyes inevitably return to David – not at all accurate. He lacked the finesse and discretion. David chuckled, completely entertained. I was less than impressed.

‘See? Anyone can tell. This is how I’d to it.’ He bent down a little, seeming to search for an unknown object in his bag which was never found. But I was certain he eyes were on me. He was using his peripheral vision! He did eventually find the object, but by then another had gone missing too. Then he started searching again. The diversion seemed to work: I certainly wouldn’t have noticed if he hadn’t told me. But…wasn’t he going through his kit like that in the last few weeks in exactly the same way?

‘This is good,’ I commented, nodding at him. ‘I approve.’

‘You approve?’ David asked, shocked.

‘Trick of the trade. Takes practice of course. Now you can stare at him all you want.’ Chris gave me a thumbs-up before happily slapping David in the butt.

Blood drained from my face. Did he just –? I would never have the courage for that sort of thing. Chris looked back at me. Touching David isn’t all that hard, you know, he seemed to say.

In a second, David’s eyes shifted from shock to recovery to vengeance. He did not hesitate as he put Chris in a headlock, trapping him under a strong arm, pushing his head against that sexy body.

‘Seriously – trick of the trade? Do you mind?’

Chris offered no resistance, happily being trapped. Did he realise that, since David was topless, those abs were within kissing distance? Only a little turn and he could have kissed them.

‘Well, do you mind?’ I challenged.

His eyes softened, before letting Chris go. He shrugged at me. ‘No,’ he said. ‘But others might.’

‘I don’t even like staring at them. Why should they mind?’

That was never meant to be said, but it came blurting out of my mouth. He didn’t know how monogamous my staring habits had been lately. All other guys paled in comparison, and I wanted him only. He opened his mouth, confused, as though about to say something or make a witty comeback. He was so stunning, standing there searching for words. Then he smiled, realising what I’d just unwittingly admitted.

He winked at me. ‘Just keep it all inside your head.’

Relieved and full of gratitude, I bit my lip and looked away, unwilling to meet his gaze. Did he just give me permission to lust after him, a straight guy, as long as I keep my hands to myself? And I get to keep the thoughts in my head? That sounded kind of cool. I like David.

‘Aww, thanks! Can you put me in a headlock?’

He rolled his eyes. ‘Don’t push it,’ he told me, finally putting on some clothes and removing that body from sight.

He loved me really. He just wouldn’t admit it. I smiled to myself and returned to changing. It felt better now that he knew. Another weight lifted from my chest. Yet, despite knowing better, I was still undeniably attracted to him. I couldn’t help it, but far from crying myself to bed about it or whatever, I was now more interested in how he could be so magnetic.

Surely to find love there had to be more than just being in the right place at the right time. Something still had to happen – they must be attracted to each other. About something. Not just looks. What was it? Maybe it was a trick I could learn. The last thing I needed was to screw up even in the right place and time because he simply wasn’t interested. This was the missing part of the jigsaw, one I still needed to figure out: how to be irresistible.

Hey, maybe David could teach me.

 

* * * * *

 

‘Imagine there is a fly in your room and it’s annoying you. A lot. Would you kill it?’ I asked David when we were walking home together that afternoon. Actually, this wasn’t by the furthest stretch of imagination a random question. It was carefully designed and I’d been wanting to ask him this for the entire afternoon. Yet another test I devised of course to unravel this mysterious guy, this enigma, who still intrigued me to no end.

‘No?’ He shook his head, having no clue why we were having this conversation.

‘What would you do then? Just ignore it?’

He stared at me strangely. ‘I’d probably capture it and release it outside. Why? What would you have done?’

‘Well,’ I said, glancing around uncomfortably, ‘I would kill it, of course.’

Why?’ he asked, complaint filling his eyes. ‘It’s not doing you any harm.’

‘Actually, it is,’ I said. ‘They carry pathogens and they’re spreading bacterial colonies wherever they land. And if that isn’t enough, they reproduce, so if you don’t kill them, they’ll just multiply. Then there’ll be more of them flying around, spreading even more bacteria.’

‘I don’t care. Killing’s just horrible.’

‘Think of it this way: letting it live isn’t ATP-efficient.’

He frowned at me, completely baffled by the logic.

I explained, ‘Kill it now, fewer flies to capture later.’

‘Okay?’ he said, raising an eyebrow. He must have thought me a lunatic, though he probably realised that a long time ago. Perhaps since the first day.

Nevertheless, he passed the test. It was as they say – he wouldn’t hurt a fly. He was nice, too nice. He might not have everything worked out, but how would that matter overall in the nicest guy you could possibly meet?

Am I the only one who would kill flies?

I contemplated a little. ‘Can you put me in a headlock?’

‘No!’ He looked at me incredulously. ‘Why would you want that?’

‘Uh… No reason.’

We were silent for a while as I reflected on my findings. The results from both questions were consistent. No wonder he had a girlfriend. Had he no dark side to him at all? Either that, or he hid it really well. That was why he was so attractive. That was why everyone loved him. Because he was nice. He was a good person. There was a lesson to be learned here.

David said to me, ‘Jenna and I were talking about you earlier, actually. She thinks you seem different.’

‘Oh? Good different or bad different?’

He thought for a moment. ‘Um…good. She never thought you’d be such a fun guy to hang out with, you know?’

Fun?’ I was anything but fun. To her, at least.

‘Actually, I said that.’ He shrugged. ‘But she was glad you were talking and chilling with the rest of us, instead of…sulking somewhere.’

I objected, ‘I don’t sulk.’

He winked. ‘According to her, you did.’

‘She’s wrong then,’ I said. ‘I haven’t changed at all. I’m still the same old me.’

‘I think you seem different as well,’ he admitted, smiling.

Really? He thought so too? I asked, ‘In what way?’

‘Dunno,’ he said. ‘You seem happier, more at peace. Less angry.’

The word just never occurred to me, when I described myself. ‘Angry?’ I looked at him, surprised.

‘Yup, that’s what you were. You’re chilling and having fun like everyone else now.’

I smiled dryly. ‘Maybe that’s just an impression I want to give. Maybe I have no feelings.’

He squinted his eyes, obviously thinking. ‘I think you do seem happier though.’

‘I suppose…’ I said, looking away. ‘I’m less angry if you put it that way. Don’t even know what I’m angry about.’

’Maybe it just takes you a while to warm up to people.’

Pause. It was time to break the news.

‘I want to change,’ I told him simply. ‘But how do I know I’m going the right way?’

He seemed confused. ‘Wait. What? Why do you need to change?’

‘So other guys will like me. I want to be a nice guy. How do you become one?’

‘Dan, you are a nice guy.’

‘No I’m not.’

‘Well, I think so!’

‘I’m not a nice guy like you are.’

He cringed. ‘But shouldn’t people like you for who you are, and not someone you’re trying to be?’

I challenged. ‘And if no one likes the person you are?’

‘Well, I do,’ he interrupted. ‘Dan, I’ll find you a guy and prove you wrong.’

‘You will what?’

‘Yeah, Jenna and I were talking about that too.’

They were planning to set me up? They were scheming and plotting behind me. And how would finding me a boyfriend benefit their own genes’ survival? It wouldn’t. No explanation seemed possible, other than they were simply nice people wanting to do nice things for me. I could not even begin to compare myself. I was worthless. All this time I was dying for them to break up. Nice people like them deserve each other, not with someone like me.

‘You can try,’ I said, ‘though right now, I doubt anyone would want me.’

‘Dan, if no one else does then it’s their problem.’

‘And mine too. That’s why I need to be a better person.’

He allowed a moment for my words to sink through. He bit his lip, frowning at a thought.

I stared at him, puzzled. ‘What?’

He smiled sadly. ‘Just…don’t change too much, Dan… Don’t lose sight of who you are.’

What bollocks. I knew very well the person I was, and I did not like what I see. I knew all the things I did and all the thoughts that ever crossed my mind. They were not pleasant. I was the opposite of everything I needed to be.

That’s why I don’t deserve love.

Not yet.

em>I was now more interested in how he could be so magnetic.
What are your views on the laws of attraction?
Copyright © 2013 Circle; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's just amazing how we never see ourselves like others do. We are never looking in the same mirror that others do.

 

Dan thinks he's such a bad person and he's so down on himself, but no one else thinks he's a bad person.

 

Loved the scene in the locker room! Dave is really cool not caring that Dan's oglng him. I'm sure he's flattered. lol

 

And Dave's too nice - I'm with Dan, I kill bugs too. The more I kill, the less there are out there. haha

Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 07:17 AM, Lisa said:
It's just amazing how we never see ourselves like others do. We are never looking in the same mirror that others do.

 

Dan thinks he's such a bad person and he's so down on himself, but no one else thinks he's a bad person.

 

Loved the scene in the locker room! Dave is really cool not caring that Dan's oglng him. I'm sure he's flattered. lol

 

And Dave's too nice - I'm with Dan, I kill bugs too. The more I kill, the less there are out there. haha

Hehe, thanks for the review, Lisa!

 

Yeah, we never quite see ourselves the same way others do. Whether Dan is a bad person I'll leave it up to the reader to judge :). The reader of course, having access to his thoughts and actions from his POV so far, is better to form an opinion than any of the characters there I'd think :P.

 

David is cool :). Hehe, glad Dan is not the only one!

Link to comment

I would never kill the bug. :o Not because the whole killing is bad or whatever. But because I'm way too lazy. :lol:

 

David's a really nice guy. But it's the same quality which is dragging Dan down, isn't it? Had he had some real flaws, it might have been easier to move on. But then, do you think Dan would see these flaws? More interestingly, since the whole story is from Dan's POV, isn't this why David seems so perfect? Because Dan has feelings for him. I'm pretty sure from an objective POV, he must have some flaws. My opinion.

 

By the way, funny you mentioned the fact that Dan seems happier. Even the tone of your story has changed in Part 2. Maybe it's the content, or something else. But it's lighter and happier. Understandably, given the last chapter of part 1. So is it intentional?

 

Ok, I'll stop rambling now. Great chapter. :)

Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 07:40 AM, Ieshwar said:
I would never kill the bug. :o Not because the whole killing is bad or whatever. But because I'm way too lazy. :lol:

 

David's a really nice guy. But it's the same quality which is dragging Dan down, isn't it? Had he had some real flaws, it might have been easier to move on. But then, do you think Dan would see these flaws? More interestingly, since the whole story is from Dan's POV, isn't this why David seems so perfect? Because Dan has feelings for him. I'm pretty sure from an objective POV, he must have some flaws. My opinion.

 

By the way, funny you mentioned the fact that Dan seems happier. Even the tone of your story has changed in Part 2. Maybe it's the content, or something else. But it's lighter and happier. Understandably, given the last chapter of part 1. So is it intentional?

 

Ok, I'll stop rambling now. Great chapter. :)

Hahaha, I guess that still counts you as Mr Nice Guy!

 

You're absolutely right! We often snap out of it because the object of our crush is a jerk, which is clearly not the case for Dan. While Dan is still actively investigating and researching on the subject of David (:P), there are still many things about David that Dan doesn't know. Like in real life, we cannot dip into David's head to know his thoughts, and thus we rely completely on how he's treating Dan and the people around him. If it were an objective POV however, this story would be told very differently!

 

Aha! Kudos for spotting this layer of engineering beneath the surface hehe. I clap for you. The healing process is ongoing and thoughts, tones and styles change with the character. For example, Dan is questioning less, of others, of his own actions, and more certain of his acceptance in college. Within the spectrum of Dan, sentence structures are simpler and feels a little brighter to read. Humour and content helps too, given this is a new stage of the same journey. This is absolutely intentional and it's wonderful that you spot it :).

 

Thanks for the review. You never ramble :).

Link to comment

Aww, David's such a sweetheart! I still retain some kind of hope of him just being very deeply in the closet, but that's probably quite farfetched. David seems very comfortable in his sexuality, which would account for why he doesn't care if other guys find him attractive.

And what of Chris? I keep wondering, does Chris like Dan? Poor Dan, it's not easy being him... He's so utterly rational and analytical, it's like he barely even recognises his own emotions, let alone anyone else's.

I kill bugs, if they annoy or harm me. I never kill spiders, because they kill bugs for me. We have ants in our house right now, but there's a little spider who's built a nest in the loo, and every day more dead, shrivelled up ants turn up underneath her web. I've named her Claudia. :P

Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 10:37 PM, Thorn Wilde said:
Aww, David's such a sweetheart! I still retain some kind of hope of him just being very deeply in the closet, but that's probably quite farfetched. David seems very comfortable in his sexuality, which would account for why he doesn't care if other guys find him attractive.

And what of Chris? I keep wondering, does Chris like Dan? Poor Dan, it's not easy being him... He's so utterly rational and analytical, it's like he barely even recognises his own emotions, let alone anyone else's.

I kill bugs, if they annoy or harm me. I never kill spiders, because they kill bugs for me. We have ants in our house right now, but there's a little spider who's built a nest in the loo, and every day more dead, shrivelled up ants turn up underneath her web. I've named her Claudia. :P

Heya! David is, according to Dan's experiment, a Mr Nice Guy :P. I would also say that hope, as well as imagination, are humanity's greatest gift and curse. It doesn't stop us from hoping and fantasising though lol.

 

Dan, while a little better than part 1, still doesn't understand fully what's going on around him. You're absolutely right that he barely recognises emotions in himself or others. He knows very little of Chris and David and knows very little of what's it like being them as a result.

 

Oh. I kill spiders, probably because they're the only bugs in my house! And they undermine my sense of security. I hope you clear out your ant problems soon though, and the ants do not decide to mount a massive assault on Claudia :P.

Link to comment

I definately relate to the end of the story about 'knowing everything that has gone through my head'. It drags me down alot. 'But this to shall pass'. Well maybe we'll see.

I am really enjoying this. Thanks

Link to comment
On 05/23/2013 12:47 PM, IanGf said:
I definately relate to the end of the story about 'knowing everything that has gone through my head'. It drags me down alot. 'But this to shall pass'. Well maybe we'll see.

I am really enjoying this. Thanks

Once again, thank you for your support. Yeah, only ourselves really know what our thoughts were like, unless we're reading a novel about someone else's thoughts :P.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..