Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 621 Words
  • 2,068 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Christmas Gift - 2. Chapter 2

Christmas and New Years’ came and went. Soon it was time to leave. Mom and Dad gave Tony an option of going back with me or staying there. He could finish school, and since he was now 18, he is independent of his parents.

“Chet, what should I do?

“Tony, only you can answer that question. I can see that my parents have taken to you and have feelings for you. But you have a home no matter what you want to do. Think about it tonight, pray about it and let me know in the morning. We’ll go to the diner for breakfast, whether you stay or come with me.”

Leaving Tony in his room, I went downstairs to chat with my folks. I had already told them about what happened and how I met him. They asked me what I thought about him staying with them. “Truthfully, I want him to come with me. It’d be nice to have someone around; sometimes, it gets lonely. But the decision is what is best for Tony. He can finish school with me, and a large university close by that he could attend. I can even get him a part-time job where I work.”

We chatted some more, and then it was time to hit the hay. The next morning, I woke to a knock at my door. When I yelled yes, the door open, and Tony was there. I padded the side of my bed for him to sit. “I have given it a lot of thought, and I think I’d like to go back with you if that’s ok.”

“Yes, it’s fine with me. May I ask what made you decide to go back with me?”

“I only have half of a semester to finish my senior year. The university where I wanted to go is closer to you than Mom and Dad. I could help out at your place, like clean and cook. So I wouldn’t be in your way. Maybe I could get a part-time job and help out with the food. How do you think Mom and Dad will take this?”

“They understand, and I think they’ll be happy with whatever your choice would be.”

That morning as we packed the car, dad came out and pulled me aside. “I like the boy. He has had some rough stuff thrown at him. He’ll always be welcomed here, and if you need anything, and I mean anything, you let me know.”

“Thanks Dad. I love you. Why don’t you and Mom come with us to the diner? We’ll get Stella to fix one of their special breakfasts.”

Dad and Mom followed us to the diner. Of course, we all got a hug from Stella, and Tony hugged back. I think that’s the first time Stella was hugged back. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and a big smile.

True to form, the same breakfast that we had when we arrived, we had again. We enjoyed it as a family. Saying goodbye to Mom and Dad was always hard. I love my parents and wish I could have stayed close by, but we go where the jobs take us.

On the drive back to the city and home, I had a chance to reflect on all that happened in the last two weeks. As I passed the spot where I first saw Tony, I noticed a bus shelter existed at that spot on the highway for the first time. Why hadn’t I seen that then? Was it raining too hard, or were my eyes too tired? Or was it that I was destined to help this young man. Maybe he was a surprised Christmas gift.

Tony did stay with Chet and finished high school. In his sophomore year at the University, he met a young man and the rest is history.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You did say this was a short story.We all heard the expression "Short and Sweet"Well this was short but also definitely sweet.I had to notice when Tony was speaking to Chet he said "Mom and Dad" like they were his Mom and Dad so that showed that made a impression on each other.Thank you for a nice story

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Truly, another great story which I could continue reading for many chapters. I was surprised a little that Tony didn't develop feelings for Chet and they lived happily ever after as opposed to meeting a young man at University. I thought it was telling of how starved Tony was for attachment when he referred to Chets parents as Mom & Dad - though they may've never introduced themselves by their given names. One never knows but always a nice touch that shows he attached to them as much as they attached to him. 

Edited by Chris L
  • Like 5
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

You did say this was a short story.We all heard the expression "Short and Sweet"Well this was short but also definitely sweet.I had to notice when Tony was speaking to Chet he said "Mom and Dad" like they were his Mom and Dad so that showed that made a impression on each other.Thank you for a nice story

There are people that exudes love, Chet's parents are one of those. Tony felt home and he wished his parents were like Chet's. This was a short story, I wanted to show that there are families that accept gays, and show them the love they should have had from their own parents.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

Thanks for the short epilog. I would love more story about Chet and Tony, but that helped complete the story for me. Although short, your story was well written, and your characters were well-rounded. This is a great Christmas gift to your readers! Thanks. 

Thank you. I needed to make a point, I think Chet and his parents did a great job.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Truly, another great story which I could continue reading for many chapters. I was surprised a little that Tony didn't develop feelings for Chet and they lived happily ever after as opposed to meeting a young man at University. I thought it was telling of how starved Tony was for attachment when he referred to Chets parents as Mom & Dad - though they may've never introduced themselves by their given names. One never knows but always a nice touch that shows he attached to them as much as they attached to him. 

Thanks, I'm sure you know people who make you feel very comfortable. Chet's parents and the hugs at the dinner said a lot about the people in that town.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great story. It showed that some families can be excepting.

Yes, there are a few

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter , a good feel good story . everything worked out well for everyone

Tis the season when good triumph's over bad, at least in the heart and mind of some people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..