Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,926 Words
  • 1,975 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Billy - 5. Chapter 5

The following week we began to open at 6 am. Billy walked to work after leaving a cup of coffee for me. The sales for the week were showing the effect of opening earlier. If this kept up, I’d need to hire more help. I mentioned to Nancy that the café was doing very well and I need to hire more help.

“Mark, what kind of help do you need?”

“I think, I need someone to clear the tables and help serve the food.”

“My sister’s teenage son needs a job, but he has school. I know he'll do a good job.”

“Have him come to see me. Maybe we could use him on weekends. I'll still need someone during the week.”

“You should ask Mary, maybe she'll know someone.”

Mary was the front person, she seated patrons, took and served orders, and filled in for Russo when he wasn't there.

When I spoke to Mary, she suggested that we should hire another hostess as it was long hours for her. She had been opening for breakfast and staying until closing. We chatted and I came away with an agreement. I’d hire someone to open in the morning and work into the afternoon. This would mean that there would be two people during the lunch hours, when we were the busiest.

With this settled, I then had to come up with a scheme that would allow me to let Mary and the new person have time off. Billy came up with the answer saying that on Monday and Tuesday, our slowest days, he would fill in for one of the girls. This was just a stop gap answer. I needed to give the girls two days free each week.

I ask Nancy if she had any ideas. “You know Mark, if you opened at 7am and close at 7pm, you could work the girls for three 12 hour days and since you open later on Sunday, you could split that day in 4 hour increments. Each girl would work 3 full days and then have 3 days off. Give me a few minutes and I'll put together a schedule for you.”

That afternoon, “Mark, would you mind working a day in the café? If you did, I have a schedule that'll work.”

I looked at Nancy’s schedule, and thought I could work on a Saturday. I talked it over with Billy that evening, he thought it was a good idea. I don't know what’s happening with Billy, but the quiet and shy boy I saw sitting in the park was gone. In his place was this young man, who was very happy and talking like he probably did before he enlisted.

I contacted his cousin and she gave me the address of the lawyer that was handling Billy's affairs. I sent him a letter basically giving him Billy's address. At the same time, Mario told me his father had sold their home and he had to find a place to live . I was surprised when Billy offered he could live with us, I had to remind Billy that my place only had two bedrooms. The answer I received from Billy answered all of my questions.

“Mark, he can sleep in my room, if that's okay.”

I just smiled, “I take it that you and Mario have reached an agreement?”

“Yes, I hope you aren't angry but Mario and I love each other. We want to live together.”

“Then I don't see a problem. Does Russo know how Mario feels?”

‘Yes, he has accepted us.”

Within a few days Mario had moved in. I noticed there was a smile on Billy's face all the time now. When I think back on when I first met him, he wasn't the same man anymore.

Mario was a joy to be around, but I knew that they really needed some time alone. I also realized that I needed to provide someone to help in the kitchen. When I spoke to Nancy, she suggested I advertise for help at the local culinary school. I did advertise, but many of the respondents came from local high schools. The problem was that many of the high school students couldn't work the hours.

The following week, the principal of the local high school came in for lunch along with a teacher. Mary seated them and took their order. They asked to see the owner. “I'm sorry but he isn't here right now, i’ll call and ask him to come to the café.”

When I arrived at the café, Mary pointed out the people who wanted to see me.

I went to their table and introduce myself, “Hello I'm Mark, Mary said you wanted to see me.”

“Hello Mark, I'm John Roberts, Principal of Central High School and this is Ann Resto our Home Economics teacher. We’d like to talk to you about your advertisement for kitchen help. I'm sure you’re aware that Home Ec is one of the courses that many of our students take, we are not sure if they take it for the free food or are they really interested in learning how to cook. Ann and I have discussed a way to allow our more serious students an opportunity to get some hands on training. We’d like for our students to work in your kitchen, at our expense.”

“If I understand what you are offering, you'll send students to my café to work in the kitchen under the direction of the kitchen staff. You would give them credit, but how would you evaluate them. I know how I'll evaluate them, but my evaluation has more to do with the business end rather than the knowledge end. I don't want to teach, except to show them how to assist in my kitchen.”

“The students we’ll send will be our most senior students, who have taken the course for several years. We have students who have expressed a desire to attend culinary school upon graduation. As to evaluation, we’ll acquire them to write a report on their experiences on a monthly basis until they graduate.”

“In someways, I like the idea, but if we proceed with your proposal, I’ll have to pay them, otherwise I'd be in conflict with state laws. My kitchen staff would need to agree and interview the students you would send. I'll discuss this with the kitchen staff this evening and let you know my answer in a few days.

They agreed and said that would be back for lunch on the coming Friday. I told them in that case, I'll have an answer for them. Miss Resto asked to see the kitchen. “Mary, Miss Resto would like to see your kitchen. Could you accompany her?”

Mary led Miss Resto to the kitchen, they were gone what I thought was a long time. When they returned both of them were laughing.

“Mark, I take it that your kitchen staff are very much into each other.”

I looked at Mary, she mouthed ‘they were kissing’.

“Yes, I hope that won't become an issue. They are a couple.”

“No, in fact the student I have in mind, won’t mind at all.”

I thought about what Miss Resto said and wondered if that would be a problem. Both Billy and Mario were good looking young men.

I discussed Mr. Roberts proposal with Mario and Billy that evening. “Is that why that lady came into the kitchen?”

“Yes, she is the Home Economics teacher and she saw you two kiss.”

“Was she upset?”

“No, I think she was okay, but guys, the health inspector may not be so forgiving.” I don't want them to be embarrassed or feel what they did was inappropriate but a restaurant kitchen wasn't the place. I think they got the idea.

Friday when I went to lunch, Mr. Roberts, Miss Resto and a young man were seated at the table. Mr. Roberts saw me when I entered the restaurant and indicated for me to sit at their table. “Mark, this is Clark James. He’s one of Ann's better students.”

“Clark, it's nice to meet you.” He was a nice looking young man and seemed very respectable . “John, I have spoken to my kitchen staff, they seem to be open to your suggestion, so if your proposal is still on the table, I'll except the help, but understand I'll pay him or her for the work they do.”

“Thank you sir, I look forward to working in your kitchen.”

“Clark you need to understand that you won't always be working in the kitchen” You'll be working in the café, that means beside the kitchen, you may have to be a server or a busboy, it's all part of the operation of the café. Do you have a problem with that?”

“No, sir”

“Good,” I waived Mary over to take our order. “Mary, take Clark with you and introduce him to Marlo and Billy as our new help.”

“Mark, I hope your kitchen help isn't kissing.”

“They won't be, but would that be a problem for Clark?”

“I don't know, but what I do know he's a top student and doesn't seem to have a steady girlfriend. I have seen him at school dances and he does have a date. I think he's too focused on his education. I know he'll need a scholarship to go to college, he comes from a good home but his parents aren't in a financial position to pay for his college education.”

Soon Clark came back with the tray with our lunches on it. “I see they have put you to work already.”

“Since I was coming back, I told them I'll bring the food.”

I look forward to knowing this young man, there’s something there that wants me to be more than a boss. Lunch was pleasant and Clark was to show up for work the next day, being Saturday. That evening I asked Mario and Billy what they thought about Clark. They both smiled and indicated that he’d be perfect for the job. I got the impression they knew more about Clark, but weren’t going to say anything.

Next morning, I walk to work with Billy. Mario slept in, Billy opened the café . I sat in the kitchen while Billy cooked us breakfast. “Billy, you and I haven't had much time to chat, how are you doing?"

“Mark I'm very happy. The friend I lost in the war was my lover and when I lost him, I felt the world had ended. You know how I was when you found me in the park. I was lost and really was waiting to move on and be with him, until you came along. In a way, you saved my life, and Mario has given it back to me. I'll never forget Brian but Mario fills void.”

“You should never forget Brian, the heart can hold more than one love. You may love Mario and think in time you'll forget Brian, but that won't happen. You’ll see Brian in many ways, and each one should bring a smile to your face because he’s still looking out for you. I know he's happy you have found Mario, he wouldn’t want you to miss out on life. Billy, you and Mario need to plan a program for Clark. I also want him to work the front as well. He needs to know what goes on there as well as in the kitchen. He should be here at eight to get started.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Billy is good at his job

According to Mark, he's an excellent breakfast cook. At least when he makes his rolls.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter I think that the shop is going to be a bit small very soon 

There is no room to expand inside so he may set up tables out side.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..