Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,015 Words
  • 2,279 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Billy - 4. Chapter 4

Over the next few weeks, Billy began to relax, he now helps to prepare the meals and it turned out he was a reasonable cook. I think breakfast was his favorite, one morning I woke to the smell of rolls baking. Billy had prepared cinnamon rolls from scratch for breakfast. As it turned out, they were very good. When I complimented Billy, he said thank you and handed be a bag of buns for Nancy. “Mark, give these to Nancy for me. She has been very kind to me.”

That was a first time Billy spoke a full sentence. I was delighted and told him that I’d give the buns to Nancy. Getting ready to go to the office, I saw that Billy was cleaning the kitchen. “Billy, are you coming with me to the office?”

“Mark, can I stay here?”

“Of course, you can. If you want to take a walk later, walk to the office and we can have lunch together.” There was that smile again

I gave Nancy the buns and told her they were from Billy. “He said it was because you were very kind to him. I couldn't believe it, but this morning he cooked, or rather baked breakfast. He made these buns from scratch. I asked him to come over for lunch, you can thank him for the buns and see what he says.”

 

The morning was very busy as I begin to prepare statements for my clients looking toward tax season, which would be right around corner. I didn't hear Billy come into the office and wouldn't have noticed except I could hear Nancy talking to someone. Checking my watch, I saw it was time for lunch, walking out of my office there was Billy chatting with Nancy and dressed very nice. He just smiled at me, “Ready for lunch?

He didn't answer but headed for the door

Walking into Russo's café, Billy went and said hello to Russo while heading toward our seat . It looked like Billy was going to be a little more independent. “Billy, why did you pick this table?”

“We always sit here, did I do something wrong?”

“No, you're right, I never noticed that we always sat here.”

Russo came over and took our order. Want to bet that Billy ordered the same lunch? As long as we've been eating here, Billy always order the pastrami sandwich with french fries. I remembered that I use to take that sandwich to him when he sat in the park.

“Mark, I’d like to discuss something with you when you have some time.”

“Russo, sit down and if you have time, we can talk now.”

“Good, I think you know that my brother has a restaurant on the other side of town. He has asked me to join him. It seems that his restaurant is doing very well and he wants to expand. He has offered me a partnership and I'm thinking of taking him up on that, my problem is this place. If I sell it, then my son will have to find a job. He has been my chef since he graduated from high school. Chances of him finding another job will be difficult without a culinary degree”

“I thought he had a culinary degree, his food is excellent.”

“No, his mother taught him. I have a proposal for you. I'll sell this café to you at a reasonable price, if you promise to keep Mario in the kitchen.”

“Billy, what do you think?”

“I don't know Mario, I like his food.”

“Okay. Russo, but I may not be able to pay you all at once. How much do you want for the Café?”

Well, you already own the building, so I thought a price based on six months of sales would be reasonable.”

As Russo's accountant, I knew what six months a sales representative. It still was a fairly high number, “Russo, that me think about it and I'll let you know tomorrow at lunch.”

That evening as we were eating dinner, “Billy, what do you think about buying Russo’s Café?”

“I think it would be a good idea. Maybe I could work there as a dishwasher or something.”

I thought about that, maybe it would be a good idea for Billy to have a job of some sort. I knew Billy had some culinary skills and working in the kitchen with Mario, might be good for him.

The next day at lunch I told Russo he had a deal if he’d let me pay him in installments. “I think that will work, Mark. I’ll have the papers drawn up. Would you like a tour of the kitchen?”

I looked at Billy and he was shaking his head yes. "Yes, let's do that. I never met your son.”

Walking back into the kitchen, I saw young man with the blackest hair I ever saw and when he looked at me, his blue eyes seemed to sparkle. I took one look at Billy, he was off in another world. After our introductions, Russo explained about me buying the café and him staying as the chef. Mario just smiled as he kept glancing at Billy. I swear, I saw sparks fly between them.

The following week, we signed the papers and I gave Russo the first of the payments we had agreed upon. I could've paid him in full, but since Russo agreed to my terms, I felt there was no hurry. Billy acted like he was in a different place, he had a smile on his face as If he had a secret. Billy started to work in the café. At first he worked in the kitchen doing dishes and learning what Mario did. Then between the kitchen, prepping for Mario and busing tables, Billy was smiling all the time. It seemed to me that business began to pick up. Billy wanted to open for breakfast. He would cook breakfast so Mario wouldn't have to work from opening till closing. I discussed this with Mario, he was all for it.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like everything is falling into place.I have one concern how would Billy react to an armed robbery?You hope it never happens of course but it could.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, Billy is finally coming out of his shell , I can only hope that things go from strength to strength, I hope that the restaurant does really well

  • Like 3
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Sounds like everything is falling into place.I have one concern how would Billy react to an armed robbery?You hope it never happens of course but it could.

I think he would go ballistic if he thought Mark or someone he knows was in danger. He would end up in a relapse from which there would be no return.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, Billy is finally coming out of his shell , I can only hope that things go from strength to strength, I hope that the restaurant does really well

After the evening when the wood cracked in the fireplace, I think he relived the trauma in losing his friend, only this time his friend lived. The word 'friend' had a significant effect on Billy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Billy seems to be settling down 

I think he's on his way back to the living. I'm not a medical expert but it seems that the little episode in the living room triggered something. Friend, seems to be a key word for Billy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..