Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 794 Words
  • 2,068 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Billy - 6. Chapter 6

Epilogue

Finishing breakfast, I went to open the café. We start to serve breakfast at 7 am. When I went to unlocked the door, there standing by the door was Clark. “Clark, you're early. Come on in, tell Billy to fix your breakfast, you can't start working on empty stomach.”

“Thank you sir, I had breakfast before I left home.”

“Okay, then you can help me set up the tables. When we close at night, we piled the chairs on the top of the table so we can clean the floors.”

I stuck my head in the kitchen, “Billy, can you find me an apron and a hot chocolate for Clark.”

Looking at Clark, I got a smile

Once the café was set for business, I sent Clark to the kitchen to help Billy. Business normally doesn't pick up until 9 on Saturday and Sunday. I checked the till for the correct change, got a cup of coffee and waited for the rest of my staff. I took a peek in the kitchen, Billy had Clark cooking bacon. They were talking a mile a minute, I’d bet tonight at home, the subject will be Clark.

As the café became busy, Mario came in and headed for the kitchen. It wasn't long before I ask Clark to help bus the tables. He pitched right in, when he saw me watching, he just smiled.

We had a break about 11, it wasn't much of a break, it did allowed us to catch up a little and to have a cup of coffee before the lunch crowd hit. Mario asked Clark to help in the kitchen, I think his smile even got bigger. He had to run the dishwasher, but they did let him chop the vegetables. If you stuck your head into the kitchen, you’d see everyone was busy and you would hear a lot of laughter.

Clark worked weekends and holidays, while he completed his senior year. Upon graduating, we had a party for him at the diner. Mario baked a cake that had three layers and each layer was a different flavor. But the best news for Clark and his parents, was the notification that he was granted a scholarship to the Culinary Institute. I got a hug as well as Mario and Billy. Mr. Roberts and Miss Resto were very proud of their prodigy.

Clark continued to work for us full time during the summer. His parents made sure he put most of that money in the bank to save for college expenses not covered by the scholarship. Clark was a happy young man and Mario and Billy took advantage by having him start in the morning, allowing Billy and Mario to sleep in. That lasted about a month when Billy got a twinge of conscious, and a new schedule was worked out. Billy opened, joined by Clark and myself for lunch and dinner. Billy went home, while the evening cooking was left to Mario and Clark.

With Clarke heading off to school, Mr. Roberts brought over another student to replace Clark. Unfortunately, the young girl didn't want to work with Mario and Billy. Something about her parents not approving of her working in an all male kitchen. I didn't really believe that was the reason and Mr. Robert agreed with me. He did send over another young man who Billy and Mario liked. So when Clark left to go to culinary school, Lawrence Bishop took his place. The first words out of his mouth was, “Please call me Larry.”

Clark still joined us for holidays. I told him he'd have a job with us during spring break and summer break. Larry did well, we had a full staff for the holidays that allowed Billy and Mario to relax a little. The café continued to be busy. We did start to open at 6 as originally planned. I also hired another hostess and a new schedule that was based on 36 hour workweek

Among all of this success, there was one thing I was disappointed about. Mario and Billy decided they wanted their own home. A neighbor a few houses down from mine, put his home on the market and Billy bought it with the money that was in his trust. He also arranged for the furniture that was in storage to be delivered to his new home. Although I was sad to see them go, I was happy for them.

 

People come into your life and leave but never without leaving something behind that you'll treasured for the rest of your life and so it was with Billy. He left me with the feeling of love and accomplishment, the cinnamon rolls that occasionally found their way to my kitchen helped.

This was a short story that was inspired when I read a story in the news about a young man returning from the Mideast and having problems adjusting after what he had seen. War is a terrible thing, it is a haunting memory that has far reaching effects. I wanted Billy to have a happy ending, he's found love, a job and now a home. What more can any men ask for.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

He was sad about Billy and Mario moving out but it was only a few houses down and they work in the Cafe so it's all good.Clark and Larry could sleep over  sometimes so they would be closer to work .Very good story

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks. It was a short story while I edited a much longer story. But before I post that story, tomorrow I'll post a new story.

Mark is happy and particularly with the morning rolls.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 5
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Beautiful short story! Thank you. 

your welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter and soul uplifting story, thank you , 

your welcome and thanks for reading 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome story 

It was a short like they use to have a movies, something to pass the time while you're waiting for a main feature. Like the movies, I have an advertisement coming before the main feature 😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another amazing story CLJ! A true example of the people making a difference in one persons life that multiple so many times forward. Such a rewarding, validating, and encouraging mindset to read. THANK YOU and I look forward to many future stories emphasizing this game mentality - LOVE! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I found this story and read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the characters and their story as much as I have enjoyed your other stories. Once again you have written interesting characters that I quickly came to care about. I was impressed by Mark's caring and compassion for Billy. He really did save Billy's life. Thanks for sharing this most enjoyable short story!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks to Mark for taking the time to get to know and help Billy and allow him to start a new chapter in his life with Mario and the cafe crew. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 8/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, Chris L said:

Another amazing story CLJ! A true example of the people making a difference in one persons life that multiple so many times forward. Such a rewarding, validating, and encouraging mindset to read. THANK YOU and I look forward to many future stories emphasizing this game mentality - LOVE! 

you are welcome

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 8/30/2020 at 6:37 PM, JeffreyL said:

I found this story and read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the characters and their story as much as I have enjoyed your other stories. Once again you have written interesting characters that I quickly came to care about. I was impressed by Mark's caring and compassion for Billy. He really did save Billy's life. Thanks for sharing this most enjoyable short story!

you are welcome

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Bft said:

Thanks to Mark for taking the time to get to know and help Billy and allow him to start a new chapter in his life with Mario and the cafe crew. 

In our hectic life we need to take time to look around us. Mark did that and he saved a life that was worth saving.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great story. Sometimes a compassion and a helping hand can change a person's life.  This was just a story, but it can sometimes work in real life. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..