Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,561 Words
  • 2,169 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Billy - 2. Chapter 2

I rushed back to the office, “Nancy, they arrested Billy. I'm going to the police station and see if I can get him out.”

When I arrived at the police station, I saw Billy sitting in a room with a police officer. Billy just sat there, I really don't think he knew what was going on.

“Sergeant, could you tell me what the charges are against Billy.”

“Who's Billy, I have no one here named Billy”

“He’s that young man in that room with the police officer”.

“His name is Billy? When I asked him, he didn't say anything, he hasn't said anything at all.”

“I think Billy is a veteran who has seen something that has shaken him to his core. It took me almost 3 months to get his name. Every day, we’d have lunch together in the park, he's harmless, he’s more dangerous to himself than to others.”

“Well, we can release him to your custody, if you assume responsibility for him”

I looked at Billy, just then he turned and looked at me, he smiled.

The sergeant gave me some papers to fill out, which I did, then I went and took Billy by the hand and led him out of the police station. He just smiled at me. “Billy, I told the policemen that I’d take care of you. So I'm taking you home with me, okay?” Billy just smiled.

When I got home, I entered through the back gate. “Billy, would you like to take a shower while I start dinner?”

He thought for a while, then shook his head yes. In the room that faced the garden, I had a full bathroom. When I worked in the garden, I used it rather than walk to the top floor, where the main bathroom was located.

I showed Billy the bathroom, I turned the water on and adjusted the temperature. By the time I turned around, there was Billy, naked. I guess being in the military there wasn't any modesty. Billy was thin, very thin, almost to stage where he looked like he hadn’t eaten for months. I showed him the soap, shampoo and the loofah. While he took a shower, I took his clothes to the back room where I had the washer and dryer. With his clothes in the washer, I went upstairs and brought down my robe. I waited until Billy walked out of the bathroom, dripping wet. I took a towel and began to dry him. Putting on the robe, I led him outside to the patio. I didn't realize it but having Billy, was like having a kid.

“Billy, how about me giving you a haircut?” He just sat there and smiled. I took that as a positive. I got a comb and scissors. As I began to cut his hair, I noticed he had head lice. “Billy, is your head itchy?” He just smiled and scratched his head.

I went and got my shaving gear, I was going to shave his head and get rid of the lice. I took the scissors and cut his hair as close to the scalp as possible. Then I lathered his head and shaved him totally bald. I showed Billy his picture in a mirror, he just smiled and rubbed his head. As he was rubbing his head, I noticed that he had lice in the hair in his arm pits as well. So I shaved that area, in fact when I was done, there wasn’t any hair on Billy at all.

I took Billy to the kitchen, he sat at the table well I finished preparing dinner. I made chicken soup and toasted cheese sandwiches, I knew I’d have to go shopping tomorrow. I sat a bowl of soup before Billy and a toasted cheese sandwich. As we ate, Billy would watch me, as if he wanted to say something. “Billy, do you want more soup?”

All I got was his smile, so I refilled his bowl. He just smiled and continued to empty his bowl. I fixed us coffee and took him into the living room, turning on the TV. There was a news commentator talking about the conflict in Syria. When Billy saw that, he started to shake and cry. I immediately turned off the TV and took him into my arms. He cried into my chest for a few minutes and then calmed down. Billy was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder brought on by being in the army. I didn't know the full story but I’d find out.

I showed Billy where he'd sleep, I gave him a pair of my sweat pants and a T-shirt to sleep in. “Good night Billy, sleep well.” He looked at me and smiled.

In the morning when I got up, Billy was sitting at the kitchen table. “Good morning Billy, ready for breakfast?” All I got was a smile. I made a pot of coffee, poured a cup for Billy and myself. I made a breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast. All the time we were eating, Billy had a smile on his face.

“Billy, I'm going to take a shower and get dressed for work. If you want more coffee, just pour yourself a cup.”

I headed to the bathroom, started the shower. As soon as I had the right temperature, I stepped into the warm spray. Then I felt hands on my shoulders, Billy was there. I wondered if he had clothes on, I looked and he didn’t. He took the loofah and then began to wash my back, I was a little shocked, but also amazed that he was doing this. By the end of the shower, we had washed each other and when I gave him a towel, he dried me so I did the same to him. For me this was weird, but I thought it was a little breakthrough, as well.

I led him to my bedroom, handed him a pair of briefs, of course they were big on him but the elastic in the waistband held them up. I gave him socks, a pair of pants, that where a little tight for me, and a T-shirt. He had to put on his old shoes, as mine were too small.

We walked to the park until we came to his table, he sat there and smiled at me, I went and got him a cup of coffee and a muffin to eat while I was at work that morning. Nancy wanted to know all about it and when I told her she printed off some information on returning service men experiencing traumatic events. “Nancy, I’m going to take a longer lunch break, he needs clothes, so we’re going shopping at Abe’s.” Abe was a client of mine and he always gave me a discount.

When it was lunch time I went and pick up Billy at his table. “Billy, we’re going shopping for clothes.” We walked to Abe’s.

“Mark, how are you?”

“I’m fine Abe. I need some clothes for my friend here.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“He needs everything, I’d say 7 pairs of underwear, couple package’s of socks, T-shirts, some regular shirts and of course pants. Billy, Mister Abe is going to help you pick out some clothes,”

I watched as Abe led Billy to the underwear section. Billy looked at me and I nodded, he picked up a package of boxers and showed me smiling. I nodded and indicated to Abe to take two packages, next were socks. I watched as Billy looked for green socks, the military again. Abe showed him a pack of white socks, Billy looked at me and I nodded yes. This routine was followed until we had finished shopping. Our next stop was the shoe store where I bought him a pair of sneakers.

He carried all of the packages home. I took the new clothes and washed them on the rinse setting. “Billy, put on your new shoes and then we’ll go and have lunch,” again the smile.

Sitting at the deli, Russo the owner sat down at our table. “Who’s this young man?”

“Russo, don’t you recognize him?” Billy was smiling.

“No, I have never seen him before. Is he a relative?”

“Do you remember that man who sat in the park all day? I bought him coffee and lunch.”

“No way, I’d never have guessed. He cleans up rather nicely.”

“Billy, this is Russo, he owns the deli and is responsible for the coffee and lunches we ate in the park.” Billy just smiled.

“This is on the house.” Russo brought us a big lunch, soup, salad and a sandwich. I watched Billy smile as he ate.

“Billy, I have to go to work for a little while. Do you want to go and sit in the park or come with me. You can sit in my office,”

No answer, he looked at the park and then he put his hand on my shoulder as I moved toward the office. My office was above the deli and as I climbed the stairs, Billy was right behind me. Opening the door, “Nancy, this is Billy,” Billy smiled. Nancy came and gave him a hug. Billy looked at me, I was smiling. Then Billy hugged Nancy back, he looked at me and smiled.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 16
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope this isn't beyond Mark's ability to help.My thought would be to contact a VA office.But I guess you need to find a last name first 

.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I hope this isn't beyond Mark's ability to help.My thought would be to contact a VA office.But I guess you need to find a last name first 

.

Billy is still a mystery to Mark. Billy not speaking makes it difficult to gather any information.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Wow great chapter, Billy is at least saved a bit by Mark, he certainly has his work cut out but I think that he will persevere, I hope he finds more out about Billy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Wow great chapter, Billy is at least saved a bit by Mark, he certainly has his work cut out but I think that he will persevere, I hope he finds more out about Billy

I hope that Billy develops a trust with Mark, and begins to open up to him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm glad Billy has Mark as a someone to help support him.  Horrible situation many former service members have to deal with.  Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

I'm glad Billy has Mark as a someone to help support him.  Horrible situation many former service members have to deal with.  Thank you.

It takes a certain person to rise to that challenge. For some reason, Mark has picked up the shield

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I'm glad Billy has Mark to help him

Yes, it takes a man with a big heart to become involved with someone like Billy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..