Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Third Shift - 8. Chapters 11 & 12 Jabez Stone

div>Jabez Stone is the character in the story, The Devil and Daniel Webster. Check it out. This is a variation on the Faust theme.

Chapter 11 - Jabez Stone

February 22nd

Cory tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for the buzzing of the cell phone to end. "Pick up, pick up, pick up," he pleaded.

"Hey, Cory," the voice answered sounding suspicious. "I asked for a few weeks before we discussed things."

"Hi Sandy. I thought we could go out to dinner this weekend."

Silence was all he heard in response.

"There's a new place called, Alexandro's and I want to see the new Coen brothers’ movie, Ancient Ages. Are you guys available?" Cory asked nervously. He hoped his pleasant, hopeful tone would persuade his ex.

"Wait a sec, you want me and Casey to go with?" Sandy asked. "Have you been drinking?"

Cory laughed. It wasn't really his normal laugh. It sounded a little forced. He couldn't do anything about it though. "I am sober and not insane."

Before Sandy could answer him, Cory decided to lay it on the line. "I know this seems odd, but I miss you. I really miss you both. I'm so lonely. Just one night out together."

Cory heard Sandy cover the phone and there was a frantic whispering in the background. He could hear Casey's astonished, "what?"

He'd been feeling a bit manic of late. He'd gotten the idea to call up his ex and Casey from a discussion with Lawson. His client was still wrestling with anger issues. He'd since met with his mother and they'd had a good reunion, according to Lawson. Cory called Stella Jones who had confirmed their productive meeting.

Lawson had said something in their earlier meeting. They'd been talking about friends and exes and how when a couple splits, so do the friends. Cory insisted it was a hetero thing, not a gay thing. There wasn’t a reason friends had to choose after a same-sex break. He thought they could remain friends without acrimony.

Lawson had laughed at him.

Cory explained gay relationships aren't the same as those with a man and a woman. Most of the people he knew continued being friends after the breakup. Sure, there was an awkward transition period, but it didn't need to continue. For straight ones, it seemed the opposite.

Lawson challenged him to make friends with Sandy and Casey. It was the last thing Cory wanted right now. He'd sooner sleep with a porcupine than spend time with either of them. Lawson told him he was wrong. Maybe hookups could remain friends, but committed relationships bred contempt and distrust. They also give rise to bitterness.

Cory dismissed the idea as absurd. Lawson's laugh and his challenge kept coming back to haunt him for the rest of his shift. What if he and Sandy were too upset to even speak again? Casey had been his best friend. If he let the friendship go, could he live with himself? They had history, good times, and so much in common.

During his drive home that morning, he was obsessed by it. As he made himself dinner, the phone seemed to beckon to him. So, he finally picked it up at noon, knowing Sandy would be awake, and called. Now he was waiting for Sandy to say yes or no.

"Cory, is everything okay?" a different voice asked. It was Casey. "You didn't want to speak with me when I tried a couple of weeks ago and now you want to go out with us? It's a little strange."

Feeling his heart begin to race, Cory paused and then said, "I was reacting out of shock. I'm sorry about how I spoke to you. I was wrong."

"You called me a "traitorous slut", Cory. Now you want to act as if it never happened."

Cory cringed. His immediate urge was to hang up the phone. Casey's obvious bitterness was like a splash of battery acid on his skin. He could feel the hot, sizzling liquid eating into his flesh. Instead, he summoned his reserve, his training, and his courage.

"I want to make amends for my actions. I'm sorry. I was trying so hard to make it work with Sandy and when it didn't work, I lashed out at you."

Cory listened to the silence with worry swelling in his chest. Finally, he heard Casey breath and speak.

"Okay, I understand. I would've been pretty upset myself. We didn’t mean it to happen, you know. We fell in love. Both of us resisted it. You know. We’ve talked about this."

"I know.” Cory said. He paused and his heartbeat slowed. “Thank you for giving me this chance.” A sense of peace began to cascade throughout his body. He knew it would be all right now. His life could start going back to normal. Finally.

Casey handed the phone over to Sandy and they made plans to meet. By the time Cory finished the call, he was smiling, happy with things.

***

2:44 am.

Cory watched as Lawson paced the conference room. His one good eye flashed with anger as he stomped around the room.

"They want me to fucking plead guilty, again. I didn't kill Gordy on purpose and I certainly didn't do this on purpose either."

Cory couldn't understand the man's reactions. John Lawson was completely off-kilter compared to the day before. He had seemed to move through the healing process well, but now he was again acting irrational.

"John, your attorney is simply trying to get you the best deal," Cory said, trying to placate the man. "Listen and consider what he has to say."

"This is bullshit," Lawson hollered. He actually grabbed a wad of his own hair and pulled. His face was twisted in fury, spittle jumping from each word.

"We aren't getting anywhere," Cory finally said, pushing back his chair. "If you're not going to talk to me about things, I might as well go."

Lawson turned and looked at the other man angrily. From rage, his face changed and turned to disgust. His lips curled in a sneer. His cheeks bunched and twitched.

"Then fucking leave, you stupid faggot. I don't need you drooling over my ass. I'm not queerbait, you sick piece of shit."

Cory's mouth dropped open. His first instinct was to run, race out the door and away from the man, so beautiful but so foul. Then something clicked. He stood up and said in a low voice, "John Lawson, I've been trying to help you. Instead of working with me, today you insult me and call me names. Until you're ready to make an effort, I'm done with you."

Lawson was stopped dead in his tracks. His shoulders slumped. His face went slack. The tension flew out of him.

The man shuffled like an old man over to the door. Banging on it, he called for the guard.

"Take me back to my cell. Get me the fuck out of here."

Cory tried to assess his tone. It sounded a bit angry until he noticed the higher pitch of his voice. Then Lawson looked over his shoulder at Cory. His face showed his stark fear and the sound in his voice wasn't anger, the man was frantic.

Chapter 12 - Jabez Stone

February 24th

Cory felt a spring in his step as he walked up to Casey's apartment door. They'd texted back and forth and decided to ride together to the restaurant. Cory walked the twelve blocks because it had been such mild weather for Minnesota in the winter. The sun was shining brightly and it was only about thirty-six degrees Fahrenheit. There was a fresh smell to the air.

He knocked on the door and after a few seconds heard murmuring and footsteps. It was Sandy who opened the door. His ex's jet black hair was longer than he remembered and tied back with a leather thong. Sandy's smile wass as open and genuine as Cory can ever remember it. His heart sang with the joy of it.

"Hey Cory," Sandy said. "Come on in. Casey's almost ready."

Sandy stepped aside and as Cory passed him, he could smell the expensive Hugo Boss the Scent wafting off his ex. He gave it to Sandy last Christmas, the last Christmas they spent together. Cory smiled shyly at him and the other man grinned back.

He'd been to Casey's apartment hundreds of times. Cory once joked with a mutual friend Casey's style was 'early, middle, and late beige.' The walls were light tan. There was a light brown piece of driftwood hanging in the entryway. Below it was a chocolate brown table with a beige lamp. The carpet was a dark tan. Cory smiled. Nothing had changed.

That is until he walked into the living room.

He was struck by how integrated Sandy had become in the room. On either side of the enormous wood television stand and shelves, medium brown of course, were two brightly colored blue hurricane lamps, their shades glowing from the inside. Cory had purchased the lamps at an estate sale and outfitted them with electric lights. It was a gift 'on the cheap' when he was a poor student.

They were featured prominently amongst Casey's giant cave of beige, somehow transforming the entire room. Cory looked over and saw the painting, red and exploding from the far wall. It was a local artist's work. He'd been with Sandy when his ex had bought it. The name of it was 'Blood on the Rose' and it was a riot of all different and vibrant shades of red. Again, it looked perfect above Casey's side table made from a door and off white lamp.

As he looked around the room, he saw a stained glass window they picked up outside Sioux Falls at an antique mart. On the wall by the kitchen entrance were Sandy's family photos. His sideboard, painted white and speckled with blue flowers, squatted beneath the pictures and brought light and life to the room.

"You seem to have settled in okay," Cory said catching yet another item and another as he surveyed the room.

“I’m sorry about raiding the condo,” Sandy said as he approached. “I didn’t want a big scene.”

Cory didn’t respond at first. He was still taking in the integration of Sandy with Casey. “I was a little bothered. I’m fine now,” he finally said.

“I want us to be friends, good friends,” Sandy said. Cory smiled at his words. He wanted to feel exactly the same way. Maybe tonight would make that possible.

“I’m ready to scoot,” they heard from the hallway. Both men turned to see Casey walk into the room.

“Hey, Jack,” Cory said with a grin.

“Hi Will,” Casey replied, smirking. For years, they’d called each other pet names from “Will and Grace,” best friends and rivals. Their relationship had endured some pretty rocky times. This was their most difficult challenge though.

“I’ve missed you,” Cory said, his voice becoming thick and syrupy. Seeing his willowy, vivacious friend had affected him deeply. “Looking good.”

“You too,” Casey said, sidling up next to Sandy. Cory felt his heart lurch and stall as the other two men kissed, deeply. It had been a while now. He needed to get past the pain.

Seeing Sandy and Casey linked as one was difficult. A frog was lodged in his throat and wanted desperately to croak. However, Cory swallowed and gave the men a tentative grin.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Sandy asked. He was looking at Cory with a puzzled expression on his handsome, swarthy face. Cory noticed he was sporting a scruffy look these days. It became him.

Casey was looking very trendy as well. He was in tight skinny jeans and a soft looking sweater which highlighted his green eyes. The bright gold of the top clung to his tight torso with a kind of sexual flair.

“I think we are too good of friends to let things bother us,” Cory answered. “Shall we?”

“Okay,” Sandy said, kissing Casey’s mouth chastely. It was the closed mouth smooch which set his heart into motion for Cory. His mind began racing.

The three men went down the hall to the elevator. They chitchatted about their jobs, other friends, and the things that were new in their lives. It was almost like the rift between Sandy and Cory had never happened. For the three of them, a comfortable trio of laughing, sometimes giggling camaraderie was the status quo.

As they approached Sandy’s SUV, Cory walked up to the passenger door and started to open it. Sandy scowled at him as he started to climb inside. Cory felt a hand on his back. He turned.

“I should ride up here,” Casey said.

“Oh,” Cory said, he stepped back. A flush of embarrassment passed over him as he realized what he’d done. It quickly went away and he hopped into the back seat without another word.

***

When they got to the restaurant, they found their reservation had been bumped. In the meantime, the three men went into the bar area to wait.

“I’ll have a martini, Bombay Sapphire with a twist, straight up,” Cory ordered. The bartender nodded and looked at the other two men.

“Really?” Sandy asked, touching Cory’s arm. “A martini?”

“Sure. I haven’t had a night out in some time. I’m splurging,” Cory answered.

Shaking his head, Sandy ordered a club soda with lime. Casey ordered locally made ale. Both of them watched in shock as Cory drank deeply from his martini glass.

“Delicious,” he said turning to Casey. “How’s your work been?”

Casey began talking about his work as an administrative assistant at a Farmers Insurance agency. Cory listened intently and finished his drink rather quickly. He ordered another and turned to Sandy. He asked about the restaurant and nodded along with his ex’s responses.

Before long, the hostess came and got the three men, ushering them to a table. It was by the windows overlooking Powderhorn Lake. The ice covering it was golden from the setting rays of the sun. It was almost glowing as the men sat down and looked out at the view.

“I can see what the draw is for this place,” Casey said, picking up a menu. He flipped back his bangs from his forehead distractedly.

“I know,” Cory said, slurring slightly. “Stunning.”

Sandy was the first to say something. “Are you okay?” he asked, bobbing his head at Cory.

“I’m great,” Cory answered, picking up his drink and finishing it. “This is exactly what I needed.”

They discussed the menu until the waiter arrived. It was an attractive young man with a nametag that declared his name as “Nathan.” Cory was the first to speak.

“I need another martini,” he said flourishing the glass. “Sapphire with a twist.” He handed his empty glass to the man. “You’re very cute.”

The waiter, built like a weightlifter, smiled and blushed a little. “Thanks. Can I get you something to start? We have a nice curried shrimp dish for sharing or a tray of charcuterie perhaps?”

Cory laughed and leaned back, looking at the waiter’s prominent behind. “I like the look of your ham, that’s for sure.” He chuckled loudly as both Casey and Sandy blushed in response.

“Do either of you gentlemen need a beverage?” the waiter asked, flushed pink from Cory’s comment.

“We’re fine,” Casey said. “I think maybe just some water for our friend.”

“Nonsense,” Cory said, waving his hand around. He looked up at Nathan, “A martini, my handsome friend.”

“Very good,” the waiter said and left quickly.

“I think you’ve had enough,” Sandy said over his menu.

“No, I haven’t,” Cory answered him. He looked over the gold embossed page and said, “I think the lamb chops sound good.”

“Let’s get something to start,” Casey said quickly, pointing a finger at Cory. “It wouldn’t hurt.”

“Sure. How about those meats and cheeses?” Cory said. His words came out thick and loud.

“That would be good,” Sandy said. “Some bread to soak everything up.”

Cory ignored their comments and continued to peruse the bill of fare. His eyes would occasionally dart from Sandy to Casey and then back down again.

The waiter returned with Cory’s drink and set it down. “Have you decided on anything yet?”

“I’ll take you,” Cory said, laughing and putting his hand on Nathan’s arm. “Just kidding. We are starting with the charcuterie I think.”

Cory picked up his martini glass and took a heavy swig. He smacked his lips and looked over at Casey and Sandy.

Both men were scowling at him. He shook his head. “What’s wrong?” he asked. He picked up the stemmed glass and it sloshed onto his hand.

“You’re acting strangely tonight,” Sandy said.

“I’m fine,” Cory said shaking his head. He pouted a little and leaned over to touch his ex’s hand. “I’ve been a little lonely since you left.”

Casey immediately grabbed Sandy’s other hand. Cory saw it and a crooked smile crossed his lips.

“I think we should have a three-way,” he said after a moment. “We should ditch this restaurant and go fuck around.”

Casey and Sandy’s mouths both dropped open. They stared at Cory.

“Why not?” Cory said, now slurring badly. “We’re gay. We can do anything we want. Nobody can stop us, right?”

“We need to get you home,” Sandy said. His face was beet-red in embarrassment.

“Now you’re talking,” Cory said, looking at them wolfishly. “I’ve always wanted to get Casey in bed too. Now I can have you both.”

“You get the waiter and I’ll get him out of here,” Sandy said. “Were you drinking before this?”

“I may have had a nip or two,” Cory said, his words coming out mushy. “Why don’t you kiss me, baby?”

Check out the forum thread. I'd love to hear your thoughts on each stage. What are your thoughts about the grieving process? Give us your experiences.
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41607-third-shift/page-2

Copyright © 2016 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was a chapter I almost read through my fingers as I covered my eyes in embarrassment. I feel so bad for Cory, making such a fool of himself like that. Poor thing. He wasn't ready for the friends thing at all. Also, when a relationship ends like that, I doubt they'll ever be ready. It's one thing if the break up is done thoughtfully. Leaving someone for their best friend...? Not so much. Cory shouldn't let Lawson get to him like that. It's scary to see how susceptible he is to whatever that man says. Not good if Lawson realizes just how much...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG ... horrific ... drinking when you're already down, not a good idea. This instant i-am-over-it-and-lets-be-friends, means you're not. You need time to grieve your losses whether it is death or a break-up. Very sad and embarrassing for all and any possible healing that time may have looked after is moot. I doubt whether Sandy or Casey will ever want to give Cory another chance. I'm certain poor Nathan the waiter won't.
This thing Cory has for Lawson is creepy. Cory should be off on sick leave and in therapy but I understand why he's not.
good chapter, Cole

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/21/2016 03:26 AM, Mikiesboy said:

OMG ... horrific ... drinking when you're already down, not a good idea. This instant i-am-over-it-and-lets-be-friends, means you're not. You need time to grieve your losses whether it is death or a break-up. Very sad and embarrassing for all and any possible healing that time may have looked after is moot. I doubt whether Sandy or Casey will ever want to give Cory another chance. I'm certain poor Nathan the waiter won't.

This thing Cory has for Lawson is creepy. Cory should be off on sick leave and in therapy but I understand why he's not.

good chapter, Cole

I was a bartender for eighteen years when I was younger. If I had a nickel for every person who made a fool of themselves over a breakup, I'd be retired now. One of the more difficult things to gauge is how you'll react to a situation especially when your guard is down. In this case, I used alcohol since I'd witnessed it so many times. I'm glad you got through it. Thanks for the lovely review!!!

Link to comment
On 06/21/2016 03:03 AM, Puppilull said:

This was a chapter I almost read through my fingers as I covered my eyes in embarrassment. I feel so bad for Cory, making such a fool of himself like that. Poor thing. He wasn't ready for the friends thing at all. Also, when a relationship ends like that, I doubt they'll ever be ready. It's one thing if the break up is done thoughtfully. Leaving someone for their best friend...? Not so much. Cory shouldn't let Lawson get to him like that. It's scary to see how susceptible he is to whatever that man says. Not good if Lawson realizes just how much...

Cory really is a train wreck in this chapter. I think it's important to note how we sometimes have to hit rock bottom in order to reevaluate things. His attraction to Lawson is another crutch he's using to cope. It's not an attractive scenario, but it happens more often than you'd think. Thanks for the wonderful review!!!

Link to comment

The Faustian tie-in … concepts of bargaining …

 

Evidently, both are rather missing from the surface action of this chapter. What does that mean for us readers, and what's lurking underneath? One overt barging does appear to upset Lawson; the lawyer's pressuring him to plead guilty. But, I feel there is a stronger undercurrent at foot as well. The 'client's' sheer fear as the door is the look that lingers.

 

As for Cory's behavior, the real 'sin' I can see is allowing himself to be pressured into making that call in the first place. He had not real 'point' to win over Lawson. His motivations were entirely wrong, so the outcome was almost doomed to misery at the start. But you wrote it so well; the walking into the familiar – his best friend's place – and finding not only pieces of his ex's life there, but pieces Cory gave him… it broke my heart. I felt for Cory right then. What could be harder, and how could one ever prepare for that kind of shock? The intensively of 'the happy couple' kissing in front of him was just icing on the cake, or more like salt on the margarita rim.

 

So, as far as I'm concerned, we need to cut Cory some slack for his 'scene' at the restaurant; nothing's hurt except Cory's pride. And if 'the happy couple' is too far up their own asses to realize the man is broken-hearted, then they are major jerks. That is, in my humble opinion ;)

 

This is a beautifully crafted installment. I'm glad you're posting this work here for us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/21/2016 12:13 PM, AC Benus said:

The Faustian tie-in … concepts of bargaining …

 

Evidently, both are rather missing from the surface action of this chapter. What does that mean for us readers, and what's lurking underneath? One overt barging does appear to upset Lawson; the lawyer's pressuring him to plead guilty. But, I feel there is a stronger undercurrent at foot as well. The 'client's' sheer fear as the door is the look that lingers.

 

As for Cory's behavior, the real 'sin' I can see is allowing himself to be pressured into making that call in the first place. He had not real 'point' to win over Lawson. His motivations were entirely wrong, so the outcome was almost doomed to misery at the start. But you wrote it so well; the walking into the familiar – his best friend's place – and finding not only pieces of his ex's life there, but pieces Cory gave him… it broke my heart. I felt for Cory right then. What could be harder, and how could one ever prepare for that kind of shock? The intensively of 'the happy couple' kissing in front of him was just icing on the cake, or more like salt on the margarita rim.

 

So, as far as I'm concerned, we need to cut Cory some slack for his 'scene' at the restaurant; nothing's hurt except Cory's pride. And if 'the happy couple' is too far up their own asses to realize the man is broken-hearted, then they are major jerks. That is, in my humble opinion ;)

 

This is a beautifully crafted installment. I'm glad you're posting this work here for us.

There are undercurrents in this chapter. Cory is self-delusional and under a spell, in a way. You picked up on my 'deal with the Devil' idea. More of this comes at the end.

 

I'm glad the scene with him walking into the apartment and seeing the two men melded together worked. I was trying to show and not tell.

 

I agree about cutting Cory some slack. The guy is clearly hurting, coping, and trying to move on with his life. This is an internal struggle I'm portraying. His actions are betraying his emotional state. Many people struggle and I know I have. Mr. Benus, you are a joy. Thanks for a very kind and insightful review. :)

Link to comment

Hmm, from reading the other reviews I've noticed that the Cory-Lawson 'relationship' bothers them... I am therefore wondering what's wrong with me that I don't find it weird so far. I do get that Lawson is like a ticking emotional time bomb that could either end up in violence or tears, but as long as he cannot physically hurt Cory, I'm along for a very intriguing story. And trying to be friends so soon after such a horrible break-up after which there was no communication, cheating and betrayal? It was a recipe for disaster. Poor Cory's going to be mortified. I wish he had changed his mind the moment they decided a song in front of him was an okay way to start repairing their friendships. To be honest, Sandy and Casey don't really seem like people that Cory needs in his life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2016 05:06 AM, bundu_st said:

Hmm, from reading the other reviews I've noticed that the Cory-Lawson 'relationship' bothers them... I am therefore wondering what's wrong with me that I don't find it weird so far. I do get that Lawson is like a ticking emotional time bomb that could either end up in violence or tears, but as long as he cannot physically hurt Cory, I'm along for a very intriguing story. And trying to be friends so soon after such a horrible break-up after which there was no communication, cheating and betrayal? It was a recipe for disaster. Poor Cory's going to be mortified. I wish he had changed his mind the moment they decided a song in front of him was an okay way to start repairing their friendships. To be honest, Sandy and Casey don't really seem like people that Cory needs in his life.

I believe you are right. Flirtations, attractions, and desires are perfectly natural. Lawson and Cory's relationship is supposed to be professional. I think that bothers some readers. Cory isn't doing anything thus far. As you said Lawson's locked up.

 

Cory wants to "fix" things. He thought he could handle Sandy and Casey. We will see how this goes. Thanks so much for the wonderful review! I really appreciate it. :)

Link to comment

Rough chapter to read, but appreciate that it isn't always cotton candy and caramel corn. As far as the Cory/Lawson - Is it a story book scenario or something taboo that happens more frequently then what people want to admit, hence making it uncomfortable. Either way, enjoying the read and glad I popped in looking for something new to read.

Link to comment
On 06/25/2016 03:11 PM, dawn said:

Rough chapter to read, but appreciate that it isn't always cotton candy and caramel corn. As far as the Cory/Lawson - Is it a story book scenario or something taboo that happens more frequently then what people want to admit, hence making it uncomfortable. Either way, enjoying the read and glad I popped in looking for something new to read.

That is so true. Life isn't always a carnival. What Cory and Lawson are dealing with is messy and hard to watch. Yet we all deal with grief throughout our lives. Thanks so much for a very insightful review. I'm glad you stopped in for a visit.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..