Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Third Shift - 9. Chapter 13 Jabez Stone, the Conclusion

When bargaining isn't working, we continue to try. Hail Marys are not out of the question, though sometimes there are damages. These damages can have consequences. Guard Coolidge tries to help Lawson.

Chapter 13 - Jabez Stone

February 25th – 2:48 am

Coolidge heard his stomach gurgle. It made him think about his lunch break which was only about forty-five minutes away. He casually walked down C section. All he heard were the sounds men made while sleeping. Occasionally there was a snore or a rustling of sheets and blankets, but for the most part it was very quiet.

It had taken some time to adjust to working the third shift. His mother called it the ‘graveyard shift’ and didn’t like him doing it. She thought, and had expressed it often; real professionals worked nine-to-five. They didn’t work overnight shifts even though it was actually easier and paid better. The three-dollar differential was a significant bump, especially for a young guy like him. Working the eleven pm to seven am shift gave him extra money. Besides, most of the time all he had to do was this, listen to them sleep.

The idea prompted him to stop in his tracks. Not all of them slept. There were a few who, for whatever reason, couldn’t sleep through the night. He pursed his lips and turned around. Coolidge decided to check on Lawson. It was about the time he usually woke up. He figured he should see how the man was doing. As he rounded the corner, he could hear the usual disturbing sounds.

The Hennepin County Detention Center didn’t have bars and traditional jail cells. They had rooms, secure and bare, but with doors and wire reinforced windows. He walked past three doors peeking in to see men in various normal positions on bunks. At the fourth door, he saw there wasn’t anyone on the bunk. Instead, a man was crouching on the floor, his head in his hands. Coolidge could hear the muffled sobs of the man with the occasional harsh gasp of breath. He touched the door handle, but didn’t move at first.

Wayne Coolidge didn’t know how to react. He knew McDaniel and Lawson had a confrontation. McDaniel refused to say what it entailed. However, he knew the guy was seriously upset from whatever it was Lawson said. A sense of protectiveness washed over Coolidge whenever the slight man was attending to the inmates. He wasn’t sure exactly where it came from.

Coolidge shook the thoughts out of his head and pulled the card out of his holder. He ran the magnetic strip through the reader and heard a click. He then slid the key into the lock. The guard twisted and the speaker came on. “Are you okay?” he asked through the speaker.

Lawson’s sobs stopped. He looked up, wiped his eyes with the back of his hand and looked up at Coolidge. The look of despair was so powerful; Wayne felt his chest seize up.

“Do you need to see a counselor?” Coolidge asked.

Lawson sighed and made a ‘come in’ gesture with his hand. Coolidge nodded and turned the key the other way. He picked up his radio and told the dispatch he was entering the room.

“Roger that. Let me know if you need any backup,” was the response.

Coolidge acknowledged this, and then entered the room. By this time, Lawson had gotten off the floor and was seated on the bed. He was in a kind of defensive posture hunkered over with his face partially hidden by his hands.

“Do you need a counselor, John?”

“I can’t talk to Mr. McDaniel,” Lawson answered. His tone was dead and had no inflection.

“Why?” the guard asked. He kept his distance from the other man. Until the detainee was in restraints, he wouldn’t let slip his wariness. Coolidge had learned this lesson before. These men couldn’t be trusted.

“I fucked things up. I always fuck everything up,” Lawson answered. He choked on a sob.

“What happened?” Coolidge asked, his entire body now tense and with fury growing within.

“I insulted him. I didn’t mean to, but I called him names.”

“Like what?” the guard asked. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall. Coolidge was trying to look casual, but felt anything but.

“I called him ‘gay’,” Lawson said, sniffling, “Only not in those words.”

Coolidge felt his spine stiffen. “What exactly did you call him?”

The other man didn’t respond right away. “I need to talk to someone, I think. I just can’t talk to Mr. McDaniel.”

“He’s not here tonight,” Coolidge said. “But I am. Wanna talk to me or another counselor?”

“I fucked up,” Lawson said, looking up. “The nightmares are getting worse.”

“I thought they were getting a little better,” Coolidge said.

“They were,” Lawson said softly. “Then I got mad again. I pissed off McDaniel.”

The guard watched as the other man struggled with his emotions. It was obvious he was hurting, physically aching from his thoughts. Lawson’s suffering was very apparent.

One of his instructors at college had told him there was more mental illness in prisons and jails than there was in mental treatment facilities. Coolidge recalled the professor had characterized it as this.

“The nature versus nurture argument regarding criminal behavior is absurd. It is like a dog chasing its own tail. If some people are born bad, they will probably find themselves among other people who also are bad. Therefore, their ‘evil’ nature will be buttressed and strengthened. If people are made bad, it is impossible to extract them from their environment. Society will never be able to isolate and neutralize all negative situations. What we as criminal justice professionals must do is twofold. We keep criminals from hurting the innocent. Also, we try to keep criminals from hurting the small part of them that is innocent. Before all else, keep the innocence safe.”

Coolidge could only watch the man for so long. He took a deep breath and said, “Cory is a very forgiving guy. If you say you’re sorry and mean it, I’m sure he’ll accept it.”

Lawson looked up. He seemed almost hopeful for a minute. Then his face sagged. “I don’t deserve it.”

Coolidge thought about his professor’s words. He had really taken them to heart. “John, there is part of you that is good, very good. You need to protect and nurture that part. Don’t let your weakness kill off what’s good in you.”

Lawson stared at the corner above the guard’s head. He swallowed and then his good eye slid down to meet with Coolidge’s. “Do you think so? Would Mr. McDaniel forget about what I said?”

“Cory McDaniel is a good guy. He probably already knows you didn’t mean it.”

“I didn’t,” Lawson said quietly. He looked up and over Coolidge and then said, “Not really.”

One of the most interesting things I had to deal with was the idea of how we view the nature of evil. When I started the story, I wondered this. Is there something innocent inside us all? Are we products of nature or nurture? Or, are we products of our decisions, informed or not?
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41607-third-shift/page-3
What do you think?
Copyright © 2016 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hmm... Is Lawson feeling bad because he was mean to Cory or is he feeling bad because he has lost someone he can talk to and perhaps manipulate...? Regardless, if he apologises to Cory, I hope Cory will not simply forget what happened. That would only make it OK in Lawson's mind to say hurtful things. Getting Lawson to face what he has done will be difficult though. He seems more interested in avoiding the matter after a quick 'I'm sorry'.

Link to comment
On 06/28/2016 04:19 PM, Puppilull said:

Hmm... Is Lawson feeling bad because he was mean to Cory or is he feeling bad because he has lost someone he can talk to and perhaps manipulate...? Regardless, if he apologises to Cory, I hope Cory will not simply forget what happened. That would only make it OK in Lawson's mind to say hurtful things. Getting Lawson to face what he has done will be difficult though. He seems more interested in avoiding the matter after a quick 'I'm sorry'.

I think Lawson realize he screwed up for both reasons. He's grieving as well and we know what Lawson did was bad so he's hurting too. Keep in mind, Lawson has serious issues as shown by his nightmares. I think Coolidge sees some good in him and wants to help. We are approaching the home stretch and I thank you for staying with me. I really appreciate this review.

Link to comment

I'm most struck by Wayne's emotions; why was "his entire body now tense and with fury growing within"? That's so intriguing…what does he have to be angry about…? Hmmm, don’t want you to answer, it just caught my attention straight away.

 

I love the big-picture topic of this chapter. Tell me if the quote you have from the professor is based on something you found in your criminal justice research, or an idea you've had in your head for a while. It's powerful stuff.

 

Can't wait for more. Awesome job.

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 08:38 AM, AC Benus said:

I'm most struck by Wayne's emotions; why was "his entire body now tense and with fury growing within"? That's so intriguing…what does he have to be angry about…? Hmmm, don’t want you to answer, it just caught my attention straight away.

 

I love the big-picture topic of this chapter. Tell me if the quote you have from the professor is based on something you found in your criminal justice research, or an idea you've had in your head for a while. It's powerful stuff.

 

Can't wait for more. Awesome job.

The idea of protecting the innocent is my own gleaned from readings on justice. While there are mixes of good and evil in us all, the good should be kept safe. Some of it also comes from my religious beliefs. We are all capable of being saved and there is something good in all of us. Thanks so much for a wonderful review. It's greatly appreciated AC!

Link to comment

Sorry I thought I reviewed this ... men like Lawson cannot be trusted. Though they may not want to, they can and do lose it easily if they feel cornered or trapped, meaning they are afraid. Without Cory, Lawson is adrift and that's not a good place to be when you're unstable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..