Jump to content

My Only Escape

   (7 reviews)

Every day after school, young Zack runs home after his last class, hoping to avoid his abusive father's rage and avoid anymore physical and emotional bruises at home. It isn't until he meets a beautiful stranger at school that he begins to wonder whether or not he's worth anything at all. Can he live in one world and fantasize about the other? Or will he have to choose?

                                     

                                                                  https://imagine-magazine.org/store/comicality/

Copyright © 2010 Comicality; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (9 members)

  • Action Packed 2
  • Addictive/Pacing 6
  • Characters 6
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 3
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 9
  • Unique 1
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

SilentandBroken

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Frankly it’s Comicality’s best written story for many reasons. Chief among them is the main character. Having been abused and afflicted with PTSD myself, the author can perfectly put the reader in the main character’s shoes during panic attacks and depression. The doubt and struggle of  hyper arousal and hypersensitivity and anxiety… sigh. The stress of all that is a very heavy weight to adequately describe to someone who is fortunate enough to not experience it. I can honestly tell you that there are thoughts that run through your mind during each of those times that outside of those bouts, are thoughts you’d never fathom of having let alone remember very clearly. But the author did it. It’s clear he created this story off his own horrific experiences and my heart aches he had to go through it. It just further shows those of us afflicted are truly not alone. No matter how much we feel we are. Getting back to the story itself. The story building and character building really made me feel like I was part of this story and that is not something I can say is done by many authors. Sure I might have allowed my biases from my personal experiences play a part there but it is what I felt. As grateful as I am for side stories on the other characters and their vantage points on this story, because they are really really good too, Zach is…sigh.. you can’t help but want to just hold him and rock him. I feel he is without question the strongest character Comicality has ever written. I only wish there were more stories, a continuation if you will. But the author has confirmed that this is complete. Alas if only one day he changes his mind…(hint hint 😘)

just read it already 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Cane23

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This story made a huge impression on me. I could almost feel all the pain, anger and suffering the main character feels. Only after discovering that author wrote out of personal experience, I could understand why abusing and molesting scenes are so realistic.

It is the end, when Zack reaches the edge and point of no return, when he confront abuser, without fear for his life anymore because life he lived is not worth living…that give us final satisfaction, relief and hope for better future.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
mikeuniqueac

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Excellent! What can I say? This story was extremely difficult to get through. There is no greater pain or trauma than what can come from our own blood. This captured so deeply the constant hunger and fear that leaves one numb eventually. It is a death by a thousand literal and figurative cuts. You can be proud of the soul-strength it took to survive, and the continued determination to not only survive, but thrive. Those of us who are able to escape the darkness and weight of childhood abuse do so through constantly reminding ourselves "we are worthy!" May all who "recognize" the journey traveled in this story, find the strength, peace, and love to let the past be a chapter, not their entire story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
haines87

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

what can I say? Other than this book was masterfully written. as a reader you can feel the true anguish that the author is expressing. It makes you want to hug the author and tell them that they are truly special. but be worn it's a hard read you will need a lot of tissues. and it makes you look and really think about what Zack went through during his childhood. Yes I would highly recommend this book but with a warning of be prepared for lot of tissues in your trash can by the end of the book.

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
Md1

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

One of the most moving stories I have ever read. A very well written addictive story, that sounds as if it was truly told from the heart. While certain passages are difficult to deal with, and can be upsetting, it is important to understand what some people have deal with.

You feel as you actually a part of Zack's life, you will live the highs and the lows, the ups and the downs you will feel like you actually know Zack. The author paints such a detailed picture of  Zach, his friends, and their surroundings that you feel that you are actually a part of Zack's world.

This story is well worth the time it takes to read it, and if you have got as far as reading the reviews, and still haven't made up your mind to read the story, I urge you to do so ... You will not be disappointed.

  • Like 1
  • Love 9
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

I gave you 5 stars not only for the topic of this story but also for the endurance you went through in having to write it. I recommend this story to any reader who has been through this kind of torture. This is a story of Zack going through a touchy kind of horror at the hands of a family member. With the love of Brody and a friend (Adam) and his mom, he finally got brave enough to make it stop. Violence doesn't help but it sometimes makes you grow up faster and helps you realize that you can be the person you have always wanted to be even though sometimes it has to be put into writing. 

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Link to review
weinerdog

· Edited by weinerdog

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

My review won't do this story justice but I'll try.First this is a really really tough topic that's all too real but it has be talked about and never ignored although it is way too often.

The story centers around Zack and the way the authors able to express the raw emotion felt by Zack tells me that this author was very close to a situation like this be it a relative, friend or maybe even...well I'll leave it there. As a reader you will feel very vividly what Zack was feeling on an everyday basic.Some chapters will make you cry and feel exhausted.

What made Zack soldier on besides his own self defense mechanisms was when he met what looks to be the love of his life in Brody who was perfect is role also two very fiercely loyal friends in Adam and Sam if Zack didn't have them this could have very easily been a different outcome.

Seriously I could have given this 10 stars but it only allows us to give 5.Certain parts of the ending may surprise you at times reading this will be tough but hang in there it will be well worth it

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 7
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..