Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,270 Words
  • 7,267 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 28. Chapter 28 - Outings and Homecoming

It is the last few days before Christmas and Barbara is due home. However, Charlie has been outed at work and there is a surprise for Charlie in the making.

Chapter 28 – Outings and Homecoming

The school week was going to be a short one for Charlie and he was grateful. School let out on Wednesday and Christmas Eve was Friday. Knowing that Wednesday was a half day he expected many of his students to start their vacation early.

The kids came in buzzing on Monday morning.

“My mom and dad are taking the family down to Disney. I can’t wait,” Debbie was telling Maya as they headed to the coat closet in the back of the room.

“My grandparents are coming over,” Tony announced to no one in particular as he rushed into the classroom.

Charlie just kept a running tab on the kids as they came in, realizing that he had only fourteen student’s today. Good thing I planned this week as a filler.

Charlie did review work with the students and kept things pretty easy. He was grateful in a way that it was going to be an easy week. He was going to be running around trying to finish his Christmas shopping and Barbara was due home tonight as well.

The kids were bouncing with excitement. He had to tell Peter three times to sit down, and Maggie kept running to look for snow every time he turned to work with someone on the opposite side of the room. By lunch time, Charlie was as ready to leave as his students were.

“Hey, Charlie. Do you have a minute?”

Charlie looked up to find Samantha standing just outside his doorway. She was leaning against the doorway, arms crossed, and looking puzzled. She was tapping her toe and picking her nail.

“What is up, Sam?”

“Um, I just heard the strangest thing.”

Charlie stood watching Sam. She refused to look him in the eye now and just kept shuffling from foot to foot. Something is wrong and she just doesn’t want to tell me.

“Spill it Sam. You are no good at beating around the bush.”

Sam sighed, walked into the room, and gently closed the door behind her. She strolled over to the desk closest to Charlie’s and leaned against it. Her usual playful banter and teasing manner were nowhere to be seen.

“Charlie it is all over school. Are you dating Scott?”

Charlie laughed. Was this what the strained look on Samantha’s face was all about?

Samantha looked up and finally faced Charlie.

“Yes, Sam. I’m dating Scott.”

“Oh. But I thought you had been dating Tina?” She asked quietly.

“I was. This is … well, something new to me, Samantha. I’ve never dated a guy before. Never wanted to. Why the questions though?”

“Well you were seen with him at the fair and one of the students has been saying he saw you with Scott Reeds at the movies.”

“Ah. Life in a small town.” Charlie smiled as he realized there were no secrets in the school or town. “Yes, those are places Scott and I have been. You can tell anyone who asks it is true. The student’s aren’t lying.”

“Oh,” Samantha said as she blushed. The color of her cheeks nearly matched the dark cherry red sweater she was wearing.

Charlie glanced at the clock. He had to get going in order to pick up his students from the lunch assistant.

“Gotta run, Sam. Otherwise I will be late for my students. Any other questions?”

“No … oh sorry.”

Sam moved quickly keeping her eyes from Charlie as she fled the room. Charlie could only laugh as he realized the entire school would soon know for sure he was in a relationship with Scott.

“Oh well,” he sighed and hurried to go get his class.

The rest of the day passed quickly and Charlie was ready to run as soon as the last student was on the bus. Satchel in hand, Charlie headed straight to his car. He paused a moment as his cell phone rang.

“Hello,” Charlie said as he shuffled his satchel from one hand to the other so he could open the car door.

“Hi Charlie.”

“Dad? Is something wrong? I’m on my way over to your place now.”

“Nah, just wanted to let you know they let your mother come home early. Didn’t want you to feel you had to come over is all.”

“More like Mom is pushing her agenda already.”

Joe laughed.

“Something like that.”

“She is probably either standing right there or sitting alongside of you. Tell her to forget it. I’ll see you both soon.”

“I figured as much.” Joe said laughing as he hung up the phone.

Charlie shook his head and put his stuff on the floor of the front seat. He drove straight to his parents’ house.

He was barely out of the car when he spotted Rick Junior’s car pulling up behind him. He waited and Rick nearly bounded out of the car.

“Hey Unc. I'm so glad to see you. Did they tell you yet?”

“Tell me what?”

“About Ben?”

Charlie shook his head and leaned back against his car.

“Ben is going to be given another opportunity to audition for the judges. It will be in mid January. It doesn’t give him much time to get back in shape but the doctors finally cleared him to begin swimming again today. I’m so,” Rick began as he threw his arms around Charlie, “damn happy for him.”

“Ah,” Charlie managed to gasp out as Rick hugged him tightly. “I’m happy for you too. Do you think you could let me breathe now, Rick? Please.”

“Opps. Sorry, Uncle Charlie.”

“So how goes the court case? Or should I ask?”

“Not sure. For most of it Ben and I can’t be in the courtroom. Evie keeps telling us everything is going well.”

“Evie? Who is Evie?”

“Oh, that is right. I keep forgetting you haven’t been there for all of it. Evie is the lawyer Grandpa knows. She is a great lady. Really sort of sweet, but watching her go up against some of those guys makes you wonder. For a little lady she sure packs one hell of a delivery.”

“Oh, Evie Zachery. I remember her. She usually comes to the Christmas party that Mom and Dad throws each year. I didn’t realize she handled that sort of law.”

“She normally doesn’t. Grandpa says she is more corporate law but the senior member of a large law office in Ronkonkoma. When she wants something done it gets done.”

“Hey, you two idiots, get the hell inside. It is cold out there. Do you want me to come out and get you?” Barbara called from the front doorway.

“I think your Grandmother means us,” Charlie said with a laugh.

“Yeah, I don’t think there are two other idiots around,” Rick Jr. said shaking his head.

The two of them rushed to the doorway, pausing only long enough to kiss Barbara on their way in.

“You realize just about anything you told Charlie you are going to be made to repeat for us all anyway.”

Rick Jr. blushed, nodded, and hurried into the living room, taking off his jacket as he went.

“Mom, do you have to do that to him?”

“You should know better. What is it with you? Standing outside in the cold like that! Are you trying to get a cold? And me just getting home.”

“No, and don’t go pulling that ‘poor weak me’ stuff. Cameron already stated he has never seen someone bounce back so quickly at your age.”

“Damn. That man has a bigger mouth than I thought.”

Charlie smiled and leaned in and kissed his mother’s cheek.

“How are you feeling anyway, Mom?”

“Damn good if you must know. I was just hoping for a bit of a break. Nearly everyone was at the rehab center last night, so I managed to convince most not to bother me tonight.”

“I promise not to stay long.”

“You know that isn’t what I meant.”

“I know. Relax, Mom. Just wanted to stop in and see you. Besides, this is the last chance I’ll get to see you before Friday night and the party.”

“You knew I wouldn’t cancel it?”

“I know you, Mom. There is no way you would cancel it. Why do you think I have all those extra cookies made in your freezer? I had Becca and Kathy make up your banana bread and the carrot bread already, and they froze them as well.”

“Charlie, you keep anticipating things like this and people will suspect you of reading minds.”

Charlie rolled his eyes and laughed.

“Don’t you roll your eyes at me.” Barbara giggled and slapped Charlie’s arm. Then she led him into the living room where some of the family sat waiting.

“I’ve brought the missing one,” Barbara said as she dragged Charlie in.

Rebecca, Kathy, Rick Jr., Bobby, and Jeanette sat or stood all around Joe. There was an empty seat waiting for Barbara.

“Hey there, Son. Glad you could make it.”

“Like I was going to stay away. Mom should know me better by now,” Charlie joked as he walked over and hugged Bobby and then Jeanette.

“So how is my favorite brother in law?” Jeannette asked as she sat back down beside Bobby.

“You say that to all your brother-in-laws,” answered Charlie as he chuckled. “I’m doing okay although most of my students are starting their holiday early.”

“Lucky you. Your job is winding down for the holidays as ours blows up,” said Rick with shake of his head.

“Well, that is only till you get a job after college. Besides I doubt you want to be waiting tables when you have a degree,” Bobby said as he smiled at his nephew.

“Yeah, don’t complain. I’ve graduated and still can’t find a job I like. Trust me having a degree and working at Starbucks isn’t exactly glamorous,” complained Becca.

“Stop it. No complaining, now gang. Your Grandmother is just home and I don’t want her upset!”

“Relax, Joe. I promise not to get going. All I do want to know is has everyone done a grab bag this year or are we all buying each other gifts?”

Crap. I knew there was something I wanted to do while I had the whole family here last time.

“I don’t think any of us were thinking that far ahead. With only till Friday to shop I don’t think everyone is going to be running around to buy gifts before your party anyway, Mom.”

“Well the party on Friday is for everyone. Besides, you know we never exchange family gifts till Christmas day anyway.”

“True.”

“Grandma is it okay if I invite the Benjamins?”

“No, you can’t invite the Benjamins. I have already sent them the invite. They were all mailed out before I had my … alright before I had the heart attack.”

Everyone seemed a bit uncomfortable at that announcement from Barbara.

“Look, all of you. I had a heart attack. I can’t deny it. Don’t walk on egg shells around me and try to ignore that. Besides if you aren’t good I’ll show all of you my scar.”

“Mom!” yelled Bobby and Charlie together

“Grandma!” called Kathy, Rebecca, and Rick Jr. in shock as well.

“Barbara will you stop scaring the kids,” Joe said trying hard not to laugh as he noted the shocked expression on everyone else’s faces.

Everyone broke down into laughter as they realized Barbara was kidding. The family sat talking, discussing the upcoming holidays, gift ideas, and what they would be wearing on Friday for the family party. As they noticed Barbara’s dropping eyelids the family began to make their way out to the cars.

“Charlie, can I talk to you for a moment before you run off?”

“Sure, Dad. What’s up?”

“Just giving you a heads up. I’m not sure who your mother invited but she commented she hoped it wouldn’t cause a problem but it was sort of too late now.”

Oh lord. What did Mom do to me now?

“I’m sure everything will be okay. No worries, Dad.”

“Scott is coming isn’t he?”

“Yes, he is coming. I also invited his staff, Dad. They are sort of his family and I figured you all should meet them as well.”

“No problem,” Joe began.

“There are never too many people,” Joe and Charlie finished off Barbara’s favorite saying together breaking into laughter as they did.

“Alright. Just wanted to let you know what you are in for.”

Joe gave Charlie a hug as he headed back out to his car. Charlie was glad to see his mother was in good spirits. He knew his father would take care of her so she would be ready for the party on Friday. Now he just had to finish picking up gifts for the family, Scott, Julie, and Nick. There was one little nagging thought in Charlie’s head now. Just who did Mom invite to the Christmas party?

So Charlie has a surprise coming for him on Christmas Eve and somehow Santa isn't it. Just who is due to arrive at the Wagner Christmas Party? All these questions are tied up in the next chapter. Comments are always welcome. If you enjoyed feel free to click.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

i know who's coming.. me me me!!! :P

tara and/or cameron, yeah? :P

pls say yes!! ^_^

really love the family! lol so much better now that Rick Sr is in line. lol

cant wait for THE Christmas party!

Link to comment
On 10/23/2011 01:10 PM, Frostina said:
i know who's coming.. me me me!!! :P

tara and/or cameron, yeah? :P

pls say yes!! ^_^

really love the family! lol so much better now that Rick Sr is in line. lol

cant wait for THE Christmas party!

Well glad you will be around for the party. Cameron should be there I suppose. :D I'm so glad you enjoy the Wagner clan. They have been a great deal of fun. Thanks as always for the review, Frosty.
Link to comment

What a nice short chapter :P (JK) I really like how Scott handled the questions at school, I was worried when that would happen but he handled it so well, very head-on.

Oooh guess who's comming to dinner? Cameron? Tina? Sidney Poitier? hehe :lol:

Link to comment
On 10/24/2011 01:18 AM, K.C. said:
What a nice short chapter :P (JK) I really like how Scott handled the questions at school, I was worried when that would happen but he handled it so well, very head-on.

Oooh guess who's comming to dinner? Cameron? Tina? Sidney Poitier? hehe :lol:

lol. Everyone is always saying my chapters are short. LOL. Well you will have to wait to see who is coming to the party. Unfortunately, you are showing our ages with the Sidney Poitier reference. :) Ah well, not much left but I always try to keep a surprise or two right up till the end.
Link to comment
On 10/25/2011 05:37 AM, Elezbed said:
ohhhhhhhh A big Christmas Party!!! I can't wait to see what is going to happen :P
well the chapter should be out later this week. Glad you have been enjoying the story. :)
Link to comment
On 10/30/2011 10:01 PM, Agaith said:
Ooooh so who is coming? When's the next chapter? Tell me? :P Tell me tell me tell me :P lol
Sorry Stu, usually the new one goes up today but running long on the chapter. As for who it is, well you will just have to read. :lol:
Link to comment

I get the sneeking suspicion that Andrew is going to be making another appearance. No time to doddle. Another chapter awaits!

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 11:27 AM, MidnightMan said:
I get the sneeking suspicion that Andrew is going to be making another appearance. No time to doddle. Another chapter awaits!
Aw. Glad you read and you can see sometimes the minor characters are just that. Minor. Hope you enjoyed it all.
Link to comment

So, maybe Tina and Ted/ Everyone need to get their friendship back on track. Can't wait for the party tho! :)

Link to comment
On 11/07/2012 03:22 AM, joann414 said:
So, maybe Tina and Ted/ Everyone need to get their friendship back on track. Can't wait for the party tho! :)
lol. I don't give teasers but enjoy.
Link to comment

I agree with Joann its got to be Tina and Ted since they cone every year. I think they are worried for nothing at least not on Charlies end anyway but maybe Tinas though

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 02:48 PM, Daithi said:
I agree with Joann its got to be Tina and Ted since they cone every year. I think they are worried for nothing at least not on Charlies end anyway but maybe Tinas though
Time will tell. Glad you are enjoying. Getting near the end now.
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 08:12 PM, Suvitar said:
I have a theory about Tina....I should just keep on reading :P Only few more chapters.
A theory about Tina? What did she do?
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..