Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 3,158 Words
  • 9,005 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 10. Chapter 10 - Making Sense

In the aftermath of the party Charlie gets a visitor. The talks that follow begin to make Charlie realize that even in his life things are not so simple

Chapter 10 – Making Sense

The party had been on Charlie’s mind for two days now. When his mother had pushed to make sure he was going to be there, Charlie had figured that his mother wanted him to stop moping about Tina. Now, however, he couldn’t help but realize that the party had forced so many of his family members to show their true colors.

He hadn’t been the least bit surprised that his mother and father took everything in stride. There seemed to be very little that would upset either of them. Rick had freaked out once the news that his niece was gay. After the party he had tried to complain to both his parents and Bobby and Jeanette, but they all told him to stop and look around him. This wasn’t her doing anything more than being herself, and finding someone to share her life with.

The more Rick had screamed that this was wrong and no one should be accepting it, the worse Rick Jr. looked. The man had looked strained when he walked in, but shortly after the announcement Rick Jr. looked like he would have preferred to hide in a hole. When his father left, Rick Jr. collapsed in the corner and Kristy tried to improve his mood.

All that sudden pain and drama wasn’t something Charlie was used to. Usually, the family pulled together and celebrated everything. Now, there seemed to be a big divide between them. Instead of turning his attention to the love and support he usually found with family, he found himself focused on his students.

The days were getting colder, and the kids were coming in now with their winter coats on. November had been chilly and the leaves seemed to be falling all at one time. The class had made a project of collecting leaves and drawing the different types they found. At least at work he was able to relax and just let his mind focus on his students.

As he was enjoying his lunch period, Marie wandered over to give him a notice. On Friday there would be an assembly for the students. One of the local stores was putting together an outreach program to help students learn to read. The owner would be there to read one a book from a local children’s author and help set up the program. Parents were being invited in, and there would be snacks for all the students involved in the assembly. Oh well, there goes Friday’s plans. Good thing that at this level it isn’t too hard to switch things up.

“Hi, Charlie, I’m glad I caught you,” the voice of Samantha cut through the peace of the teacher's room. She was one of the first grade teachers and was a year older than Charlie. She was also single, and always looking for someone new to date. Oh lord, please don’t let her know. I’m so not ready for anyone to start hitting on me.

“Hi, Sam. Was there something you needed? I was just about to clean up and try to get a few things ready for my class.”

“I just wanted to say I was sorry to hear you and Tina broke up. We were surprised you didn’t tell us, but Lisa, you know the fifth grade math teacher, she ran into Tina at the market and they got to talking. She found out that you had just broken up. I’m here if you need someone to talk to.” As she finished her commentary she reached out and gently grasped Charlie’s hand.

I so don’t need this now. Why can’t my business stay my business? Then again, if someone farts on the playground the whole school knows about it before the end of the day; Guess I was lucky to have this long before the vultures begun to circle me.

Charlie looked up at Sam’s face and smiled. “Thanks, Samantha. I’m doing just fine though. You will excuse me though; I have to get things set up. You know how active my students are.”

“Oh, of course, but remember if you need me just call.”

Charlie nodded and smiled as he walked back to his classroom. Yes, I can call and get locked into a relationship I know I don’t want at all. Thank goodness the kids will be back shortly. Charlie walked around the room cleaning off the desks, straightening piles of work, and just cleaning up what he felt looked messy. He realized he was hiding out from Sam and any other prospects that might put their sights on him. Charlie was so not ready to deal with them.

The knock on the door made him twist so fast he nearly fell. Standing in the doorway was Marie.

“Sorry, Charlie. I hear the news is spreading like wildfire. I’m sorry you and Tina broke up. Is that what has had you so distracted?”

“Oh. I didn’t think it showed so clearly.”

“To most it wouldn’t, but honey, I’ve been here through more teachers, administrators, and students. I can tell when someone is not putting forth their all. Just remember you have people who are worried about you. And try to stay away from the sharks like Samantha. You know the minute she knows she will be after you like white on rice.”

Charlie looked at Marie and laughed. “Too late. She heard and made a point of trying to come on to me today.”

Marie just smiled and nodded. She waved as she spotted the class coming back with the lunch aide. Charlie was soon lost in laughter and games as the kids played inside because of the rain that had started.

After getting the last child onto the bus at the end of the day, Charlie noticed the crowd of female teachers gathering near the main entrance to the school. As he did, he took note that the ones that had begun to gather were all the single teachers. He knew if he went in that way he was going to be swamped and he wasn’t looking forward to it. Luckily he was saved by Marie.

“Charlie, could you come to the office right away,” she called from the doorway.

“Sure, on my way, Marie.”

The group of single teachers moved to allow him passage, but not one looked happy to do so.

“What is up, Marie?”

“Nothing, just figured you needed an out. Slide down to your classroom and get out of here as quickly as possible. If you need to start taking your class out the emergency door like so many of the others on your side of the building. Lock your inner door when you go. That way you can come back in that door and avoid the vultures. Only you know the rules state you can only go out that door till Thanksgiving vacation, or the first snow storm, whichever happens first.”

“Thanks again, Marie. I owe you one.”

“You don’t owe me anything; just try to keep yourself out the hands of some of those vultures. Most of those women are so nice, but once Samantha gets them going you are like a piece of cheesecake in front of a group of dieters- in deep trouble. “ Marie started to laugh at her own joke as Charlie hurried to grab his stuff so he could slide out to his car before they realized he was gone.

Relief flooded his body when he finally got home and closed the door behind him. For a change, he had managed to get caught up and had no homework himself. He put his bag down near the door and went into the bedroom to strip. He had just passed the doorway of his bedroom when the phone rang.

“Hello,” Charlie called into the phone.

“Hi, Unc,” came the voice on the phone. It was hard to immediately place. It sounded raspy on the phone.

“Ricky?”

“Yeah, um, I know it isn’t usually me who swings by to talk or see you, but would you mind? I sort of need someone to talk to?”

“Rick, you know you can come see me anytime you want. When do you want to come over?”

“Um, is now too soon?”

“Sure, I’ll put a pot of coffee on and see you when you get here.”

Okay, that wasn’t what I was expecting. Usually if Ricky Jr. has a problem he goes to Mom, Kristy, or hell anyone else. I wonder why he choose me to talk to. Guess I’ll know when he gets here. I guess my shower will have to wait too. Oh well, family does come first.

Charlie padded out to the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee. He had made a peach pound cake last night just to keep busy. He sliced a few pieces put them on a plate and set it on the kitchen table. If it looked like Ricky was going to be there for a while he could always order a pizza. As the last drips of coffee fell there was a knock on his door.

“Hi Rick,” Charlie said as he opened the door to find Rick standing soaking wet in his building’s hallway.

“Hi Unc. Hope you don’t mind. Sort of got soaked coming up from the car.”

“Get in here. Don’t worry about the water. Follow me in, I’ll grab you a towel. I’m sure you will fit in my sweats and an old tee shirt. If you stay in those clothes you will catch a cold and your grandmother will kill me.”

Rick just nodded and followed him into the bedroom. Rick was taller and broader so he found his largest shirt and sweats to hand over. Charlie grabbed him a fresh towel and pushed him into the bathroom to go change. While Rick was busy Charlie nervously cleaned up his living room, straightening up things that were already neat and tidy.

“I feel like I robbed a midget.”

Charlie turned to find Rick standing in his bedroom door. The sweats, which swam on him, were about an inch or so short on Rick. The tee shirt fit like a second skin. Charlie laughed as Rick self-consciously tried to pull the shirt further down. He went into the bathroom and grabbed Rick’s clothing. The pants and all he could toss in his tiny dryer. The shirt though was silk so he hung it up near the heat to dry.

“It won’t be long till you can get back into your own clothing. Have a seat in the mean time and tell me what brought you here. I mean, I love any of you coming by, but to be honest you never have been.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just, well, you always seem like you don’t need anyone. I mean I know Kathy and Becca are really close to you, but other than Kristy you don’t seem to mix with the rest of us.”

Charlie paused. He really stopped to think about what Rick had told him. Was it true? He loved all of his nieces and nephews, but he didn’t think he was standoffish with any of them. Heck, he probably had to work harder with Rick and William to figure out gifts to get them, and even to talk to them at times. Was he really that standoffish to family?

“I never tried to be Rick. Honest. Most of the time we are all just thrown together, and everyone knows the family. Me being so much younger, I was treated more like your brother than your uncle. But every time anyone needs anything you all come to me.”

“Yeah, I guess that is true, but you never come to any of us. I finally asked Becca if you tell her when you have a problem. She stopped and really thought about it. She admitted you don’t seem to tell anyone. She thinks you internalize it all, but she said if I needed to talk to someone in the family about a problem the best two people were either Grandma or you.”

Charlie blushed. He didn’t think he was anywhere near his mother’s level when it came to problem solving. He was surprised Becca would say something like that.

“Well,” began Charlie trying to work past his embarrassment,” what did you need to talk about?”

“Dad and Ben.”

“Okay. So fill me in here Rick, who is Ben?”

“Ben is… I mean Ben was my… boyfriend.”

Charlie waited. He could see the struggle going on with Rick. He wouldn’t push anything; just let Rick tell him what he needed to.

“I guess you figured out that I had a break up. It was… I don’t know.”

“Rick, I sure as hell am not an expert on relationships. You know Tina is the only person I was ever with and as I look over it, hell, I was a mess.”

“But Unc, he was my first guy, ever. Hell, I didn’t even know I was bi till I met Ben. We were in math class together. At first we hung out and helped each other out. You know I hate math but need the class for my degree.”

Charlie sat back and watched Rick. As he talked his shoulders relaxed and some of the pain in his face was easing. Charlie knew this was what Rick needed more than anything. Charlie only wished Rick had been able to do it with his father instead of him.

“So, you know how it is. We were drunk and he turned to me one night and told me he found me damn sexy. I thought he was joking, but he leaned in to kiss me. At first I was going to knock his lights out, but then I found myself liking it, and I didn’t know what to do. I mean, Unc, it was so passionate and I felt so excited, but it scared me. After we kissed I took off. I hid from him for a week.”

Charlie wondered what it would be like to be kissed by someone and feel that passionate about it.

“When I came back and we talked, he came out to me. He is gay. Always had been, but had been afraid to admit it to anyone. He is twenty-two, and younger than me, but he is so much more grown up than I am Uncle Charlie.”

“So what happened that ended it?”

“I was stupid. Someone at the campus came on to him in front of me. Made some really erotic comments and told Ben he could treat him as he deserved to be treated. Ben kept waiting for me to tell the guy off, tell him we were involved. I didn’t say a word. Ben figured if I didn’t want anyone to know about us, well, he would help me keep it that way. He broke it off with me completely. Told me to grow a set and either admit I was bi or gay. Or stay straight, and he told me not to hurt anyone else.”

“Well are you bisexual? Do both sexes get to you? Or is it only Ben that does it for you?”

Now it was my turn to feel uncomfortable. Rick sat there and stared at me. I wasn’t sure, but I felt like he was judging me somehow.

“You know something Unc, I don’t know. I haven’t ever considered another guy before, or since. There was just something about Ben.”

“Okay, so what about your dad? What is your problem with him?”

“Are you kidding? Did you see how he reacted to Becca’s news? How do you think he will react to my news? He’ll fucking kill me. I mean it. He will cut me off. Won’t pay for college, and sure as hell won’t allow me back in the house.”

Charlie thought about it. Rick was probably right. His brother would blow a gasket. There is no way on earth that he would allow Rick Jr. back into the house. He knew his mother and father would step in. Rick would always have a home, and he would finish college, but he might end up forever split from his father.

“I don’t know what to tell you about your father. He is definitely his own man. You know his attitudes are his own. He is the only one who freaked out over Becca’s news. The question is, Rick, do you want to repair your relationship with Ben? If you do, will he be your friend, or do you want it to be as your boyfriend? Are you willing to give up the things you would have as a straight man and live the life of a gay to be with him?”

Charlie couldn’t believe he was asking these questions of Rick. Where am I getting this all from? I never act this way? I sure as hell hope this isn’t hurting Rick.

“To be honest, Unc, I’m not sure.”

Charlie left Rick to think about what they had been talking about. He noticed Rick had finished off the coffee and eaten all the cake he had set out. While Rick was lost in thought, Charlie ordered a pizza to be delivered, and as an afterthought added a bottle of soda to the order.

It wasn’t long till the food arrived. Rick was surprised, he hadn’t noticed Charlie order it and offered to pay half, but Charlie waved him off. The two sat and ate. Then watched movies together in silence.

“Would you mind if I stayed here with you for a few days, Unc?”

“If it will give you the time and space you need, Rick, of course you can stay.”

“I’ll take your couch.”

“The hell you will Rick. You take the bed. I can sleep on the couch. The big question is what are you going to do about clothing?”

Charlie looked at Rick in his clothing. There was no way Rick could go out in his clothing. The shirt was an inch too short, and showed off Rick’s flat belly and a bit of his treasure trail. Charlie noted he had thick hair like his father, but the color was dark black like his mother’s.

“I, umm... have a bag packed in my car. I just didn’t want take any chances. I figured if you said no I would go see Grandma.”

Charlie shook his head. At least he knew he wasn’t a last resort with his nieces and nephews.

“Go get your bag. I have a spare key for the apartment in the drawer by the door. Grab it on your way out. I’m going to take a shower and get changed. Then the bedroom will be all yours.”

Rick went for the key as Charlie headed into the bedroom. Charlie wondered how his life kept getting so complicated so fast.

So Charlie is offering out advice to his nephew. Tell me what you think? Feel free to leave comments and I'm always happy if you like the story so much you add a point to it. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

oh wow! Talk about complications!

 

Keep 'em coming wayne! ^_^ liking it a bit too much! :D

 

Feel so bad for Rick Jr. poor guy! :(

Link to comment
On 05/25/2011 08:19 AM, Frostina said:
oh wow! Talk about complications!

 

Keep 'em coming wayne! ^_^ liking it a bit too much! :D

 

Feel so bad for Rick Jr. poor guy! :(

I'm working hard on them Frosty. My editor is catching up and beta is begging me to slow down. lol.
Link to comment

Guess we won't have to try too hard to figure out who the bookstore owner is :lol:. Loved it, more twists and turns for our poor Charlie. I was so :D when I saw 2 new chapters posted today.

Link to comment
On 05/25/2011 09:36 AM, saintsfan820 said:
Guess we won't have to try too hard to figure out who the bookstore owner is :lol:. Loved it, more twists and turns for our poor Charlie. I was so :D when I saw 2 new chapters posted today.
Yes I had been busy. Unfortunately, my first editor had to back out so I needed a new one. I kept writing till I found one and now as soon as they are edited they are posted. Glad you are enjoying it and getting the story so fast. And yes, Scott is the store owner. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I think when Charlie gets to hear his own advice thrown back at him he's going to feel like a dolt. That is, unless you are all throwing us for a loop with Mr. Reed. Hm... reading on to find out!! I wonder what Barbara was getting up to with her 'thank you note'.

Link to comment
On 06/09/2011 03:59 AM, Cia said:
I think when Charlie gets to hear his own advice thrown back at him he's going to feel like a dolt. That is, unless you are all throwing us for a loop with Mr. Reed. Hm... reading on to find out!! I wonder what Barbara was getting up to with her 'thank you note'.
Oh have no fear. I never like loose ends and love to tie everything up when i can.
Link to comment

hmm maybe Scott will see Rick Junior and jump to conclusions too lol really enjoying the ride so far looking forward to more :)

Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 11:24 PM, Agaith said:
hmm maybe Scott will see Rick Junior and jump to conclusions too lol really enjoying the ride so far looking forward to more :)
Behave. Charlie is a sweet heart. There is no hanky panky with the family here. Geez.
Link to comment

Stu's comment made me smile- I thought it but wasn't going to go there. :devil: Maybe since Charlie is so oblivious in life that seeing his reaction to Ricky Jr will open his mind to possiblities that he has never considered. You don't go into great discriptiive details on Charlie but judging by the female teachers reaction, he's worth the hunt! :)

Link to comment
On 08/12/2011 08:11 AM, K.C. said:
Stu's comment made me smile- I thought it but wasn't going to go there. :devil: Maybe since Charlie is so oblivious in life that seeing his reaction to Ricky Jr will open his mind to possiblities that he has never considered. You don't go into great discriptiive details on Charlie but judging by the female teachers reaction, he's worth the hunt! :)
Sometimes less is more. I don't have to paint a detailed picture. I told you his hair, eyes, and height, that he is thin and cute. You can easily fill in the details beyond that to make Charlie live for you.
Link to comment

Hmm shades of advice to come, perchance??? Will Rick Jr. give Unc the same advice as Charlie gave him?? Stay tuned Batfans, more is on the way :P

 

Sorry, just a silly moment, but interesting that Rick Jr. told him. How much of - tell Charlie or Granny is true and how much is tell Charlie cause he's m age and hmm i sense he might be just like me. :whistle:

 

Evil Comic leaving us so befuddled.

Link to comment
On 10/15/2011 01:37 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Hmm shades of advice to come, perchance??? Will Rick Jr. give Unc the same advice as Charlie gave him?? Stay tuned Batfans, more is on the way :P

 

Sorry, just a silly moment, but interesting that Rick Jr. told him. How much of - tell Charlie or Granny is true and how much is tell Charlie cause he's m age and hmm i sense he might be just like me. :whistle:

 

Evil Comic leaving us so befuddled.

Evil? Me? :lol: Everything gets explained in my story. I try not to leave people wondering what happens. Glad you are still with me Andy.
Link to comment

Can't say that I like Rick Sr one damn bit. I hope he comes around or that Barbara boxes his ears. I did notice however we didn't get any resolution in this chapter. I'm thinking that you're doing it on purpose! Just leaving me hanging. Next chapter awaits!

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 12:36 AM, MidnightMan said:
Can't say that I like Rick Sr one damn bit. I hope he comes around or that Barbara boxes his ears. I did notice however we didn't get any resolution in this chapter. I'm thinking that you're doing it on purpose! Just leaving me hanging. Next chapter awaits!
I forewarned you that there would be times were there would be a little rest for Charlie. Everyone wants him to keep rushing forward. Life is rarely like that.
Link to comment

Well, at least Charlie's time is occupied for now! But I look forward to the conversations between him and Rick and the thoughts that will cross Charlie's.

 

I guess the book reading will be at Scott's shop:P

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 07:16 AM, joann414 said:
Well, at least Charlie's time is occupied for now! But I look forward to the conversations between him and Rick and the thoughts that will cross Charlie's.

 

I guess the book reading will be at Scott's shop:P

Life happens around Charlie, sometimes at a breakneck speed. However, he does form a special relationship with his nephew. The two being so close in age helps.
Link to comment

Did anyone else catch Charlies stray thought of wondering how it would feel to be so passionate about a kiss. This from a guy that was with a girl for two years. Now was he thinking about the kiss itself or the fact of receiving a kiss like that from a man. His reaction from the single teachers is noteworthy as well...."trapped in a relationship". Charlie is onto the road of discovery he just doesn't know it yet.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 08:35 AM, Daithi said:
Did anyone else catch Charlies stray thought of wondering how it would feel to be so passionate about a kiss. This from a guy that was with a girl for two years. Now was he thinking about the kiss itself or the fact of receiving a kiss like that from a man. His reaction from the single teachers is noteworthy as well...."trapped in a relationship". Charlie is onto the road of discovery he just doesn't know it yet.
Charlie can spot things with others and help them immediately. However, when it comes to himself, well, he is clueless. You just gotta love him.
Link to comment

Charlie is a great uncle and I think he´ll be learning about life and love from Rick and it´s good for him to have some company for a little while, he seems so lonely and sad. Perhaps Charlie starts to wonder where he could find a passionate kiss :kiss:

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 04:55 AM, Suvitar said:
Charlie is a great uncle and I think he´ll be learning about life and love from Rick and it´s good for him to have some company for a little while, he seems so lonely and sad. Perhaps Charlie starts to wonder where he could find a passionate kiss :kiss:
Charlie really cares about his family. I'm glad to see you are enjoying this.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..