Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 4,763 Words
  • 7,439 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 29. Chapter 29 - The Christmas Party

strong>Charlie finishes his Christmas shopping and it is the Wagner Family Christmas Party. Just who is coming all?

Chapter 29 – Christmas Eve Party

Charlie’s last day of school was a breeze. There wasn’t much being done. He had planned a class party. The class was only due to be in school for three hours, and part of that timethey would be in gym.

Wednesday, he got in early and set up his class. He had something small for each member of the class that they would be able to use. They were simple pencils and bookmarks, but he didn’t want to ignore his students. Once the classroom was set up Charlie dug into the bag he’d brought and took out his gift for Marie. He hoped she would enjoy it.

Smiling, Charlie headed out to the office.

“Hey Charlie,” called Justine Ride. “Glad to have caught you.”

Charlie noted her arms were packed with bags and she was carrying a large box.

“Good grief! Justine, are you trying to give yourself a hernia.” Charlie chuckled as he tucked Marie’s gift under his arm and took the box out of her arms. “Where are you heading with this pile?”

“My room. Thanks for the help.” She hurried ahead and unlocked her classroom door. “I wasn’t sure how I was going to manage the door.”

“No problem. Where do you want it?”

“My desk is fine,” Justine said as she dropped the bags by the door and slipped out of her coat. She was opening her closet as she continued talking to him. “It seems I owe you an apology.”

Charlie stood wide-eyed looking at Justine’s back. She slowly turned around to face him blushing deeply.

“What on earth for?”

“Well it is getting around that you are being hit on by the guy who runs the reading program. It sounds as if he won’t leave you alone. Sorry, Charlie, I never meant for something like that to happen to you. It was …”

Charlie almost fell over laughing.

“Oh, sorry, Justine. I mean, oh lord, that is hysterical. Is that the story going around now?”

“You mean it isn’t true?”

“I’ve got to tell Scott this one. He will get a kick out of it.”

Justine looked confused.

“Let me explain. I’m sure you heard about my near accident in September?”

Justine nodded her head.

“Yeah, figured that you had. Well, Scott was the one who stopped me from stepping out and getting hit by the car. This was just as Tina and I were ending it.” Charlie paused and realized there was no pain talking about the end of his relationship with Tina. He looked up to find Justine watching him, so he continued. “Anyway, we met up again due to you needing to switch, but he wasn’t hounding me. He asked me out and, well, I accepted. There is nothing for you to feel guilty about.”

A smile came to Justine’s face and she rushed over and to hug him.

“I’m so glad, Charlie. I was afraid that I was the cause of a problem for you. It is much better to find out I might have been the one that let something good happen instead.”

“Yeah,” Charlie said smiling. “The rumor mill got that one wrong. I thought Sam would have made sure everyone knew the truth.”

“Oh, you don’t know?”

“Uh-oh. What don’t I know?”

“When anyone asks what is going on she tells them grow a set and to go ask you. It was part of why I thought there was a problem. Usually, Sam is the one making sure everyone hears the rumors.”

Charlie stood there stunned.

“She told them that you were doing your job and if they wanted to know something they should just ask you, face to face.”

“Well,” Charlie said trying to get back on course, “if there are any more problems just fill them in. This is my life and I am not going to be hiding hoping no one finds out. Some of the students have seen us out already. It is not exactly going to be a secret long.”

Justine nodded and smiled.

“Anyway, I have a few things to finish before the kids get in. If I don’t catch you, enjoy your holidays, Justine.”

“You too, Charlie.”

Charlie headed back toward the office thinking of what Justine had said. He never thought Samantha would be in his corner. Figuring he had better get a move on, Charlie went straight to the office and Marie’s desk.

“Charlie, how did you slip by me?”

“Easy, Marie, I went to my room first,” Charlie said as he signed in and handed over the box he had for her.

“What is this? Oh, Charlie,” Marie began to tear up when she saw the gift was addressed to her. “You know you didn’t have to get me anything.”

“Who had to? I wanted to. Besides, you do a lot for me. This is my way of saying thank you.”

Charlie watched as Marie opened the wrapping paper and pulled out the box. She opened it and peeked inside.

“Oh my god! Charlie, it’s beautiful,” Marie said as pulled the small crystal frame out of the box. “And it has a rose on it.”

“I remember you saying you loved roses. I’m glad you like it.”

Marie stood up, wrapped her arms around Charlie, and gave him a kiss.

“Merry Christmas, Charlie.”

Charlie blushed.

“Merry Christmas.”

There was a group of teachers coming over to sign in so Charlie waved and headed back to his classroom. As he stood watching the buses pull up he also noted the snow that was beginning to fall.

I hope the snow holds off. I need to get my shopping done today.

The class count kept dropping each day, so Charlie wasn’t very surprised when he only had eight students. After attendance the gym teacher took the class for the next forty minutes so Charlie set up for the party he had planned.

Class parties were easier when I was a student. Now allergies and all kinds of stuff have to be checked out first.

Charlie had been informed that the only allergies any of his students had were to nuts. Since he had done all the baking and bought the drinks he had nothing to worry about. Once the students were back he played some soft music in the back-ground and served up his food for the kids. Charlie was careful not to make anything that could be called a Christmas party. There were just plain cookies with white icing, chocolate brownies with mint, he had fruit punch for the kids to drink, and some candy. He passed out pencils that read, ‘For a student with class,’ and a bookmarks with animal pictures on them.

The students kept looking out the window watching the large flakes drift down and stick to the ground.

“Do you think we will go home early, Mr. Wagner?”

“Maya, you are going home in ten minutes. How much earlier would you like to go?”

Everyone laughed. The principal soon came on the intercom system wishing everyone a safe holiday season and hoped they enjoyed their New Year’s. Charlie had the class go pack up and take home everything they could so the room would be cleaned well during the break.

While he cleaned up a few of his student’s snuck presents onto his desk. He would have liked to thank them but there wasn’t much time and soon he was lining them up and taking them all out to the buses. Once the buses left the teachers pretty much ran back to their rooms.

Charlie carefully packed up the gifts from his student’s. He planned to write out thank you notes for each gift during vacation. Packing up quickly, he headed right for his car so he could get to the mall and finish up his shopping.

He had just finished putting his satchel and the gifts in the car when the phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hi Charlie. Quick question, handsome,” Scott’s deep voice rumbled over the phone.

Charlie laughed.

“What are you laughing about?”

“With you, nothing is ever quick, Scott. What is it you wanted to know?”

“Julie and Nick are invited to the party Friday, right?”

“Naturally they are. It is Christmas Eve. I understand their boss isn’t being a Scrooge,” Charlie said teasing Scott, “So they are expected to come and enjoy themselves.”

“Nope. I’m closing down at four on Friday. Nick was afraid he wouldn’t have anywhere to go and Julie’s Mom is working the midnight shift at the hospital. I just wanted to make sure they were really free to come.”

“You know Barbara. Do you honestly think she would turn anyone away?”

Scott laughed.

“Not your mother.”

“Good. I’m off to finish my shopping then.”

“Oh? Planning on telling me what you got me?”

“No. You will find out on Christmas.”

“Rats. I was hoping you would spill the beans.”

“Not on your life. Now all I have left is to pick up something for both Nick and Julie, and one or two others.”

“Stay safe. I’m watching the snow fall like crazy.”

“I will be, but I have to run to the Smith Haven Mall.”

“Call me if you have a problem.”

Charlie couldn’t help but roll his eyes. Sometimes Scott was as bad as his mother.

“Yes, Scott. I promise.”

“Brat.”

“Talk to you later.”

Charlie made his way across the island. There were times when the snow was barely falling and other times when he swore he should have just waited another day. The usual twenty minute drive ended up becoming nearly forty.

The mall was open and packed. Snow or no snow, people were out in force to get their shopping done and Charlie was one. His list was small, for which he was eternally grateful. Other than wanting to get another small gift for Scott, he still needed something for Julie and Nick. Then the only other members of the family he had left were Kristy, Rick and Tonya, and something for Juanita.

List in hand he became a man on a mission. He found the perfect thing for Julie in Spencer’s. Learning that Juanita couldn’t cook but loved to act as bartender, he hit the book store and bought the latest on mixed drinks for her. He also grabbed a book about Italy for Kristy, knowing her gift this year from his parents were tickets to Rome. He had heard from Scott about Nick’s love for the Jets, he found a signed jersey by one of the players and bought it for him.

As he was passing the Hallmark store he caught sight of a little stand in the center of the wing. The guy who ran ‘A Picture Is Worth’ actually had an artist who used a laser to etch photos onto wood. Charlie had never seen anything like it, but dug out the picture he carried of Rick and Tonya. A little while later he was walking off with the picture beautifully etched into a block of wood.

Charlie was heading toward the food court on the way out when he spotted Scott’s final gift. There was a beautiful inlaid wooden box with a Celtic Knot design on top of it. It was a hell of a lot more than he had planned to spend, considering that he and Scott had only been going out a little over a month, but it felt right. He paid for it, and went to his car to put away his other purchases after he had arranged to have the box delivered to his place on Friday morning.

 

Thursday morning Charlie finished wrapping all of his gifts. The only ones he had to make sure to bring with him on Friday were Julie and Nick’s gifts. He spent a large portion of the day making up small quiche and other snack foods for his mother’s party. The day was sort of lazy, which was good because he knew come morning he would be running. The day seemed to end before he knew it had started and suddenly it was Friday.

Barely out of bed at eight a.m. and the phone began to ring.

“Charlie?”

“Yes, who else would it be?”

“Cute. Humor this early in the morning.”

“Mom, I haven’t even had coffee yet. What is up?”

“Sorry, just a bit nervous. Your father won’t let me do as I like and I feel as if everything won’t get done.”

Charlie stifled a yawn as he listened and padded out to the kitchen. Bleary eyed he started the coffee pot.

“Look, I’ve a got a Fruit Stollen with your name on it. Pack up what you cooked and come over. I’ll feel better knowing someone is able to do the stuff your father can’t.”

“Well you are going to have to wait awhile,” Charlie said trying to stifle a yawn. “I have one of my gifts being delivered between nine and ten this morning. I will be over right after that. I promise.”

Good thing I took care of the shopping and gift wrapping already.

“If you have something to do, I understand. Just get over here as soon as you can, please.”

“Alright, Mom. I’ll shower and pull my act together. I promise as soon as the delivery guys leave I’ll be right over.”

Charlie was as good as his word. He jumped in the shower, got dressed, and he had his morning coffee. The delivery guys actually showed up at five to nine and after checking to make sure the chest was in perfect condition, Charlie tipped them and they were gone. Then he began to pack up the stuff he needed to take with him. It took three trips to get the food down to the car and the gifts he had to bring, but he was on his way within a half hour of the delivery guys leaving his apartment.

There wasn’t much to be done for the party. It was basically just going to be a mixer type of thing. The party would begin at seven and go on till about midnight. People would arrive and leave throughout that time. There would be plenty of hors d’oeuvres, desserts, soda, coffee, wine, and egg nog. However, Barbara liked to make sure she had plenty of food and nothing was ever left to chance.

Charlie pulled into the driveway, but hadn’t even done more than open his door when he heard his mother’s voice.

“Thank God, you got here. I was afraid I was going to have rope in neighbor to get everything done.”

“Would you get in the house and calm down. I’ll be in, in just a moment,” Charlie said shaking his head.

“You know what I’m like. I like things on schedule, Charlie. This damn surgery put me out of sorts.”

“Mom, I know you hired the wait staff and all, so calm down.”

Joe walked out in his coat a moment later.

“Glad you came, Charlie. Your mother is going to drive me nuts today,” he joked.

“Just today, Dad?”

“I can hear you, boys!”

“Well, I am standing right here along side of you,” Joe said shooting Charlie a wink.

Barbara shook her head.

“Dad, can you lend me a hand getting this stuff in? It took me three trips to get it all in the car.”

“Sure thing,” Joe called as he hurried out to help. “My god, what did you do? How much food did you make?”

“I can’t help it. I learned from her,” Charlie whispered as he looked at his mother.

“Well then, you know you will always be prepared,” Barbara said from the doorway. “Now hurry up. It is cold out there.”

“I’ll never know how she does that!”

“Your mother has selective hearing, Charlie. She can hear like a bat when she wants to and be deaf as a post when she doesn’t want to.” Joe smiled as he watched Barbara cross her arms and raise her eyebrow.

“Ooh, are you in trouble.”

“Um, just keep moving, Charlie, and she might not kill me.”

“Oh, I won’t kill you. However, I can think of so many ways to make you pay.”

“Now honey, it is Christmas.”

Barbara broke out into peals of laughter.

“What would you boys do without me?”

“Well we are in no rush to find out,” Joe said as he leaned in and gave his wife a peck on the cheek.

“Come on, Dad. Drop those off in the kitchen so Mom can get me started.”

“And don’t open anything to start eating Joe. I’ll feed you before the party.”

“Yes dear,” Joe said with a wink as he slipped a mini quiche into his mouth.

Barbara rolled her eyes and hugged her son.

“Glad you could make it.”

“Well I don’t know what you could possibly want all. I mean the party starts in seven hours. So tell me why you really wanted me here.”

Barbara looked at Charlie and nodded.

“Come sit down.”

“Spill it.”

“You were much easier to get around before you dated Scott.”

Charlie sat quietly and waited.

“Alright,” Barbara said tossing her hands up. “I was meddling a bit.”

“And?”

“And I hope I haven’t made a mistake.”

“Why? What did you do?”

“Well, the Benjamins are coming.”

“Okay. Well everyone gets along with them. So what is the problem?”

“I just don’t want them to feel left out. I mean there will be a lot of people besides just the family.”

“Mom, if you expect me to believe that, you better get me drunk first. You always invite new people to your parties, but being who you are they never feel out of place.”

Barbara blushed.

“Barb, just tell him already. He is going to know soon enough.”

“I invited Ted.”

“So? Ted has been to your Christmas party before.”

“Charlie, he is dating Tina.”

“I know. Both of them have told me at different times. Hell, I ran into Tina the day before Thanksgiving.”

Joe turned and looked at Barbara.

“See, you were worried for nothing.”

“Okay, so if the drama is over what do you need to get done?”

Charlie and Barbara soon had everything organized. There would be plates of cookies, cakes, dessert breads, platters of cheese and crackers, and even platters of fresh fruit set around on a buffet table. The serving staff she had would be bringing around the mini quiche, pigs in a blanket, mini meat pies, shrimp, and Barbara’s version of mini Italian meatballs with a marinara dip. Another table would be set up with eggnog and fruit punch. Soda and wine would be served by one of the wait staff from Joe’s bar in the family room.

“Mom, I still think you have too much food.”

“There can never be too much food,” Joe and Barbara said in unison. They looked at each other and laughed.

Barbara ordered out and had a pizza delivered for the three of them. They sat eating and relaxing, talking about Barbara’s recovery, the latest mystery novel Joe had been reading, and Charlie’s job. It was about a quarter after six that the wait staff arrived.

“Maggie thanks so much for coming.”

“My pleasure, Mrs. Wagner.”

“How many times do I have to tell you, it’s Barbara?”

Maggie Winston ran a small catering business. Her first customer had been Barbara, who rapidly sent her many clients once she found out how good she was. Maggie arrived with three other people and truck full of more hors devours that Barbara had ordered. She didn’t need directions on what to do, because she had been doing this for nearly six years now.

“Well, Barbara, go get yourself ready. This is all in good hands.”

It wasn’t long till people began to arrive. Guests were friends of Barbara and Joe’s from all walks of life. The family arrived in waves and the house slowly filled up with people talking and soft music being played. The snack food was excellent and everyone was enjoying themselves.

Charlie was about to head out into the kitchen just for a break when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to find Ted standing there.

“Hey, you. I thought you were going to keep in touch,” Charlie said looking Ted in the eyes.

“Well I’ve been busy with my new job.”

“So I heard from Tina.”

“She said she had seen you at Thanksgiving.”

“Yup. Where is she?”

“She's in the bathroom, again.”

“Oh. Is she okay?”

“She is still dealing with the morning sickness. Although for her it can be any time of the day.”

“Morning … oh my god! Why didn’t you say something?”

“Oh yeah, that is really easy to work into a conversation. Hey, Char, remember the girl you just broke up with? I sort of knocked her up. Hope you don’t mind.”

Charlie laughed.

“Would you stop! You know Tina and I are over and just friends. I’m glad you two found each other.”

Just then Tina came over looking a little green.

“Are you alright?”

“I think so,” Tina said holding on to Ted’s arm.

“If you go into the family room, at the bar you can get some soda water. It might help your stomach. Mom has saltines in the cupboard if you need them.”

Tina smiled at Charlie.

“Thanks.”

A moment later Rick walked over and started talking to Ted allowing Charlie to go check on other guests. He had barely taken a few steps when he felt a pair of arms surround him and the smell of Scott’s cologne.

“Hmm. Nice. You know my boyfriend didn’t come so I’m all yours stranger,” Charlie joked.

“I’ll give you stranger,” Scott hugged him tighter and kissed his neck.

“So where is the rest of your little gang?”

“Aren’t they here yet?”

“Nope. I figured you were coming together.”

“Nah. They said they would car pool and come here before eight.”

Charlie glanced at his watch.

“Well they have time.”

Rick Junior stopped by with Ben at his side to greet Scott.

“Nice to see you again Mr. Reeds,” Rick said as he shook Scott’s hand.

“Rick, just call me Scott.”

“Okay. You remember my boyfriend Ben right?”

“I thought it was Wade?”

“It is, but my nickname is Ben. I’ll answer to either but prefer Ben.”

“Yeah, I’m a big culprit of that one,” Charlie said shaking his head. “He keeps telling me to call him Ben and I keep calling him Wade.”

The whole group laughed and the guys moved off as they spotted someone else they wanted to say ‘hello’ to.

“So I have you alone at last.”

“Right, alone with all my parent’s guests,” Charlie chuckled.

“Hi Charlie,” said a well dressed woman as she passed on her way to the family room.

“Who is that?”

“That is Evie. She is a friend of the family, and the one helping out on Ben’s case.”

“Oh. Lord is there anyone you guys don’t know?”

“Yeah, politicians. Dad said it would give us a bad name,” Charlie said with a straight face. He couldn’t keep it up as he started to laugh.

“You’re bad,” Scott said as he leaned in to give Charlie a kiss.

“Well, I’m happy to say that you two make a cute couple,” Cameron said as he approached them.

Scott stiffened at the sound of Cameron’s voice.

“Cameron, I’m glad Mom invited you.”

“I wasn’t going to come, but Barbara can be very persuasive.”

Scott turned and looked at Cameron. There was a moment where Charlie wasn’t sure what was going to happen, and then Scott reached out and shook Cameron’s hand.

“Glad to see you. Nice to know you are able to help out Barbara.”

“Yeah, you know how it is. The woman doesn’t need someone to motivate her. More like sit on her and keep her from over doing it.”

Scott and Charlie looked at each other and smiled.

“You don’t know the half of it.” Charlie smiled as shook his head. “Just enjoy yourself tonight.”

Charlie began to move off, but soon felt Scott move with him.

“You know you don’t have to be at my side every moment. You can mix and enjoy the party too.”

“I know, but I haven’t had a chance to see you in two days. Sue me. I’m sticking close.”

Charlie went around and introduced people to Scott. It seemed like no time at all till he was talking with various people who took an interest in his store, offering suggestions and ideas on how to grow his business. Scott got to meet Charlie’s friends from the neighborhood, business associates of the Wagner’s, and a few cousins who made this their yearly visit. In the midst of it all Nick and Julie finally arrived. Charlie greeted them warmly.

“Sorry we are late. I sort of got lost,” Julie admitted sheepishly.

“We hadn’t eaten and she turned off to get McDonalds and then wouldn’t let me use the gps on my phone. Took a while to find out where we were and how to get here.”

Charlie laughed. One thing about Long Island, it was really hard to get lost, so he knew they had to find their way here eventually. Charlie brought Julie and Nick over to meet the rest of his family. It took a while to take them around but eventually he found and introduced them to everyone. Barbara and Joe took extra time to try to get to know them without ignoring the rest of the guests.

The party was a success, as it always was. Charlie waited till Nick and Julie were saying their goodbyes to go grab their presents.

“Here, don’t go without your stuff.”

“But we didn’t bring anything,” Nick said looking blankly at Charlie.

“I never said you did. I said don’t leave without your stuff.”

Julie reached out and took the large bag he handed her, while Nick looked shocked to be handed one as well.

“Hey, guys it is just a little something for the holidays. Enjoy, and be safe getting home. Julie, you do know how to get out of here now?”

“Yes,” she said as she kissed Charlie’s cheek. “I’ll open this tomorrow. We usually don’t have much under the tree.”

“Thanks, Charlie,” Nick said. “You really didn’t have to get us anything,” his voice rising as he tried not to show how he was feeling.

“Consider it a gift to my family. You are Scott’s family and we are dating. I couldn’t forget you two.”

Nick gave Charlie a hug and nearly dashed out the door.

“You sort of threw him for a loop, but he will be okay,” Julie said as hugged Charlie again.

She hurried after Nick.

“You sort of surprised both of them, Handsome.” Scott turned and hugged Charlie as he watched Julie’s car drive off. “I gave them my gifts earlier, but neither of them was expecting something from you.”

“I wasn’t looking for anything from them. I like them both. Besides, they are your family.”

Scott hugged Charlie tightly. He looked up and noticed the mistletoe hung over the door way. He leaned in and gave Charlie a kiss.

“So when do I get my gift?”

“Tomorrow afternoon. Do you want to come to my place?”

“Sure. Want to go there now?”

“No,” Charlie said as he blushed. “I’ve got be back here bright and early for Christmas breakfast and all, but I want to spend the rest of the day with you.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“What sounds good to you?” Barbara asked as she came to the front door.

“We were just making plans for tomorrow,” Charlie said as he turned towards his mother.

“Well aren’t you both coming here for our usual family breakfast?”

“Yes, I was coming. However you didn’t say anything about Scott and we were making plans for later in the day.”

“Well of course you are invited Scott. Then you can both relax here with the rest of the crowd.”

Charlie shot his mother a look.

“Or not,” she said with a shrug.

Charlie turned and hugged Scott.

“Want to come have breakfast with the Wagner clan, and most likely be drilled again.”

Scott smiled and leaned down to kiss Charlie again.

“If it means spending more time with you, I’d do anything.”

“Good. Mom, we will see you at eight then.”

Barbara smiled. Christmas was always a time for surprises.

So Charlie and Scott will be having the morning with the Wagners and the afternoon alone. Just what surprises are still coming? Comments are always welcomed. If you enjoyed please hit that like button. Thank you.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The calm before the storm? I guess I don't recall enough about Nick or his story to fully understand his response to the gift. What that does say is much more about the character of Charlie than anything else. I have grown to appreciate him, and I think Scott has too. Barbara, on the otherhand is such a crusty, but loving mother, and I can't help but love her as well. Thanks.

Link to comment

So, this is my first review here. I absolutely love your story and its characters; every time I find a new chapter I instantly have to read it. I think it's an incredibly well structured story, and I like the way you usually end a newly posted chapter: it leaves something open, there are unsolved questions (sometimes brought up just before the chapter ends) but the chapter itself is always coherent. Your style is also quite addictive as you manage to portray the characters through their actions so convincingly.

I'm curious what comes next. One thing I was amazed to read in this chapter was that Scott and Charlie are going out only a little over a month but perhaps I have to re-read the preceding chapters.

What I find, well, kind of relieving is the fact that the age difference between Charlie and Scott isn't an issue per se. They acknowledge each other as partners and so does Charlie's family; even when Scott tells Charlie about Andrew it doesnt't come up as problematic, for the pain Scott feels when he thinks about his former partner's death and Charlie's doubts about himself are actually more important.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Link to comment

umm...

I am sorta anxious... what happens next? :o me likes christmas and sooo much food! *sigh*

surprise? what surprise? hmmm?

Link to comment
On 11/05/2011 03:19 AM, GeR said:
The calm before the storm? I guess I don't recall enough about Nick or his story to fully understand his response to the gift. What that does say is much more about the character of Charlie than anything else. I have grown to appreciate him, and I think Scott has too. Barbara, on the otherhand is such a crusty, but loving mother, and I can't help but love her as well. Thanks.
I'm glad you like them all George. There have been problems along the way but unlike some stories there really isn't a bad guy. Only two chapters left. Hope I don't disappoint you.
Link to comment
On 11/05/2011 04:05 AM, Zenobia said:
So, this is my first review here. I absolutely love your story and its characters; every time I find a new chapter I instantly have to read it. I think it's an incredibly well structured story, and I like the way you usually end a newly posted chapter: it leaves something open, there are unsolved questions (sometimes brought up just before the chapter ends) but the chapter itself is always coherent. Your style is also quite addictive as you manage to portray the characters through their actions so convincingly.

I'm curious what comes next. One thing I was amazed to read in this chapter was that Scott and Charlie are going out only a little over a month but perhaps I have to re-read the preceding chapters.

What I find, well, kind of relieving is the fact that the age difference between Charlie and Scott isn't an issue per se. They acknowledge each other as partners and so does Charlie's family; even when Scott tells Charlie about Andrew it doesnt't come up as problematic, for the pain Scott feels when he thinks about his former partner's death and Charlie's doubts about himself are actually more important.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Zenobia, Glad you have stuck with me. When you read the story starts in September after the kids have gone back to school. Then there is the accident. The meet again in October and go on their first real date. Just you have had to wait a bit to get it all but the story so far has spread just a few months. It all ends on New Years.
Link to comment
On 11/05/2011 06:21 AM, Elezbed said:
ohhhhhhhhh a christmas chapter :) this one is cute!

Write more!

Oh I am writing more. Just not a lot more to write for Charlie. Just Christmas and New Years Ele and it is over.
Link to comment
On 11/05/2011 11:42 AM, Frostina said:
umm...

I am sorta anxious... what happens next? :o me likes christmas and sooo much food! *sigh*

surprise? what surprise? hmmm?

LOL. Yeah, I'm sorry. No one can really read Charlie if they are hungry. Too much food talk. Christmas is up next. Thanks for staying with me Frosty.
Link to comment

I like the Christmas chapter! Once Halloween is over my mind set is on Holiday mode :) The only thing I didn't get was why Charlie didn't jump at the chance to have Scott come over after the party? Scott wanted to and there's nothing better than waking up Christmas morning and unwrapping each other under tree :P

Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 01:00 AM, K.C. said:
I like the Christmas chapter! Once Halloween is over my mind set is on Holiday mode :) The only thing I didn't get was why Charlie didn't jump at the chance to have Scott come over after the party? Scott wanted to and there's nothing better than waking up Christmas morning and unwrapping each other under tree :P
Because Scott's Christmas present is sitting unwrapped in the middle of his living room. He wants to surprise Scott. Sometimes you enjoy the romance of it all. Besides who said he wasn't planning to curl up with Scott all afternoon?
Link to comment

I had a feeling Cameron would be showing up, though in the previous chapter review I think I made a mistake and called him Andrew. Either way, sounds like everything went off without a hitch. You had me worried with mention of the snow falling. I was sure you would put someone in an accident, and quite happy you didn't.

Good flow and nothing to complain about other than I'm know I'm getting closer to the end of the story.

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 11:50 AM, MidnightMan said:
I had a feeling Cameron would be showing up, though in the previous chapter review I think I made a mistake and called him Andrew. Either way, sounds like everything went off without a hitch. You had me worried with mention of the snow falling. I was sure you would put someone in an accident, and quite happy you didn't.

Good flow and nothing to complain about other than I'm know I'm getting closer to the end of the story.

Would I be that cruel with only three chapters left? Hmm. Then again I might be.
Link to comment

Well, you have got me here. I am wondering what the Christmas Day surprise will be.

 

I felt Tina and Ted would be invited and was so glad to see them.

Nick and Julie were so appreciative of their gifts. That is what Christmas is for, giving to those who need and appreciate it. Great one again guy!!!!!

Link to comment
On 11/07/2012 03:39 AM, joann414 said:
Well, you have got me here. I am wondering what the Christmas Day surprise will be.

 

I felt Tina and Ted would be invited and was so glad to see them.

Nick and Julie were so appreciative of their gifts. That is what Christmas is for, giving to those who need and appreciate it. Great one again guy!!!!!

I enjoy giving gifts and always try to tailor them to the person. So Charlie does the same thing.
Link to comment

Interesting Tina and Ted are expecting which I'm not surprised was actually kinda electing that. It didn't even phase Tina that her ex boyfriend who she thought was straight as an arrow is now dating a hunky older man. Lol I don't think all excited girlfriends would. Even that easy going specially since it was just a matter of days after the breakup

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 03:10 PM, Daithi said:
Interesting Tina and Ted are expecting which I'm not surprised was actually kinda electing that. It didn't even phase Tina that her ex boyfriend who she thought was straight as an arrow is now dating a hunky older man. Lol I don't think all excited girlfriends would. Even that easy going specially since it was just a matter of days after the breakup
Remember they broke up in September and she went right into Ted's waiting arms. She doesn't exactly have the high ground. Besides, she knew she wasn't what he wanted and now she knows why.
Link to comment

My theory was only partly right; I thought Tina might be pregnant but I thought Charlie would be daddy. Charlie was so sweet buying presents for Julie and Nick.

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 08:47 PM, Suvitar said:
My theory was only partly right; I thought Tina might be pregnant but I thought Charlie would be daddy. Charlie was so sweet buying presents for Julie and Nick.
OMG. No, not even I could be so mean to my Charlie. Yes, Charlie is very thoughtful and keeps track of what he learns about his friends.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..