Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,554 Words
  • 10,624 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 5. Chapter 5 - Working Out the Day's Events

Charlie goes home with a lot to think about. Not everything will solved but he does start to deal with the first of his problems.

Chapter 5 – Working Out the Day’s Events

Charlie walked into his apartment and began to pace the floor. He felt as if he needed to do something before he crawled out of his skin. He hated when he felt like this, like his mind was a rollercoaster of thoughts and emotions.

“I’ll finish the projects,” he announced to an empty room. He quickly picked his satchel up off the floor and in moments the table looked like it had before he had left for work that morning. There were piles of projects placed all over the table. Without a worry about keeping things neat he began to look them over, grade them, and record the grades in his grade book. Unfortunately, the grading of the projects which had seemed so huge this morning soon lay neatly completed ten minutes later.

Well that didn’t take as long as I expected. Charlie sighed glumly to himself. He was still running through all the events that had happened to him that day. The top of the list was Tina, then the accident, and also his visit with Scott Reeds. It was one of those moments where he wished the world would just go away and he could hide from what he was feeling and dealing with.

“I refuse to feel sorry for myself,” Charlie nearly shouted as he stood up from the table. He neatly slid everything back into his satchel and stood up to stretch. It might have been early in the afternoon for him but he was feeling at loose ends.

I need to unwind, to do something to help myself relax. Charlie headed off into his bathroom and started the shower. Quickly he stripped out of his clothing and stepped under the warm water. He emptied his mind and just let the water relax his tense muscles. If the water had stayed warm he probably would have stayed there longer but he had just begun to feel a bit better when the water turned icy. Hurriedly, he jumped out of the shower and grabbed a towel.

After a quick toweling off he wandered into his bedroom. He didn’t plan to do anything that afternoon or evening so he pulled on a pair of lounge pants and a tee shirt. The lounge pants had been a gift from his mother. They had pictures of Snoopy all over them and she joked he might be getting older but he never had to grow up. They made him smile and he felt he needed that at the moment.

Feeling a bit better he walked into his kitchen. Almost absentmindedly he checked the cabinets and shelves for what was there. Finally he wandered over to the fridge where he opened the freezer door and spotted the bag of blueberries. A smile came to his face as he realized that keeping busy was just what he needed to do. He strolled over to his recipe box and began to flip through to find the one he wanted. It didn’t take long till he was holding the recipe for Blueberry Buckle in his hand.

He pulled the various bowls, measuring cups and spoons from the cupboards and drawers. Then, while his was busy measuring and mixing his mind began to work through the problems that had been his day. No matter how he looked at it, the accident was absolutely his fault. I really can’t afford myself the luxury of tuning out the outside world when I am out in it. Charlie walked over and checked to make sure the oven was preheating to the right temperature. Well, if nothing else that shows me the importance of getting a good night’s rest before trying to face the world. I really should have called out instead of trying to go in on no sleep. At least my students weren’t hurt because I was so overtired. Charlie moved quickly to grab the bag of blueberries out of the freezer. While he let cold water rinse them off his mind continued to work its way through other parts of his problems.

Charlie reached for a second bowl to start making the crumb topping in. Scott Reeds is in the hospital because of me. As soon as he thought of Scott the memory of those intense blue eyes filled his mind and he nearly dropped the bowl he had been working with.Oh Lord, why does even the thought of that man make me nervous? Got to stop reacting that way or the poor man is going to think there is something seriously wrong with me. Charlie took a deep breath, looked back at the recipe and put all thoughts of Mr. Scott Reeds out of his head for the moment.

Charlie greased the bottom of his glass square pan and walked over to grab the batter. Tina, what am I going to do about you? Charlie paused for a moment then grabbed the scraper so he could get the rest of the batter out as he finished pouring the mixture into his pan. Two years she has been at my side now. I mean she encouraged me to go after my first job, was there with me at the holidays, and has been such an integral part of my life. How do I show her how important she is to me? Tina is my personal cheerleader when I succeed, my support when life seems to crush me. Charlie grabbed the smaller bowl and began to sprinkle the topping onto the buckle. Once the bowl was empty he placed the buckle into the oven and set the timer.

While the buckle began to cook, Charlie gathered up all the dirty utensils and put everything into the sink. He filled the sink with hot soapy water and began to wash up everything. Maybe she wants me to announce how much I love her? No, that just doesn’t seem right. Is there something I can do that she wants? Maybe I could pick a romantic place for a change? She might like it if I surprised her. The dishes were soon all washed and put into his small drain board.

The delicious scent of the blueberry buckle filled the air and was making Charlie hungry. He dug out a loaf of bread and some cold cuts from the fridge. A few moments later he had made himself a ham and Swiss on pumpernickel and poured himself a glass of ice tea. He walked over to the couch where he planned to make himself comfortable to wait for the buckle to finish cooking. He carefully set the drink on the floor beside him, and then sat Indian style on the couch.

Charlie munched happily on his sandwich. While he didn’t have any definite plans at least he was no longer so anxious about everything. He leaned back on the couch, relaxing and enjoying everything he had managed to accomplish tonight. He was getting so comfortable that he nearly fell off the couch when the oven began beeping.

Leaping up from the couch, Charlie rushed to the oven and pulled the buckle out of the oven and put the baking pan on the cooling rack. The warm buckle made the whole apartment smell so good. Charlie couldn’t help but smile as he remembered the first time he had made this recipe with his mother as child. Mom couldn’t believe I ate as many of the berries as I had. We had to go to the store to buy a new carton because I had eaten almost all of the first one before we ever got ready to follow the recipe. Charlie turned off the oven and then returned to the couch to clean up his plate and cup. At the sink he just rinsed them both off, leaving them to be washed when he did his breakfast dishes.

    

The day was catching up with Charlie at last. Exhausted he found himself yawning, so rather than fight it he headed off to his bedroom. No sooner had he stretched himself across the bed then he fell into a deep sleep.

         

    

        ==================================================================================================

     

Charlie’s Blueberry Buckle

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • ½ teaspoon of vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 ½ cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 1/4 cup butter, softened

     

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan.
  2. Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, vanilla, and egg.
  3. In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan.
  4. To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
  5. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes.
I always love reading a story but sometimes when I read them there are these incredible foods that the character is making and I just want the recipe. So consider anything Charlie makes, I will be giving you my recipe for it.

Any comments are always welcome. If you want to talk at the forum for this story please do.
http://www.gayauthor...en-by-comicfan/

Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



This is just a back ground chapter.. sort of? :) its relaxing to just sit back for a chapter in b/w remarkable incidents sometimes :)

Looking forward to the next one :P

and YAY, i got a recipe.. (now just to go find those items :P )

Link to comment
On 04/13/2011 04:32 PM, Frostina said:
This is just a back ground chapter.. sort of? :) its relaxing to just sit back for a chapter in b/w remarkable incidents sometimes :)

Looking forward to the next one :P

and YAY, i got a recipe.. (now just to go find those items :P )

Sort of a background chapter but important for Charlie to realize he needs to settle things. He might not have come to any conscious decisions but he has allowed his subconscious mind to mull things over. Thanks for the comment and enjoy.
Link to comment

I think this was a important chapter, a one to show us how Charlie prosesses his thoughts. I loved the slow unwinding feeling in it, letting things sink in in Charlie's pace. Now, the next chappy soon, please :)

Link to comment
On 04/18/2011 09:42 AM, Marzipan said:
I think this was a important chapter, a one to show us how Charlie prosesses his thoughts. I loved the slow unwinding feeling in it, letting things sink in in Charlie's pace. Now, the next chappy soon, please :)
Yeah thought you needed to see how Charlie processes things. Don't worry. Working on the next chapter now. Things are about to get harder.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I really view this story as a character tale. That makes these sorts of chapters vital. We need to know how the characters act and why they do so. Charlie's a baker when stressed, it helps him relax. I do that too so it helped me relate to him. I found it interesting he 'felt' more of a reaction to Mr. Scott than he did when thinking of Tina. Did you write it that way on purpose or was it just the way he seemed in your head?

Link to comment
On 04/20/2011 01:43 AM, Cia said:
I really view this story as a character tale. That makes these sorts of chapters vital. We need to know how the characters act and why they do so. Charlie's a baker when stressed, it helps him relax. I do that too so it helped me relate to him. I found it interesting he 'felt' more of a reaction to Mr. Scott than he did when thinking of Tina. Did you write it that way on purpose or was it just the way he seemed in your head?
Cia, To be honest it is like the talk to me. Sometimes I feel the story should be going one way but either one character or another seems to get into a huff for trying to make them go contrary to who they are. Eventually I have no choice but to go where they want to take me.
Link to comment

Okay I really want to make that blueberry thing. Maybe I will in my (possible) new house.

 

Also, it was nice to see the reflection in this chapter framed with a little action-- really helps to keep reader interest that way.

Link to comment
On 05/13/2011 04:01 PM, Sara Alva said:
Okay I really want to make that blueberry thing. Maybe I will in my (possible) new house.

 

Also, it was nice to see the reflection in this chapter framed with a little action-- really helps to keep reader interest that way.

It was a pause chapter. The recipe is mine. I hope you enjoy it.
Link to comment

so Charlie can cook well as well eh? nice hehe. Like the others i love the slow pace of this chapter. I think we all need evenings like that where we just curl up and relax :)

Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 10:19 PM, Agaith said:
so Charlie can cook well as well eh? nice hehe. Like the others i love the slow pace of this chapter. I think we all need evenings like that where we just curl up and relax :)
Yup. Charlie can cook. Charlie and Scott are just different aspects of me. :lol: What can I tell you? You write what you know or what you wish for.
Link to comment

Mehh- losing interest- don't know if I'll continue reading...JK! :P Charlie has a lot to think about. What is he going to do about Tina? It's obvious he loves her but is not IN LOVE with her...tough one! Nice chappy Wayne! :)

Link to comment
On 08/13/2011 07:30 AM, K.C. said:
Mehh- losing interest- don't know if I'll continue reading...JK! :P Charlie has a lot to think about. What is he going to do about Tina? It's obvious he loves her but is not IN LOVE with her...tough one! Nice chappy Wayne! :)
Thank you. Charlie has things he is realizing about his life. Time will tell. Read on my friend.
Link to comment

Ditto what KC said Charlie not being in love with Tina. I still really want her to stay so I'm really interested in how Charlie handles that situation. Also, gonna try the blueberry thing the next time I get the urge to bake.

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 05:30 PM, Ramon said:
Ditto what KC said Charlie not being in love with Tina. I still really want her to stay so I'm really interested in how Charlie handles that situation. Also, gonna try the blueberry thing the next time I get the urge to bake.
Well Tina and Charlie might end up breaking up but she wouldn't just fade from his life. The buckle is really good.
Link to comment

Blueberry Buckle? :huh: what's a buckle? :blink:

Maybe it's me but did it seem that Wayne - blush1.gif - oops, Charlie spent more time thinking of Mr. Reads than Tina? Just sayin. :whistle:

Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 09:58 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Blueberry Buckle? :huh: what's a buckle? :blink:

Maybe it's me but did it seem that Wayne - blush1.gif - oops, Charlie spent more time thinking of Mr. Reads than Tina? Just sayin. :whistle:

Yeah think? And how did you grow up on Long Island and miss a buckle. I got the recipe from a friend of my grandmother's and found similar ones up in Connecticut. Such a Northern Dessert, where you can pick the fresh blueberries. Think of it as a blueberry coffee cake.
Link to comment

Like Charlie I have a favourite pair of baggies :) Black satin and I go comando .... :blush: so comfy, is that TMI? LOL

I also relax by cooking so relate there too. But mines usually savoury not sweet. Anyways back to the story. It was nice, relaxing, and calming actually sighed.

Really nice Comic well done :hug:

Link to comment
On 01/09/2012 12:03 AM, Mark92 said:
Like Charlie I have a favourite pair of baggies :) Black satin and I go comando .... :blush: so comfy, is that TMI? LOL

I also relax by cooking so relate there too. But mines usually savoury not sweet. Anyways back to the story. It was nice, relaxing, and calming actually sighed.

Really nice Comic well done :hug:

You will find I try to put in as many normal every day touches as I can Mark. It is just an attempt to allow anyone who reads it to find comfort in a world they are entering.
Link to comment

Noticed that you skipped a few words here and there. First sentence 'needed to something' I'm sure you meant 'needed to do something'. I liked this chapter. I read like a quick background scene. It's always nice to better relate to the character when you flesh them out this way. I love blueberries so thank you also for sharing that recipe!

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 10:22 PM, MidnightMan said:
Noticed that you skipped a few words here and there. First sentence 'needed to something' I'm sure you meant 'needed to do something'. I liked this chapter. I read like a quick background scene. It's always nice to better relate to the character when you flesh them out this way. I love blueberries so thank you also for sharing that recipe!
I'm glad you are enjoying Charlie's story so far. Thanks for the note and the correction was made.
Link to comment
On 09/23/2012 11:38 PM, Billy Martin said:
This is an awesome start to your story. I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing.
Well I hope Charlie keeps your attention. You will soon learn I have a whole cast of characters and try not to have any that are just a throw away.
Link to comment

I love to relax by baking. Maybe the nice smells coming form the kitchen helped Charlie's muddled thoughts.

He did not seem so stressed in this chapter, more or less pondering on what had happened to him in a more relaxed frame of mine.

 

On to next chapter:)

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 06:00 AM, joann414 said:
I love to relax by baking. Maybe the nice smells coming form the kitchen helped Charlie's muddled thoughts.

He did not seem so stressed in this chapter, more or less pondering on what had happened to him in a more relaxed frame of mine.

 

On to next chapter:)

I am a firm believer you have to allow down times to a character. Otherwise the ups won't be so impressive. Trust me, Charlie has an interesting ride ahead of him.
Link to comment

Oooo a great story and a recipe to!!! This chapter just makes it so easy to love Charlie. I kinda like the way his mind steered away from thoughts of Scott, those blue eyes really made an impression on him. My question is how long does it take for Charlie to realize WHY those eyes made such an impression. Thats when the story is going to really get awesome hehe. Almost time tl wake a sleeping Charlie, just like Rip Van Winkle hehe.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..