Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,632 Words
  • 1,937 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2019 - Fall - Fall From Grace Entry

An Abomination"s Love - 1. Taking A Fall

Daniel has been trained from a young age how to be a warrior. It is his very nature to protect the pack. There is only one thing he truly wants and that is his mate from the Goddess Diana Luna. However, there is something he never expected and it might just be his downfall.

I can hear the whispered comments from the whole pack as I make my way to the front of the stage. I know they hate me and I’ve fallen from a pedestal I never asked to be placed on. They don’t know the sacrifice I’ve made or the pain I am in constantly. All they see is the abomination they believe I have become over the last three years.

Four years ago this all began. Four years and only three people besides myself know the truth. First is Dennis Underwood, the Elder. He helped me plan this. Second is Edward Lumas, the Alpha and father of Patrick Lumas, the future Alpha, who helped me to pull this off. The final person who knows is Susan Tremont, the mother of my mate, Seth Tremont, and the reason I have become the man I am.

I am an abomination, broken, and alone because Seth needed me to do this. He is, or was, my mate. I am Daniel Long, Warrior of the Dark Wood Pack.

*-*-*

Four Years Ago

“Damn it, pay attention or you’ll end up losing your god-damn skull!” My trainer continued to bear down on me.

“Yes, Sir,” I grunted out as I continued to defend against the blades he was using today.

There were four of us being trained against nearly every weapon devised. We were the sons and daughters of the present Warrior wolves of our pack. Since the age of five, we were trained in karate, judo, swords, knives, bow and arrows, as well as firearms. Each of us was a one-man army and we were deadly. In addition to this, we were also trained to fight in our wolf forms, keeping our wits about us as we used our fangs and claws, allowing our wolf half to fight as deviously as possible.

“Enough,” came the command of Alpha Edward.

Immediately we all stopped and faced our Alpha.

“Daniel and Brandy, follow me.”

I gave my weapons to my instructor and hurried after Alpha Edward, Brandy at my side.

He led us across the practice yard and to the pack house, then up to his office.

“Sit down and relax.” Alpha Edward strode over to the bar behind his desk, poured himself a drink, and finally, he sat in the large leather chair across from us.

Brandy and I shot each other a look before taking a seat before the Alpha’s desk.

“Relax. You two aren’t in trouble,” he said with a smile. Alpha took a sip before he looked at us. “You both turn seventeen within the next week or so.”

“Yes, Alpha. My birthday is on Monday.” Brandy sat a little straighter as she looked at the desk.

“Mine is Saturday, Alpha.” My stomach tightened at the thought. At the first full moon after your seventeenth birthday you can find your mate.

“Well, I’m just going to wish you both luck. May Diana, Goddess of the Moon, bless you both with your mates soon. Remember a mate is a blessing. If they are younger than you, you may not reveal yourself ‘til they are seventeen. If they are older than you, expect them to be racing for you the second you start your search on Sunday night.” Alpha Edward chuckled. “May your mate always be at your side. Take this week to prepare for Sunday. Elder Underwood will be meeting with both of you before the end of the week. Now go have fun.”

Brandy and I rose and exited his office.

“Shit, I thought he was going to yell at us for something.” Brandy slowly rolled her shoulders and stretched as we walked towards the huge kitchen.

“I’m surprised he keeps up with everyone’s birthday. I’m just worried about finding my mate. My father finally found Mom when he was sent to California to help the White Cliff pack with the rogues when he was eighteen.”

“Ew. Damn. Mom and Dad were both here. I hope I’m lucky like they were.” Brandy walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apple. “See you later, Dan. I’m going to go grab a shower.”

I nodded, watching as Brandy went out the back door, heading toward her parent’s home. I made myself a sandwich before walking out the front door heading toward my parent’s house. I started running after a few minutes, passing many of the pack who waved at me. I waved back and then fell over someone who was kneeling on the side of the trail.

“Are you okay?” The soft voice asked with great concern.

I turned to find Seth Tremont at my side, fear in his eyes. Seth was just thirteen and as unassuming as a mouse. I noticed the basket filled with blackberries he’d been collecting.

“I’m fine. Did I hurt you when I fell?” I quickly looked him over. It was part of my training to know all pack members on sight and protect them.

Seth shook his head. The scent of his fear was beginning to fill the air around us.

“Relax. Neither of us is hurt. Everything is fine.” I patted his shoulder and continued home, figuring he would calm down once I was away from him.

I hurried home, barely getting in the door before my mother shouted.

“Daniel, is that you?”

“Yes, Mom.” I kicked off my shoes and padded into the living room.

“Did Edward give you the rest of the week off?” Mom sat nursing my baby sister.

“Yes. Also, he told Brandy and me to expect a visit from the old grump.” I rolled my eyes.

“Daniel Anthony Long you respect the Elder! He is a wise man, a great fighter, and will always guide you if you need help. Be grateful our pack has an elder.” She glared at me.

My mother might seem small and docile, but she was a match for my father, who was one of the four great warrior wolves of my pack. She knew pack law, history, and folklore. She holds a law degree and was one of the few who interacted with the normal humans daily. She was a strong leader and was well respected by Alpha Edward and the pack.

“Yes, Mom.”

“Good.” She burped Lyta and then set her down in the playpen. “I’m hoping you find your mate this weekend. Just don’t freak out if you don’t. Remember Diana Luna always has a plan for us.”

She picked up a romance novel from the table, curled up on the couch, and began to laugh.

I looked at her and wondered what she was laughing at.

“Dan, stop staring. One of the other lawyers at the firm was telling me about these sexy romance novels she was reading.” Mom giggled and pointed at the picture of a wolf holding roses in its mouth before a busty raven-haired woman on the cover. “Last month she was into vampires. This month it’s werewolves.”

I stared at her and shook my head.

“It is funny as hell. There seem to be hundreds of omegas, Alpha’s that refuse their mates constantly, and continual battles for territories. Don’t even get me started on how they treat a female wolf or a gay one.” Mom shook her head and tossed the book at me. “You have time off from your training. Enjoy a laugh and read that.”

Mom had complained before about how the human world got so much about the mystic world wrong. There were just fifteen omega wolves in the whole world. They were extremely rare and a pack would sooner see itself destroyed before they allowed a single hair to be damaged, never mind see one used or abused. Rogues were rare but they did happen. Usually, they never found their mate or their mate died. Occasionally a wolf would lose his mind with great age and go rogue. The fires in California caused many mates or whole packs to die. There was also a serial killer who killed a few werewolves that were children. Their parents went rogue hunting him down and tearing him limb from limb. And the stories of rejection that seem to be everywhere in the books, well in the last fifty years there were exactly two. Both were tragedies that no one wanted to talk about.

I took the book and placed it into her briefcase. Those types of stories depressed me. A werewolf with a human, a vampire, other were-creatures, mermaids, or even elves but all doomed was not what I wanted to worry about. At least we werewolves weren’t stupid. A mate was a mate, and you never rejected someone over their sex or race. Gay or straight didn’t matter. A wolf mated for life and your mate was your life.

It was a long week. I kept trying on clothes to make sure I looked right for my mate. When I wasn’t studying for school classes or going to warrior training, I was spending time with Brandy and the five other pack members who were turning seventeen. At least I wouldn’t have to step into my warrior duties until Patrick turned seventeen, found his mate, and became Alpha when his father stepped down. My dad would continue as a Warrior until then too. Patrick was just fourteen last month so I had three years or more before I had anything to worry about.

Elder Underwood arrived on Friday. I was the last of the group he had to see.

“How are you, Daniel?” Elder Underwood smiled and took a notepad out of his satchel.

“Nervous. Just knowing I could find my mate in two days has me climbing the walls.”

He chuckled. “That’s normal. Trust me.”

I nodded and rubbed my hands together to keep from gripping the arms of the chair in frustration.

“Relax, Daniel. I’m here to just talk. Everyone sees me before the mating moon. You are the only one who seems stressed.”

“I just feel like something is going to happen. I’m not sure if it is going to be good or bad. You know?”

Elder Underwood nodded and took a few notes. It seemed he’d just got here when he stood and shook my hand.

“Relax Daniel. Remember, if you never need to talk, come to my cabin. You know where it is.” He smiled and was gone in moments.

That night I fell asleep feeling anxious and excited.

I woke Saturday and bounced out of bed. It was my birthday. I took a shower and was just coming out of the bathroom to get dressed when I spotted my father sitting on my bed.

“Happy birthday, Son”

“Thanks, Dad.”

“I had planned to take you out today, but Alpha Edward has called a pack meeting at noon. I have to help Beta Kelly with something before the meeting. Your mother and I will take you out for a birthday dinner unless you want to go out with your friends?”

I didn’t have any friends besides the other warriors. Most pack members were happy waving from a distance but were scared to be close to me. Towering over most pack members and being all muscle made me an intimidating figure. I was used to being a loner for the most part. What I truly longed for was my mate so I’d finally have someone I could love and trust.

“Dinner with you guys sounds great.” I smiled at Dad as he nodded and patted my shoulder as he left my room.

By noon the whole pack gathered at the stage behind the pack house. The Alpha and his family stood together, with Beta Kelly and her family, and Delta Andrew and his family. The four Warriors, one of which was my father, stood at the corners of the stage with the rest of the pack standing around watching the stage. Just before the Alpha moved to the front I noticed Susan and Seth Tremont standing at the back of the stage.

“Sorry for dragging everyone here on a Saturday afternoon, but there are a few things I need to let the whole pack know. First, tomorrow is a mating moon. We have six of our pack members who are of age and will be searching to find their mates within our pack first followed by trips to our two nearest packs early in the morning. Members from their packs will be visiting too. We wish them the blessing of Diana Luna. Second, it is with great sadness that I announce that Susan and Seth will be leaving our pack for the Golden Timber pack in Canada. Susan requires some technology they possess and they will be leaving us on Monday. I’m having a going away party here at the pack house tomorrow night. That is all.”

The pack began walking away in small groups. I overheard our pack doctor, Doc Oliver Perritte, say cancer and looked at Susan, realizing she looked thin and frail. A werewolf could break bones and die, but most illnesses we were immune to. Our shifting kept us young and healthy, with our lives measured into the hundreds. Yet cancer was one of those rare diseases that could ravish us. It was only a few years ago we had lost Franklin Tremont in a fire, and now his wife had cancer. I felt for the Tremonts and was grateful that it wasn’t my family.

That night I laid out my clothes for Sunday, said a prayer to Diana and went to bed unaware how twenty-four hours would alter my world completely.

That Sunday between my waking up and the moon rising was the hardest hours for me. I paced, played with Lyta, and drove my mom nuts. When I was sure mom was going to hit me, the phone rang. Mom answered and handed it to me.

“It’s Brandy. Talk and then go, before I kill you, mate’s moon or not!”

“We’re meeting at the practice field in ten minutes,” Brandy nearly shouted at me. “Move it.”

I ran to the field, racing like a madman. Brandy and the rest were there, as was Elder Underwood and Alpha Lumas.

Alpha stripped and shifted into a giant black wolf, and Elder Underwood began to pray. When the moon rose above the trees Alpha howled and the six of us froze in place. The second Alpha Edward stopped howling I could faintly smell blackberries and mint. The Alpha began to trot toward the pack house and I began to race past him. The closer I got toward the pack house the more intense became the smell.

As I reached the edge of the yard I spotted Alpha Edward change and rush behind the house to dress. The smell of my mate was overwhelming. I knew they were here it was just a matter of finding them. I made my way through the pack. I had traveled through the crowd ‘til I realized it was strongest when I stood before Susan and Seth. Turning in their direction, Seth shook his hair and the wind carried his scent right into my nose.

I realized with a growing horror that Seth was my mate. The sweet boy before me was the one I was destined for and he was leaving the pack tomorrow so his mother could receive treatment. I couldn’t lose my mate! I needed him, but he wouldn't recognize the bond yet and I was forbidden to tell him.

I fought back tears as I looked for help. Then I remembered what Elder Underwood told me and I ran from the party, heading straight for his cabin. As I ran I picked up speed, running nearly blindly as tears flowed down my cheeks. For once my six foot four-inch frame worked in my favor.

So things aren't looking so great. Maybe the Alpha and Elder can help?

Comments and likes are always appreciated.
Copyright © 2019 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 6
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2019 - Fall - Fall From Grace Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So his Pack is gonna get ugly at him because he has to leave as well and he can't tell them why?

So they think he is being like a deserter or something?

Hmmm...I need specifics so here we go Chapter 2!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

So his Pack is gonna get ugly at him because he has to leave as well and he can't tell them why?

So they think he is being like a deserter or something?

Hmmm...I need specifics so here we go Chapter 2!

Thank you. I was afraid no one was reading. Hopefully, all your questions are answered in chapter 2.

Link to comment

It seems strange that 'changing' will cure most diseases except cancer, one that is almost always fatal in animals. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/9/2020 at 3:40 PM, Will Hawkins said:

It seems strange that 'changing' will cure most diseases except cancer, one that is almost always fatal in animals. 

Yes. It is a dangerous thing, cancer. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..