Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,308 Words
  • 1,329 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt me not, for these are my prompts - 1. Beast

This story came about due to Prompt 223. The original prompt reads as follows : You were on your way home, arms loaded down with your groceries when you were attacked. The men who attacked you made no secret of the fact that they intended to kill you. Suddenly, from the dark a large creature came forward, destroying them and saving your life. What is this beast that saved your life?

Since the great collapse things haven’t been so easy. The cities were nearly torn apart, but out here in the suburbs and farming land, things weren’t as bad. Granted, it wasn’t as safe as it once was, but then again what is?

I’d gotten out late from work, and I moved quickly to reach Tanner’s Grocery before they closed for the evening. It seems that since the collapse, people were forced to go back to the old ways, before so much technology made life easy. Not everything has stopped working but after the crash a lot of things just don’t work the same. It all had to do with the massive meteors that had crashed into the Pacific Ocean barely a mile off the coast of Hawaii. The teenagers and kids seemed suddenly lost without their cell phones and Ipads. However, landlines work just fine and that has kept the world from a total fracture I think.

 

“Managed to get everything on your list for you, Mr. Anders.”

“Thank you, Billy. What do I owe?”

Billy nodded and moved quickly to grab the big book off the back counter.

“Actually, Mr. Anders, it comes down to an hour of work for Mrs. Winters.”

I smiled. Mrs. Winters was the town librarian. You’ve never seen anyone so happy to bring back a card catalogue and see people filing back into the library to find out information. Considering I worked as a teacher, helping her shelve books and answer questions wasn’t a major problem for me. The barter system did have some perks in my opinion, because not everywhere accepted cash anymore. The government was quick to set up a system that set how much of a service was paid for the goods bought. There was not a single case of gouging for a better price because people everywhere knew how much it was.

“Thanks Billy.”

I headed out with my small bag of groceries. Most of it was fresh vegetables and I’d splurged on a bag of coffee which is what really cost me. Coffee was getting to be rare so I’d had to cut my daily intake from a five to one, and then once a week, until it became once a month. I knew soon it would be gone but now it was my special treat.

The local town was slowly working on getting the power systems to run without the computers doing most of the work, which actually helped a load of unemployed people find work. There was still a ways to go so all the street lights would work again.

“Looky, looky. The big man has a bag of groceries. Must be nice to get such a big bag of stuff.” The man before me was huge. He towered over me, muscles thick and hands the size of my head.

I froze. Before me stood one of the new gangs. They weren’t interested in cash or barter, they just took what they wanted in most parts of the country, but so far they hadn’t really been out this far. Seems I was learning not to trust the gossip.

“And look at the fine cut of his clothes. Bet they would cost you a lot in the old world.” I moved slightly and caught sight of the new speaker. Smaller, but vicious in so many ways. There was scar down the side of his face which he drew attention to by holding up his knife alongside of it.

“Just gut him and take what we need.” There was another of the gang; this one had to be the leader. Big but when he spoke the other two moved.

The one with the knife smiled widely as he cut me off from the way I’d come. The bruiser simply grabbed a piece of wood that lay on the ground, effectively cutting me off from the left side. The gang leader moved in from front. That left only a pitch dark alley behind me.

I slowly backed up till I felt the wall on the right side of me. The smile on the one with the knife just grew larger as his partners herded me together. It was then that I heard the growl behind me.

“Fuck, how many of them are there?” Even I could hear the fear in my voice. I should have left earlier, but too late for those regrets now.

I didn’t even get to turn around as the leader smoothly pulled from his pocket and shot his taser into me. I jerked, dropping my grocery bag and hit the floor. The last thing I remember is seeing a flash of black from the alley behind me. Morpheus seemed to just sweep me into his world at that moment.

I was out for a minute, maybe less. I heard a funny sort of grunt and then silence. Slowly I sat up and could feel the bump already rising from where I hit my head falling to the ground. I reached down and pulled the darts out of my shirt and skin. My whole body tingled. It took a moment for me to realize that the gang wasn’t a threat any longer.

My vision was a bit off as I watched the large creature move toward me. I knew from looking at his claws I should be afraid, but I also slowly recognized him.

“You’re late again, Mark!”

His voice was deep and strong, which rumbled through my body easing my sudden tension.

“I got stuck at work. I told you, children have problems and need help occasionally. They aren’t like yours; they aren't left in a brood with one being to take care of the many till they can live on their own.”

Damian stepped into the light and set me on my feet, then went about gathering up the odd vegetable that had slipped out of the bag when I dropped it. His strong body moving with total confidence. I couldn’t help but wince as he speared the head of lettuce with his tail instead of simply picking it up.

“Let’s get you home.”

I shook my head. The world wasn’t the same after the collapse that was sure. It seems every day there are new discoveries of plants, animals, and insects. I wonder what they would say if they found out that Gargoyles were set free as well.

“You just want me to cook for you.”

“Among other things.”

“Beast!”

“No, Gargoyle. How many times must I explain that to you?”

“Damian, you honestly have to keep up with the changes in language.”

“Mark, you have to keep up on your creatures.”

As Damian’s claw gently helped me to stand, I took in the carnage around me. The metallic smell of blood and garbage filled the air. This gang wouldn’t be able to hurt anyone again, that much I knew from Damian's calm demeanor. I began to shiver as I seen the destruction wrecked on them, though they had no pity from me.

“It is no worse than what they planned for you.”

I shook my head knowing he was right, even if it didn’t settle me down. He spread his massive midnight wings and lifted into the sky. I knew he would hover above, watching over me as he had done, since I had found the rookery where his clan’s eggs were and kept them safe. In the old world every cell phone, corner camera, and amateur photographer would have captured his image and he would probably have been in some government lab. Instead the secret existence of the gargoyles was mine to keep and had been for a while. The last of the eggs would soon hatch and we would see what became of these creatures of myth that had stepped out into a strange new world.

So that was my take on Prompt 223 - the beast. Well what did you think? If you enjoyed the tale let me know. I promise to answer all reviews. Thank you for taking the time to read my tale.
Copyright © 2013 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a realistic post apocalyptic world you've fabricated here. I like the image of crying teenagers without their cell phones LOL. The gargoyles were a strong contrast that I would love to see the discovery of. There's definitely a beginning to be expanded on.

 

Nice work :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

But...but...now I want more! It was a wonderful start and has potential to continue. Saying that 'The world has changed,' is an understatement. Did the meteor that hit the ocean open up the new discovery of these new plants and animals?

Cool prompt, hope you expand :thumbup:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/13/2013 12:34 PM, K.C. said:
But...but...now I want more! It was a wonderful start and has potential to continue. Saying that 'The world has changed,' is an understatement. Did the meteor that hit the ocean open up the new discovery of these new plants and animals?

Cool prompt, hope you expand :thumbup:

Let me see how I can answer that - No, no, no. No more stories till I finish the three I have going now.

 

I'm glad you enjoyed it though KC. I feel like with everything going on I am losing my edge.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/13/2013 12:18 PM, Mann Ramblings said:
This is a realistic post apocalyptic world you've fabricated here. I like the image of crying teenagers without their cell phones LOL. The gargoyles were a strong contrast that I would love to see the discovery of. There's definitely a beginning to be expanded on.

 

Nice work :)

Well naturally the younger the person the more of an impact. Face it if tomorrow we had to go back to using cassette tapes, we might grumble but we know how to do it. Today's teenagers would scream bloody murder. lol. After having seen what others, yourself included, had done with the topic I wanted to make sure I took it in a completely different direction.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very descriptive without tonnes of words. In just that little bit you gave such a clear picture of the world Mark now lives in. No cell phones but they have landlines.....But omg almost no coffee that's it shoot me dead now. I loved the gargoyle. Only problem I see with story us...there isn't enough..It was just a taste, a teaser I want more please!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your response to the prompt. The world without advanced technology was thought provoking...how would I fare in a world without Siri and my iPhone?

Thanks for sharing the story with us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/14/2013 02:45 PM, Swhouston44 said:
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your response to the prompt. The world without advanced technology was thought provoking...how would I fare in a world without Siri and my iPhone?

Thanks for sharing the story with us.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That is the one nice thing about the prompts, you never know where they might end up taking you.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/13/2013 05:28 PM, Daithi said:
Very descriptive without tonnes of words. In just that little bit you gave such a clear picture of the world Mark now lives in. No cell phones but they have landlines.....But omg almost no coffee that's it shoot me dead now. I loved the gargoyle. Only problem I see with story us...there isn't enough..It was just a taste, a teaser I want more please!!
Grr. What is it with people wanting me to expand these. lol. Oh well. Glad you enjoyed. I never say a solid no but have a few other projects on the line now.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..