Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 911 Words
  • 819 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt me not, for these are my prompts - 7. A Bit Too Much - Prompt 274

Based off prompt 274 - “Is that honestly what you think of me?”
Amy is hosting the holiday office party when someone decides to tell her exactly what he thinks of her.

“Is that honestly what you think of me?”

James turned and faced Amy. She stood there holding a tray of food that shook as held it, facing the small circle of people.

“Honestly, yes. I find you to be an overbearing, intrusive, aggravating little bitch who always wants to be in the middle of everything. Truthfully, I think you should simply learn to shut up once in a while.”

“James,” Teresa reached out and pulled his arm, “do you have to be so rude.”

James ignored his wife and continued to talk.

“I mean you always have to know every detail. So now you can you know it all about yourself.”

Amy stood still for a moment, then the tray fell and she ran from the room in tears.

“Christ, James,” began Mark, “what did she do to piss you off that badly?”

“I can’t fucking believe you. How could you say that to her?” Marcia glared at James before bending down to begin picking up pigs in a blanket from the floor.

“This is her party in case you forgot asshole!” Lisa added as she flipped him the bird. She walked over and began to help Marcia clean up.

“I’m going to check on her.” Teresa began to cross the room. “You stay there and you better be damn sure not to upset her any further.”

A few people who had been on the other side of the room wandered over to hear what had happened and why Amy had run out of the room.

James began to feel like a total shit as what he said finally registered. He had made a mistake in drinking so much, and now his mouth had run off and made him look like an ass.

The women finished cleaning up the spilled tray of food and went off to the kitchen. Everyone else began to gather near the hallway. Every single person pointedly didn’t talk to James. Moment by moment he was feeling smaller and smaller.

Finally Teresa came out. She looked pale but she faced everyone.

“I’m sorry everyone. Amy won’t be coming back out. The party is over. If everyone would, please, gather their belongings and head out. Amy will see you all back at work on Monday.”

James stood there silently as people began heading to the hall closet and getting their coats. Someone turned off the music. There were soft words spoken and dirty looks tossed his way. Not one person came over to say good night or to wish him a happy holiday. Suddenly, he was feeling very sober, stupid, and he knew he had yet to face the worst part of the night.

“James, I am only going to say this once. Amy is young, impressionable, and has only ever wanted to make a good impression on you and everyone else.” James looked at his wife as she stood with her arms across her chest staring at him. “You embarrassed her, made her feel stupid, and all while she was holding one of the staff parties at her home, because the company wasn’t going to pay for it.”

James slid into one of the straight back chairs that had been set on edge of the room.

“She paid for everything tonight, including the alcohol you drank so freely of. Then you took it upon yourself to rip that poor girl apart, in front of the other people from the office, in her own home.”

“I …”

Teresa held up her hand. “I don’t care, James. For the first time in our married lives I am ashamed of you.”

James sat there and didn’t move.

“You deserve to know that I think you are an overbearing idiot who purposely picks on someone weaker than you who only wanted to make you proud. I hope you are happy, James.”

There was the squeak of a door. A moment later, Amy came down the hall.

“I thought,” she whispered, “everyone had gone.”

“I’m sorry Amy. Just didn’t want you to come out to a mess.” Teresa held a few of the glasses in her hand and looked sharply at her husband as she left the room.

James stood and slowly made his way toward Amy. She had her back to him and was gathering up the last few plates that had been left on coffee table.

“Amy ... I’m,” James tried to explain.

“Don’t bother. You let me know exactly what you thought of me. Don’t worry. I won’t’ bother you again with anything. I can guarantee you that I won’t intrude or be a bitch in any way to you. I realize now you can’t be friends with some people. I would appreciate it,” she paused and swallowed before speaking again, “if you and your wife would leave now. I don’t want you here.”

Teresa came out just in time to hear the end of the conversation.

“Of … of course. James, get our coats. Amy, I’m so sorry.”

Amy stood there looking lost. Unshed tears filled her eyes as she stood silently in the middle of her own living room.

James shook his head and went to get Teresa’s and his coats. He realized as his wife took her coat and silently slid into it just how badly he screwed up tonight. James had a feeling that the cold outside was nothing compared to the reception his wife and coworkers would give him after tonight’s stupidity.

So that is my take on that prompt. Sorry been a bit down lately and it is making my work a bit dark. What did you think of it? Did I capture the mood? Comments are always welcome. If you liked it don't forget to hit that little button.
Copyright © 2013 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

We have all known a James at one time or another. An Amy too for that matter. He was certainly entitled to his opinion, and what he said could very well be true, but that wasn't the time or place to express it. Unfortunately the James' of the world never realize that till the damage has been done!

 

You captured the emotions of the situation beautifully Wayne!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Nicely done. What an awkward, awful moment that would take a miracle to undo. I think we've all seen a variation of this moment somewhere in our lives.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

That was a dose of reality. We actually have both kinds of those people in the world, but, hopefully, both of your characters learned from a horrible situation! Good job. It really did reflect your bad mood :P

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/07/2013 10:11 AM, knotme said:
I'm sorry you're down, but I like the result! My gut wrenched. I'm so glad I don't drink.
I think we all know someone who has had too much to drink and they open their mouth. Once they do, you just don't know how it is going to go. Glad you liked it.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/07/2013 05:28 AM, joann414 said:
That was a dose of reality. We actually have both kinds of those people in the world, but, hopefully, both of your characters learned from a horrible situation! Good job. It really did reflect your bad mood :P
Yeah been a bit out of it lately and this and the story before it are both sort of depressing. Fits my mood. Glad you read it though Jo.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/07/2013 12:57 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Nicely done. What an awkward, awful moment that would take a miracle to undo. I think we've all seen a variation of this moment somewhere in our lives.
Yeah, sort of changes the dynamics for both people, and everyone they interact with. One of those moments when everything sort of goes to hell and you have no one but yourself to blame.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/06/2013 11:58 PM, Kitt said:
We have all known a James at one time or another. An Amy too for that matter. He was certainly entitled to his opinion, and what he said could very well be true, but that wasn't the time or place to express it. Unfortunately the James' of the world never realize that till the damage has been done!

 

You captured the emotions of the situation beautifully Wayne!

I always like a slice of life scene. Things are always worse when you mix in alcohol. This is just one of those moments.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I really liked this prompt. It captured very well how each party could feel after a moment like that.
As for his wife's reaction, I do think he will be sleeping on the couch for a long while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/20/2015 09:01 PM, Caz Pedroso said:

I really liked this prompt. It captured very well how each party could feel after a moment like that.

As for his wife's reaction, I do think he will be sleeping on the couch for a long while.

Yeah he is going to be paying for that one for a long, long time. Major screw up

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..