Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 560 Words
  • 1,144 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Musings of a Mongoose - 3. Mind's Prison

Mind's Prison:

 

These halls are haunted, these walls are screaming.

Each dream is a chain which holds me bound.

My life is distorted beyond your redeeming,

For the darkness persists even when you're around.

I doubt you could set me free,

'cause I'm stuck here eternally.

A prison of my own design,

No escape from the cell I create in my mind.

 

I pace and I pace and I pace every day.

No one understands how these bars block my way.

They all see my smile, but they can't read my eyes.

They can't see that I'm dying inside.

These halls are haunted,

These walls are screaming.

Though chained in my cell I'll never stop dreaming.

 

I can hear your voice if I try hard enough,

The jailors gave you a cell next to mine.

Encouraging me to never give up,

That I'll be free somewhere down the line,

I hope you can set me free,

And bring an end to this insanity.

The vision of my own demise;

The only escape from the cell in my mind.

 

Thoughts race and they race and they race every day.

No one understands how these thoughts block my way.

They all hear me laugh, but they don't hear my sighs.

They can't hear that I'm dying inside.

These halls are haunted,

These walls are screaming.

Though choking on stale air won't keep me from dreaming.

 

I awoke when they told me I'd have company,

Then you were there, even though I was not,

Prepared for a cellmate, no matter your beauty,

I preferred lonely misery, or so I thought.

But you can't set me free.

No, this prison is my destiny,

But there's a difference now, I'm no longer blind,

I can see that the cell only exists in my mind.

 

I chase after your grace in this space every day,

Because you understand how my mind blocks my way.

Your laughs, and smiles, your sighs and your eyes,

They fill me with light and fire inside,

These halls are haunted,

These walls are screaming,

But the ghosts and the pain disappear when I'm dreaming . . .

About you.

 

You erase all thoughts racing and pacing my brain,

Your touch and your breath can drive me insane,

But I want this, I need this.

I need you, and chains and bars be damned.

The stale air can choke me, but I'll breathe in your scent.

This stale cell can eat me, I'm done paying rent.

We're moving out, love.

Let's get out of here.

The cell no longer exists.

 

Today I left behind the haunted halls,

I stepped through the bars, and held out my hand.

You took it in yours, and ignored the screaming walls,

And we walked away together, like you always planned.

Together we'll be free.

This prison is a memory.

And we'll keep moving forward, and never rewind.

I'll never return to the cell in my mind.

 

I paced and I raced and I chased every day,

For unbound dreams and of lands far away,

For laughter and smiles, and a reason to fight,

For all the things in me which keep me alive.

To feel I was wanted.

To continue dreaming.

All I want is to continue dreaming.

Dreaming.

Dreaming . . .

Of you.

Copyright © 2017 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

This should be set to music, Sam. I can see this being a big hit. ;) I can relate to being a prisoner of my mind. The ending was filled with hope. Nicely done. :hug::kiss:

Link to comment

:) in a :( way. So many relatable feelings and emotions, expressed so well. The ending was just what I needed today, in the depths of my typical February darkness. Good serendipitous timing, eh? Keep on going, remember the bars but don't touch them. Remember the escape. :)

Link to comment

I could feel the anguish and pain as I was reading this, as it is mine, also. Time and time again love saves, only to have the cell return when love leaves.

Link to comment
On 02/14/2017 08:55 AM, Valkyrie said:

This should be set to music, Sam. I can see this being a big hit. ;) I can relate to being a prisoner of my mind. The ending was filled with hope. Nicely done. :hug::kiss:

I actually have a musician buddy of mine looking it over already. It was written as a song, and I have every intention of it becoming one. With any luck, I'll be able to hear it sometime this year. If we do, I'll make sure we get it up on YouTube.

 

This is probably the most easily a song or poem has ever flowed from me. I wrote this in less than an hour, and I think I've only channeled the muse that well once. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Link to comment
On 02/14/2017 11:18 AM, Lux Apollo said:

:) in a :( way. So many relatable feelings and emotions, expressed so well. The ending was just what I needed today, in the depths of my typical February darkness. Good serendipitous timing, eh? Keep on going, remember the bars but don't touch them. Remember the escape. :)

This was exactly what I needed to write in the depths of my typical February darkness, so I completely understand. I'm glad it was able to help you out, and know that the love expressed herein is a universal love. Let's escape together, brother, shall we? :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/14/2017 03:45 PM, Buddy Blue said:

I could feel the anguish and pain as I was reading this, as it is mine, also. Time and time again love saves, only to have the cell return when love leaves.

There's a hidden meaning, one I wanted to touch on with the lyrics but I'm not sure I did it justice. I wanted to communicate a universal love, where it's not necessarily a love of an individual which frees us, but love in general. This means, as long as we are filled with the power of love, we can exit the cell at our bidding.

 

It's similar to the message I was trying to convey in my story "Across the Pool", now that I think about it. Maybe, in a way, this poem is a reflection of that same spirit?

 

Thank you for the review. :)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

Absolutely relatable. Beautifully written and expressed.

Thank you!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..